520lber caught!

tyurke

Broadbill:

Anyone catch anything worth speaking of this weekend? Carps, skates? What the hell kind of skates are you guys catching? Is it a flat fish like a stingray?

Lets hear some reports.

-Scott

Scott

Here is a link to the write up on the last AN meeting during which Common Skate were targeted (one day only due to weather) There's a few pics there as well.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb...=2;t=005745;p=1

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ColinW:

"Butcher one some day" Fat chance I'll ever be able to do that :( I didn't mean to patronise, it wasn't a biology lesson, just a statement of fact.

To me, the similarity to mako shows how animals that spend millions of years adapting to a certain lifestyle end up coming to the same solutions even though they start from completely different roots doesn't it. Ever see a picture of a Tasmanian wolf? It was a marsupial with a pouch like a kangaroo, but it looked for all the world like a dog. Proof of evolution if ever it was needed :)

Hi Colin,

I didn't mean the reply as condecending, I actually appreciate good input to a discussion. I guess with the tone of the rest of this thread everyone's on edge. No need anymore... I think we've all come more to center here now.

Work is for those who don't know how to fish!

Broadbill:

Anyone catch anything worth speaking of this weekend? Carps, skates?

No Carp in the sea, Scott - we leave those to the puddle bashers :D

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Jabee, I looked at the link you sent. Those fish definately have leverage on yall. Any good to eat, or is it just a sport fish? Beautiful country in those pictures, Scenery always adds to the enjoyment of trip. We just look at powerplants, condos, and landfills.

Warrior

Hopefully Davy Holt will be on later to give more comprehensive information, but for now, Common Skate were at one time pretty widespread around the Scottish, Southern UK and Irish Coasts. Intensive fishing by longliners all but wiped them out to the point where anglers can now only target fairly localised small populations on the NW coast of Scotland and Western Ireland. All the fish are returned.

You're right about the scenery by the way. These fish are caught hard on the sea bed in deep water and it can take a while

to get them moving, during which time you can just lean back and enjoy the scenery :) .

[ 17. October 2005, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: jabee ]

Warrior:

What depth and what water temp do yall fish in? I thought I read cold water earlier.

I'll leave the depth information to the local folks but as to the sea temps, they are more than a little cooler than ours unless you are getting up past Cape Cod.

Posted Image

Posted Image

[ 17. October 2005, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Warrior:

Like I said the other day, "We kill to eat, they kill whatever eats"

What depth and what water temp do yall fish in? I thought I read cold water earlier.

Hiya,

Most of my fishing for the skate is done in 300' down to 550' fishing at anchor and hard on the bottom :)

Temp wise the water is at 13 degrees just now and dropping, it will go down to around 8 degrees over the winter and max out at 15 degrees in the summer.

There is loads of info on the Common skate in the tagging section of my website : www.catchalot.co.uk

And plenty of pics of some of the motley crew on this forum in the galleries

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

I got a picture, perty close to a record from the shore i.e; no boat required :cool:

I'v been registered with your forum, for about 4 years, Had some log in probs, emailed eric more than a few times.

Look out s florida, do a search for n4lly and you will see years of who know what

[ 18. October 2005, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: n4lly ]

1509tarpon_75_.gif

Hi

We also fish for these shark known as tope over here but the soup fin shark in other countries. as you can imagine that name doesn't go down well here.

Posted Image

This fish was a potential British record and was tagged and released.

It was caught on a 6-12 lb class rod and a Penn 975 LD reel

[ 18. October 2005, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Ian Burrett ]

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk