520lber caught!

tyurke

Scopex, your comments are based on assumptions, and this is where my problem with them lies.

First off, I've caught more than my fair share of Northern Pike, Pickerel, and Muskies, having grown up fishing NY and Canada. Never have I needed an 80 lb test 'rope' to bring them in unharmed, not even a 20#'er. 12 lb always did the trick. This means our base line for this conversation is different. You prefer to surf a fish in, skittering it across the surface to the net, and I prefer to fight him where he has a chance to win also. Now you're saying that light tackle angling (relatively speaking) is a bad thing? Start spweing that crap and I'm sure a few of your countrymen will swim over to our side of this debate for sure.

Now, back to our topic...

You apparently fish for smaller species, not a dig, but an observation. If you've never battled a brute of a fish like these, please do so before making accusations as to someone's motivation in standing next to one on a meat pole. Do you think he left the dock saying, "Gee, I hope I get something really big to kill for no reason tonight! I really need to show off.".

The accusations you made of him wanting to kill the fish solely for a photo op are, I'm sure, unfounded. I'll even bet you that he was sorry for even hooking one that big in the first place, 'cuz I know he felt the after effects on his body for days to come.

Bottom line... most fishermen respect their quarry and if they don't, they're not fisherman or sportsman. Harvesting a fish does not take away that moniker, it makes us human, the top of the food chain. Killing fish solely for bragging rights and not making use of the flesh is wrong, I, and I'm sure the other 'Yanks' as you call us, would well agree. We all are in awe of these great creatures, big or small, there's no arguement there.

It's hard to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent... shall I send you some of my leftover ammunition? LOL!

Work is for those who don't know how to fish!

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stan4massey:

Boats Miami, warrior & nightfighter,

Hey guys do`nt tar us all with the same brush.

Hey Stan,

Thanks for being brave enough to step out into the light with us. You're welcome on my boat anytime.

As for the kilt though, don't do it as I have no interest watching you climb a tower in one! LOL!

Night Fighter:

Your comments sound embarrassingly ignorant. Please don’t confuse ignorance with stupidity, I’m not mocking you, but you need to be educated,

I'm sorry but your comments seem utterly condescending and patronising and therefore worthless, I'm not mocking you, I’m simply stating a fact!

I am well able to judge for myself, whether or not I agree with the habit of posting pics of large dead sea fish on public forums for self gratification is worthy or not of my praise, without the kind offer of your afore mentioned help.

"Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Night Fighter, I'm getting really interested in this now...could be your fault too.... :D

I havent read any of Zane Greys stuff, but have read Earnest Hemmingway...really good stuff.....and an eye opener too.....but as you know at that time he killed all his catch....but times were different then.....

There is a seafood restuarant in San Diego...called Bobs on the Bay, used by Hemmingway when he was on the west coast..I use/used it regularly...they have loads of stuffed Marlin,Swordfish,etc,caught by him on the walls and, hanging from the ceiling, boats that he used too....its like a monument to the guy....

very interesting ...to me anyway.....

so much so that I had a trip out on a boat from S.D. ......crap.....not even a Cuda......took my money and never came near me after that....but, you lot have really wetted my appetite again.... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Night Fighter,

Email me next time you cross the pond, I'll take you out for a swordie. I'm 50% Scot, but don't do the skirt thing. [big Grin]

I might just do that sonner than you think. Where are you in Florida. Last time I was Ft. Lauderdale.

By the way having appeared to take the side of our American friends I`ll get the stick now. I do`nt do the skirt thing either, means your legs get covered in blood when you whack a big fish.

Scopex:

Scopex:

Your comments sound embarrassingly ignorant. Please don’t confuse ignorance with stupidity, I’m not mocking you, but you need to be educated,

I'm sorry but your comments seem utterly condescending and patronising and therefore worthless, I'm not mocking you, I’m simply stating a fact!

I am well able to judge for myself, whether or not I agree with the habit of posting pics of large dead sea fish on public forums for self gratification is worthy or not of my praise, without the kind offer of your afore mentioned help.

Scopex, Night Fighter is 1/2 right. You need to read a book... a dictionary. There you'll read the difference in his words from what your ears choose to hear. Ignorance is making decisions without first hand knowledge of a subject. Stupidity is making decisions based on knowing you don't know anything about a subject. Oh sure, no problem, I'm more than happy to clarify that for you!

[ 15. October 2005, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: BoatsMiami.com Yacht Sales ]

[/qb]

I am well able to judge for myself, whether or not I agree with the habit of posting pics of large dead sea fish on public forums for self gratification is worthy or not of my praise, without the kind offer of your afore mentioned help. [/QB]

As everyone can see stupidity has surpassed ignorance in your case.

From your conclusion I think the novel may be a bit beyond your abilities. I’ll have to ask the kids on the dock if there are any comic books out that might help you.

That’s condescending. See the difference?

Posted Image

[ 14. October 2005, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Night Fighter ]

Norrie,

your close to me. I aint got the Zane Grey book but I`ve an old copy of Saltwater Gamefishing by Peter Goadby which, about ten or fifteen years ago was more or less the bible on bluewater fishing along with his other book Blue Water, Big Fish. Your more than welcome to have a loan of it sometime.

1. I find it slightly ironic that some of those who object to trophy shots have a trophy shot for their avatar.

2. I believe that people who use personal insults in their arguments don't strengthen their case.

3. Not everyone in America has one opinion shared by all, the same is true of Britain.

4. Scots are indeed true Britons as are the English and the Welsh.