520lber caught!

tyurke

Warrior:

Hey boats miami, You ever fish the corner or west end for swords? I'm about 2 hours north of you, and we frequent those areas for tuna,grouper,and wahoo. We haven't tried swords there yet, but instead of going to cat, because of rediculous fuel prices, we are going to stay closer to home this winter/spring. Maybe even go back to the abacos.

Hi Mike,

Never tried West End for swords, but have done the rest there. It's just a long run (from either of us) to go and just give it a try. The Miami sword grounds are so hot it almost is a waste to go elsewhere. Maybe if staying there a day or two it could be worth a shot. Cat won't be open again for a while, so this winter I'd forget it. I don't think they re-open until Feb. or so. I was there the week they closed up for renovations. I think they closed July 10th. We slammed the mutton there though! HEE HEE HEE! And we didn't even throw one back! :D

Work is for those who don't know how to fish!

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boats Miami, warrior & nightfighter,

Hey guys do`nt tar us all with the same brush. Just back from tuna & marlin fishing and now looking at Cuba or Florida for swords and sails in Feb.(that time of year any good???) Does this mean I need to throw my hat in first or are all brits now barred, (would it make a difference if I`m not a true Brit but Scots?) Some of us over here do actually know the difference between a broadbill and a blue marlin, even a striped or white marlin or a black. or even a short or long billed spearfish. Believe it or not when we`re not hugging trees and getting stabbed some can even tell the difference between

a wahoo a cero mackeral a narrowband mack or a king mack.

I for one know exactly the massive conservation efforts you have put into regulating fishing over there and hats off to you for it.

By the way nice fish in the pics. What is the name of the lightsticks you`re using and where do you get them. I can only get standard green or red cylume sticks in 8 & 10inch.

Stan

Way off the HOOK. We fish for everything from Giant Bluefin to Snook. You obviously don't understand what it is like to fight a fish at night, with heavy tackle, from a boat in salt water. -cover all that- We do fish for Swordfish to eat them. If I can relese it I will. There is nothing greater than watching a beautiful marlin or sword come back to life in your hands. Even if it takes longer for me to revive him than the actual fight. I have tons of marlin release pictures is that a crime? The pictures are circulated so we-us-bastard Americans can all appreciate how strong this fishery is, and daydream about our next expedition.

Try bringing a raging swordfish to the boat in less than 30 minutes. It is not a good idea.

Contact ICCAT and bitch to them about something real... or just shut up!!!

Warrior:

We haven't tried swords there yet, but instead of going to cat, because of rediculous fuel prices, we are going to stay closer to home this winter/spring.

Hi Warrior, Can I ask what you are paying for fuel (petrol/gas) at the moment...we are on about 93p per litre...roughly about $1.50 a litre, or nearly $7 a gallon.....last time I was in CA, about 4 years ago, it was REALLY low..... :( mibbes I think about70c a litre...

It costs me around £23 to fill a 20lt tank for my boat, and I need about 3 of them for a weekends close inshore fishing..... :( which aint often.....

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Scopex, so you better understand the whole Swordfishing experience, I highly recommend you read the novel “Tales of Swordfish and Tuna” by Zane Gray

In fact I recommend it to anyone that has ever fished for sport. It is an easy read and goes quickly. Your comments sound embarrassingly ignorant. Please don’t confuse ignorance with stupidity, I’m not mocking you, but you need to be educated, and don’t seem to get the point from those trying to explain it to you. The novel, which is non-fiction, takes place from 1918 –1923, though not contemporary it will help your understanding of the Swordfish and Blue Fin tuna, and those that fish for them, much better than hearing it from us.

Enjoy your education, you will love it no matter which side of the fence you are on.

Posted Image

stan4massey:

Boats Miami, warrior & nightfighter,

Hey guys don't tar us all with the same brush

Stan

Stan,

You are right, we have them over here also.

Email me next time you cross the pond, I'll take you out for a swordie. I'm 50% Scot, but don't do the skirt thing. :D

[ 14. October 2005, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Night Fighter ]

Warrior:

Around $4.60/ gl in Cat Island. About $3.50 in West end and about 250 miles closer to home than Cat. When your boat burns 30 knots @80 gl/hr it adds up fast.

Geezus....It has gone WAY up in price over there hasnt it???.....you aint that far away from us now....price wise anyway....I've only got a 50hp on mine....does about 24 knots....and lots cheaper to run.....

When you say Cat Island, are you talking about Catalina....??? off San Diego..??? been there once on a trip with the family... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/