Summer and a float and a warm summers evening!

Dave H

I wonder whether we shall have the spring blooms early this year due to moist or very moist land or maybe the opposite?

Spring is a good time for everything outdoors in my view the flowers the animals and even us. I think many cheer up with the warm bits to come.

I am showing my feminine side here?

This is worrying :whistling:

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

My front and back gardens are full of daffodils, crocii, and the other spring flowers already. Frogs are spawning in the pond, and birds are preparing nests in the boxes.

Edited by wotnobivvy

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

wotnob,

"Octopus", "cactus" and "syllabus" plurals are "octopi," "cacti" and "syllabi." But "crocus" (?) - It's acceptable to pluralize "crocus" by simply using its singular form, "crocus." We speak of a patch of "crocus," just like we speak of a forest full of "maple," "oak" and "birch."

And - I am jealous - we don't have a hint of spring yet. Early peach tree buds are still hard as rocks.

Phone

I think in the really flooded areas there will be no spring but in the general just soaked ground underneath there will be. Will there be a shortage of worms this year. I can't have that , Boilies can go and sling their hook but not the beloved worm :(

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I'm a fair weather angler. The weather is fair in the summer months and in winter, I have to fly off to the tropics.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I wonder whether we shall have the spring blooms early this year due to moist or very moist land or maybe the opposite?

Spring is a good time for everything outdoors in my view the flowers the animals and even us. I think many cheer up with the warm bits to come.

I am showing my feminine side here?

This is worrying :whistling:

The majority of things are happening on time. A few cherry blossoms about a week early, but that's all I've noticed. Crocus are always amongst the first of the spring flowers, and usually conincide with the end of the snowdrops - my garden crocus have all but finished, as have the dutch iris. The various daffodils start after this, the most common large one we are seeing at the moment is variety called February Gold, which - unsurprisingly -flowers in February. The small 'tete a tete' daffoldils are also usually very early, and mine have been out a week or so now. Some of the Magnolia's e.g. M. stellata, a blousy white flowered species which flowers before the leaves come out, look like they may be a week or two early - the buds are breaking now on the one outside my office window. One thing I've noticed which is unusual is that some hawthorn leaves are breaking out before the blackthorn has flowered. Not seen that before (that I am aware of), but it is patchy. May be due to the provenance of the thorn.

However, it's got nothing to do with the wet ground, it's the lack of frost which has brought forward the flowering. Some more trpical and meditteranean plants I grow have really suffered in the wet ground, it's often that which kills them, many can tolerate the frosts (if they ahve the anti-freezing gene).

Nowt feminine about flowers lad!

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I cant believe this thread, sure I am an OAP and I fish. Never consider the weather so long as the river is not in flood and even then I will sometimes give it a go. Sure I will moan about having to use a different and usually heavier float when the wind is blowing, but rain, snow, hail, sun, frost or fog, just don't matter when you're fishing. Adapt your methods to the quarry species and the prevailing conditions weather included.

Sure we all have a few aches and pains so what if you can get to the waterside go for it. Think about the times when age and frailty are a real problem and you can barely get down the garden or you get banged away in some care home or hospital and simply cant get out. Make the most of what you have and use your time well and carefully for you never know when there will be no more fishing for you.

After my last two heart attacks I cant wander along the bank for miles carrying my rods and tackle, now I have to use a trolley and when my MS is playing up I am truly unable to get to the bank but as soon as I am in recession and I can get moving again off out I am, even if I have to spend a while learning to walk again and gradually extending the distance I can manage. Yet out I go.

• Like 1

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God