520lber caught!

tyurke

Scotty T:

That pic has REALLY p@ssed me off, a magnificent fish dead on the quayside, not as if it was going to smash a record. 99% of us brits are responsable anglers tyurke, some American sports fisherman are clearly out of a different mould and easily impressed, I suggest you save those pics for your american forums. I for one am NOT impressed :mad:

That fish would have been a grander in a few years

Scotty

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I am so disappointed with my Brit’ brothers. Your ignorance is profound. We yanks especially here in Florida have done more for endangered gamefish species than the rest of the world combined. Costa Rica is the only other country that comes close. We entertain vast number of Brits who come to our waters to fish for species not found in any other waters due to over fishing. Keep in mind the other countries, where the fishing is great is due to their remoteness and they don’t get the pressure, this being the reason for quantity of gamefish still available in their area. If they don’t follow our lead it won’t be that way for long.

Take the time to do some research before you spew out your nonsense. Here in Florida we have band longline and gillnet fishing to give fishes a chance. We have many regulations, from seasons, catch & release to size limits, both under and over in species like snook. The swordfish or Broadbill swordfish is a prime example of resource management, and is showing excellent results. Longline fishing is prohibited, and there is a size limit of 47 inches from fork of tail to tip of lower jaw and a max of 3 fish per boat, which is rarely reached. Again if you took the time to do some reading on the subject you would know this. Our swordfish are making a comeback unlike swordfish anywhere else in the world.

It is also very apparent that you have no idea what it takes to catch one of these awesome fish. All you guys ever see of these fish is the end, where the fish being weighed. This isn’t Carp fishing with dough balls! We travel 15 to 30 miles offshore at night, with a full crew of at least a Capt., 1st mate, and angler, in all types of weather. This isn’t a fish that you use a dip net to get it in the boat. A harpoon or flying gaff with a gap of 8 to 10 inches is needed just to keep them along side the boat. We harvest the swordfish we catch. We don’t catch them for trophies. We here in Florida look down upon those that kill fish for trophies. In fact, mounted fish are all plastic replicas these days in America. We measure the fish take pics, the release them alive. This info is used to make the mount.

We eat Swordfish, that is why we keep them. It is called harvesting. I know you Brits aren’t known for your cuisine so you may not understand this. By the way how does Fox taste? Talk about sportsman! And you don’t even eat it, what a country.

Do you know the difference between Swordfish and Marlin. Do some research!

You guys are pathetic!

Sorry my first post has to have this tone.

Posted Image

Yes, the Yanks are here.

[ 14. October 2005, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Night Fighter ]

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Night Fighter,

Bring it on man! If ignorance could be caught with hook and line these guys would have no trouble catching all of it they could want, they've got plenty! Hell, there's enough ignorance over there on this subject that we could make a bridge out of it from there to here. Hey, wait a minute... never mind, most of them might cross this bridge to fish here! Oh nooooooo! LOL!

On the lighter side, where do you fish out of here in FL?

Work is for those who don't know how to fish!

Fin-S:

Hi boats and ya'll,

Good post...

I will be at Bud 'n Marys in early November and who knows, we may be able to share a cold one after eating some fish and releasing some swords.

Look us up when you are coming over and we'll see about those cold ones. Problem is we're 2 1/2 hrs north of Bud 'n Mary's in N. Miami. Try us anyway. S. Africa, huh? Cool! You guys get some good stuff there too, poor brits... :o Cell 305-345-9444 anytime.

[ 14. October 2005, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: BoatsMiami.com Yacht Sales ]

Work is for those who don't know how to fish!

Hey boats miami, You ever fish the corner or west end for swords? I'm about 2 hours north of you, and we frequent those areas for tuna,grouper,and wahoo. We haven't tried swords there yet, but instead of going to cat, because of rediculous fuel prices, we are going to stay closer to home this winter/spring. Maybe even go back to the abacos.

BoatsMiami.com Yacht Sales:

Night Fighter,

Bring it on man! If ignorance could be caught with hook and line these guys would have no trouble catching all of it they could want, they've got plenty!

On the lighter side, where do you fish out of here in FL?

I'm in Delray, and fish for Swordies anywhere form Key Largo to West Palm. And for you tree huggin' Brits, I've released plenty "legal" swordfish well over the 47 inch limit.

Posted Image

quote:

Originally posted by BoatsMiami.com Yacht Sales:

quote:

Can I ask you a personal question? And I'm being very serious so please be frank. I mean no disrespect to you, but what species do you fish for? Do you fish from land or from a boat? Fresh or saltwater? I truly want to understand where all this negative feedback comes from.

Can I ask you a personal question? And I'm being very serious so please be frank. I mean no disrespect to you, but what species do you fish for? Do you fish from land or from a boat? Fresh or saltwater? I truly want to understand where all this negative feedback comes from.

I understand if someone does not have experience with this kind of fishing that it is hard to make an educated comment or give relevant feedback. Your answers to the above will make me better understand your position.

Should we release fish mortally weak to feed the sharks, or is that prime meat better off feeding those who enjoy it?

What you guys apparently don't understand is that fish of that size, when unexpectedlycaught on fairly light 50-80 lb gear, have a hard time reviving after a long fight. The lactic acid build-up in the muscles somewhat 'parylizes' the fish, thus making its recovery after a hard battle almost impossible.

Hardly a negative attitude considering I'm simply opposed to the wanton killing of any large creature simply for egotistical trophy pics, I would have thought that to be a positive attitude. No?

As for fishing like many in the UK I'm fortunate that I live in an area rich in different types of fishing. I regularly sea fish, both from boats and from the shore. I'm also a very serious pike angler and enjoy fishing for tench and carp when I get the chance. I am passionate about my sport and have been since childhood. :)

My position to comment has nothing at all to do with my personal experience, I'm NOT criticising you on how you go about catching them, I'm simply criticising your seemingly endless need to slaughter them and then pose with the corpse! Understand?

From your explanation, I see you unexpectedly catch them, and then unexpectedly tire them out before finally unexpectedly killing them?? Don't think so do you ?

Would have thought that it more responsible that you made sure you went equipped with suitable gear for the task in hand, that could bring these large fish to boat sooner and in a far fitter state and capable of being released? That's why I use 80lb braid when lure fishing for pike, I don't want the fish to give its all during the fight, it's not in anyone’s interest and certainly not for the pike!

Or am I simply missing the point? No big dead fish, no trophy pic, no bulging ego!!

"Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Night Fighter:

I know you Brits aren’t known for your cuisine so you may not understand this

And your contribution would be what? Cheeseburgers

I won't comment on the rest of the crap you've spouted.

Ignorant Tosser!

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."