Pair Trawling in the Channel

Chippy

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big cod

You are right I have done very litle trawling, I think I had better start and come back to whitby, fish stocks don't sound to depleted there for the off shore boats.

Plenty of cod down here still,and large ones, mind you with the smallest tide of the year both anglers and liners did not do very well last weekend, nothing to do with no fish, they just did not feed much.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hi Big Cod, I don't disbelieve you about the big hauls, but as you say, that 500 kit haul was the biggest those lads ever had and may never be repeated; it happens but its a long way from being normal. The trouble comes when things start getting exagerated, as is human nature, as word passes down the grapevine.

The biggest single whitefish haul I ever saw, approx 2200 -2400 boxes of cod by a 55ft pair team was an unheard of fluke. It was a financial diaster for the boats involved too, as they could not even lift the net and had to tow it a long way into harbour and beach it with the tide. The fish was only fit for fishmeal then and the net was damaged. By the time they got sorted their week was more or less over and the crews pay would have been very small.

A normal haul it was not; that team would typically have landed 200 - 300 boxes of mixed species between them for a weeks work. They were a top pair of skippers too. It was just one of those once in a lifetime events.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

worzel i was out fri-mon there is fish on the wrecks, we were catching them on sqiud no big licks though best might have gone a stone the water is starting to clear at last i also had a few pollock on firetails, my mate who got 7 codlings of 8 lines was pulling his hair out i think the tides were to dead smallest of the year i think, but they have been getting a living any where up 30stone of 6 lines but it is very patchy ilike the dead tides for the inshore wrecks normally do very well of these when tides are dead fish them on big tides do crap you have to stalk them out.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Jaffa only last year when the herring spawned one of the local pair teams did just the same thing, the had a massive hall couldnt do much with it and towed it back to the harbour ,this was midday they were taking lifts in the harbour it was like mush been in the net to long they estimated 300 kit mainley small codlings and chats, but the **** hit the fan about quotas it was a silly thing to bring this fish in the harbour in the middle of the day the harbour was just full of dead small codling and chats what a waste at least they should got it aboard at sea rather foolish i think

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest jay_con

Brian Carragher:

Big Cod

If you have read some of my previous posts you will be aware that I used to be on the N.E.S.F.C. and did that for about 6 years so my knowledge of the industry whilst good is not perfect but I do know what I am talking about much as you do when talking about chartering.My comments about commercials and recreationals working together still stand good

NESFC? :confused: :confused: :confused: So the next time we want advice on crab and lobster protection we can give you a shout?

Any idea how much this body costs the public purse in an average year Brian?