Can I Sell My Fish

sam-cox

If a shore angler, or a boat angler who's catch has not blown, takes more than he needs for the pot he's doing himself and every other angler a dis-service. This action is short sighted and no better than the commercials. In this day and age with have a piece of kit called a camera.

I and all my friends who sea fish return 99% of our catch.

Only keeping the odd one for the pot or if deep hooked.

In our yesterdays we would see pictures in the angling news of anglers with huge catches of Salmon, Bass, Mullet, Cod etc. Lets keep it that way . . confined to yesterday. We live in a different world and every one of us, even you, needs to set an example.

Andrew Boyd

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought, that any angler on here, that was remotely interested in conservation, after a days fishing would NOT have any fish to sell. After all, YOU would only keep enough to eat and return the rest, wouldn't you.

With a freezer in most anglers' homes, I don't see anything wrong with bringing home the results of a good outing. It doesn't happen that often. If it does then perhaps all the doom and gloom is mis-placed.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

M.P Well done, this is anglers net isnt it? If you want to sell fish get a licence, if you dont you only take what you need. Its simple isnt it? Ive no problem with anyone taking a fish or three for the table, or fishing for a living, just struggling with this one. Selling fish for finantial gain makes the fishing commercial doesnt it? Dont know much about this subject just looking at it from a laymans point of veiw. Regards Ryan

Casting Instructor:

M.P Well done, this is anglers net isnt it? If you want to sell fish get a licence, if you dont you only take what you need. Its simple isnt it? Ive no problem with anyone taking a fish or three for the table, or fishing for a living, just struggling with this one. Selling fish for finantial gain makes the fishing commercial doesnt it? Dont know much about this subject just looking at it from a laymans point of veiw. Regards Ryan

:cool: If those of us that are old enough to remember the 2 fish limit some charter boats imposed think about it, this was commercial fishing by anglers and nobody complained about it, not the NFSA, not MAFF, not the fish markets, nobody.

Anglers had the best fishing they'd ever had, skippers had full bookings and the profits from the sale of fish, they weren't returned, and there were plenty of cod and pollock in the market. So why all the fuss now about anglers coming into port with 1,000lb of fish? I don't sell my share, I eat them and share them with friends and neighbours, nothing's wasted and we all get to eat fresh fish. I know of charter skippers with licenced boats who take out anglers at weekends and set gill nets Monday to Friday, all legal. We are in danger of working ourselves into a frenzy over a few, in comparison, fish. Let us concentrate on conserving stocks and increasing the quality and quantity of fish to be caught by anglers by seriously controlling the netters who kill more fish than they land, this is the real issue, waste. :D

I've nothing against commercials or anglers taking masses of fish, if the fishery is sustainable. However today we see a huge reduction in most fish stocks with ever growing demands come hell of high water.

If an angler return some, or all of his/her catch, we're making a small difference. But a difference for the long term good.

I look forward to the day, as in the 50's and 60's, where a shore caster could expect several decent Codling/Cod on a tide. Now a rare event, read the catch ( & match ) reports and you see Pouting, Dabs, Rockling . . wow!

Andrew Boyd

Norm B, we are on the same side. My point was simply, if your an angler you keep what you need, selling surplus fish with or without a licence starts to muddy the water, are we then going fishing or going to work? If a charter skipper wants to sell surplus fish that anglers have caught to make the trip cheaper for the angler, and they dont mind thats great. same thing for a netter who takes out anglers on the weekend great, Ive no problem with either after all both skippers are at work. If your selling fish theirs a gain, are you still fishing for pleasure or turning a profit? We all need to make a living however angling for me is all about a sustainable harvest of wild food, i cant help but think if you are turning a profit from it the sustainable bit gets further away and the next few quid is all the insentive some people need to justify their actions. Money for fish = more dead fish = less fish for the angler. Just my opinion, If you sell fish your doing it for gain, hard to justify your angling for anything but the profit. All puns intended. All the best Ryan.

So SandTiger DEFRA ceared that one up for us nicely, or did they.

Say I go out on my 16 foot dingy powered by my 35hp out board motor(when good old Steve has mended it) and catch a stone of sizeable bass, whos bass are they, who do they belong to. They are quite clearly my bass as I caught them. Now can any one name any enterty that belongs to me that its against the law to sell, there is nothing. I think you will find that nobody ever has been prosercuted for selling fish they caught from thier boat without a lisence. The only case I have heard of where anglers were nicked was by the tax man.

There needs to be some change, some clarity on the situation, may be I will auction some bass caught on my boat this summer and see if i get nicked, would at least test the situation.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

oh god, just solve the problem by joining the nfsa, then you wont be allowed to sell any of your catch :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

problem sorted

goodbye sleepless nights

taxman dont get involved

defra not worried

stocks conserved

fish a bit happier

quote:

What do you blame them 4 - no crappy polatics please!!
youl find out when youve done a few posts that its 25% political on this site

and i round it up to 900 fish per pound incase i pop a few with my nails as i collect them ,the first eye in the bag makes the otherone more difficult as they wriggle so :P

[ 27. January 2005, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson