Lower Itchen Fishery Fish In

Dick Dastardly

Very nice fish Worms! Out of interest, who controls the fishing on the Lugg? It looks a very nice river.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice fish Worms! Out of interest, who controls the fishing on the Lugg? It looks a very nice river.

Nick, some stretches are controlled by the wye and usk foundation, and I think that if you join the wild trout trust you can get a free day's fishing on a wye and usk controlled water.

Cheers, Like most rivers it's a mix of private clubs, syndicates and some free water. I'm lucky in that I have permission to fish a couple of stretches of private water but with no club or syndicate on them. I also fish some of the free stretches which can produce some very nice fish.The upper reaches (above Leominster) are better for the game fish. There are a number of fish passes and weirs in the area which is limiting the coarse fish access. A few miles below Leominster the river becomes a mixed coarse/game fishery with some very reasonable chub, pike and increasing numbers of barbel.

The river is very clean, a SSSI from source to confluence with the Wye and stuffed with otters, dippers, kingfishers etc. White-clawed crayfish are present a couple of miles upstream but I haven't found any in my regular stretches.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Cheers, Like most rivers it's a mix of private clubs, syndicates and some free water. I'm lucky in that I have permission to fish a couple of stretches of private water but with no club or syndicate on them. I also fish some of the free stretches which can produce some very nice fish.The upper reaches (above Leominster) are better for the game fish. There are a number of fish passes and weirs in the area which is limiting the coarse fish access. A few miles below Leominster the river becomes a mixed coarse/game fishery with some very reasonable chub, pike and increasing numbers of barbel.

The river is very clean, a SSSI from source to confluence with the Wye and stuffed with otters, dippers, kingfishers etc. White-clawed crayfish are present a couple of miles upstream but I haven't found any in my regular stretches.

Very interesting! I'm in the area at the end of next week, is there anywhere you'd suggest for a couple of hours trotting?

Rich

Sounds lovely, is there a good head of Grayling throughout the river or are they very localised? To echo Rich's question, where would you suggest for trotting for the Grayling?Would love to get a 2lber!

Cheers

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables

There as no double act going on we were both moaning about it :lol: ,See Rusty i told you not to give him that Sausage bap the Guy is a Cad and a Bounder ..... No wait thats me for catching a Grayling on the tip ;)

I think I did a fair bit of moaning myself. Have you decided whether you resemble Statler or Waldorf?

Where is Rusty anyway? Rusty? Rusty???? Are you there? I was going to ask you about fly fishing.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Where is Rusty anyway? Rusty? Rusty???? Are you there? I was going to ask you about fly fishing.

I'm here, just lurking in the background feeling smug that we gave you the sausage that had been dropped in my bait smock. Don't worry we washed it off in the river. :P

Fly fishing? Looking forward to some of that during the coarse close season.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back