520lber caught!

tyurke

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BoatsMiami.com Yacht Sales:

Never have I needed an 80 lb test 'rope' to bring them in unharmed, not even a 20#'er. 12 lb always did the trick. This means our base line for this conversation is different. You prefer to surf a fish in, skittering it across the surface to the net, and I prefer to fight him where he has a chance to win also. Now you're saying that light tackle angling (relatively speaking) is a bad thing? Start spweing that crap and I'm sure a few of your countrymen will swim over to our side of this debate for sure.

Rope? Nope...get a grip, It's braid, I use 80lb test power pro for all my jerkbaits and 50lb for all my deadbaits when piking. Reason is simply, 80lb braid can take the punishment of casting jerkbaits all day in some snaggy, rocky scottish loch and is powerfull enough to get a snagged fish out without losing it. It has the diameter of about 16lb mono...so is hardly rope!!

All this talk of sport is rubbish, catching the fish IS the sport, tiring a fish excessively so it is unable to be safely returned or even losing it where it may get snagged and die a slow death is simply irresponsible and has nowt to do with sport. I wouldn't dream of using anything less as a lost fish can be a dead fish

Now, back to our topic...

You apparently fish for smaller species, not a dig, but an observation. If you've never battled a brute of a fish like these, please do so before making accusations as to someone's motivation in standing next to one on a meat pole.

Oh, really! Pictures of grinning yanks with huge dead fish strung up on your aptly named "meat pole" do sort conjure up less than sportsman like images to me? Gee whizz, it must be me, huh?

Do you think he left the dock saying, "Gee, I hope I get something really big to kill for no reason tonight! I really need to show off.".

The accusations you made of him wanting to kill the fish solely for a photo op are, I'm sure, unfounded. I'll even bet you that he was sorry for even hooking one that big in the first place, 'cuz I know he felt the after effects on his body for days to come.

I don't know what he thought or for that matter do you? So therefore our views are of equal merit.

Killing fish solely for bragging rights and not making use of the flesh is wrong, I, and I'm sure the other 'Yanks' as you call us, would well agree. We all are in awe of these great creatures, big or small, there's no arguement there.

My god, we finally agree on something! Watch out or you'll start tree hugging! I hear it's catching!

Where I would disagree however, is that when you do decide to kill one for food, it should be photographed when still alive and not posed cold and dead with the angler beside it in typical "big game hunter" pose as that is both brash and abhorrent and does not do the image of sportfishing any favours. If you cannot see that you sir are truelly a fool!

It's hard to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent... shall I send you some of my leftover ammunition? LOL!

Oh dear, once again you refer back to guns, you seem to be obsessed by them. Better make sure the safetys on there buddy, don't want you shooting yourself in the ass! :D

"Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Norrie,

Yes the Scots, Irish and Welsh are Celts (so are the Cornish who are also English).

All people who live on the island of Great Britain are called Britons, not just the English. In the same way that all people who live on the island of Ireland are called Irish, even the British people of Northern Ireland.

Confused? I certainly am :)

well looks like the yanks have come back with a good barrage of return fire! at wich point most of the original posters have run for cover or turning ther jackets inside out!

far play as a few points wre shot to bits.

but i still stand by my original comments. standing about trying to look hard with a big dead stupid animal that you have some how managed to outwit ! and haul abourd with the help of a 200lb+ frame and a pair of sazuki engines!

sorry nothing brave nothing hard about that!

woopy doo its a big lump of meat!

frankly i find it childish and a bit backward!

but hay fill up ya freezer!

and be the big hunter gathering heros that u ar lol! ;-]

no point agueing realy! u just get that BUT WE AR AMERICAN! Stance so ther for its ok! no wonder ther the most hated country on the planet! by the amount of bullet, rape, and stabbing wound casualtys going in A&E every day it would appear they hate them selves as much!

fare play to em thats wot i say lol

[ 14. October 2005, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: geffaz ]

I,ve had the odd go at sea/sport fishing, to be taken out to a spot or an area by the boat skipper told what to do and just wait for it to happen is not my idea of fishing. Perhaps if it were my boat and I was making the decisions I would feel happier. I am aware that in some areas fish are killed for food, the odd trout or three may have sucumbed to my rod, but I,m also aware that fish are killed to promote the boats prowess. There is a fundimental difference in the two stances, one is reasonable the other is not, you pick which one. I,ve had my share of trophy fish and apart from one which was set up in the fishery photos of live fish will surfice. Strangly I too read the odd book, I suggest our american friends try and read some "english" books if you can find it start with "Confessions of a carp angler" thats written about a fish that is classed as vermin in the states, we tend not to class fish in this way, well apart from the odd "game" angler, even they are a receding breed.

Ian FG:

Norrie,

Yes the Scots, Irish and Welsh are Celts (so are the Cornish who are also English).

All people who live on the island of Great Britain are called Britons, not just the English. In the same way that all people who live on the island of Ireland are called Irish, even the British people of Northern Ireland.

Confused? I certainly am :)

Ian, Sorry mate...have a read at this one.... The last section in particular.... :D All about the Welsh, Irish, and US...being the same tribe.... :P

http://www.ibiblio.org/gaelic/celts.html

[ 14. October 2005, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

I`m beginning to lose track of what this thread is all about. Are we discussing a cracking capture by a seventeen year old or trying to start a war?

A 500 lb plus fish, a seventeen year old, a fish that was caught legally (I assume and have no reason to doubt) caught in what has now been fully explained within the terms of a highly regulated fishery and which was then put to good use. Whats the big deal??? Lets go onto the Cairns forum next and complain about dead black marlin, or an African one about dead sharks or a russian one about dead sturgeon. Is it actually any of our business over here? Scopex may give a reasonable explanation for the sporting merits of 80lb braid for his piking but that`s his opinion. What ever did we do for years when all we had was mono. Sporting it may well be and everyone is perfectly entitled to take the high moral stand as long as they remember what we "sporting" people actually do. At its` most basic we stick a large pointed bit of metal into a fishes mouth (or close by) prevent it from swimming normally whilst presumably causing it considerable stress of some sort. We then proceed to haul it out of its` natural environment and light and probe further into its` mouth to remove said lump of sharp metal. We then claim to be goodie goodies by returning it. Bovine excrement. Ours is a blood sport, live with it or go golfing.

so were the f*ck do i stand! my mums from the douglas clan! (scot) married my dad his mum was german and his father was norwegian. so im a celt + teutone +viking! nasty mix

ther is a bit of hope tho ther is neither french or irish blood in my vanes ;-]