River Monsters

Sportsman

I have just been watching Jeremy Wade fishing for Wels catfish on the Ebro

What a load of nonsense.

All he was talking about was the potential of the fish becoming man eaters.

Then, when he was returning a fish it flapped its tail and he claimed it had attacked him and he was just quick enough to escape.

Makes Robson Green look quite sensible.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

He's just sexing it up for the mass-market.

I've forgiven Robson Green a bit - mistake is to take it seriously. Watched one last night where he was trying to manhandle an octopus - "Aargh 'e's got me knackas!" :lol:

It's Top Gear with fish. In the same way that car enthusiasts are always moaning about Top Gear, anglers moan about Green. It inspired my nephew and niece to ask to go fishing, so it can't be all bad!

• Like 1

I don't know which is funnier, Green trying to be funny, or Wade trying to be serious. It's interesting to watch them both 'play up' to the audience, from too different angles. The "let's have a laugh" Green, or the serious, "be careful or it'll have your leg off", Wade. I occasionally watch both if I'm not busy, but take them both with a 'pinch of salt'. Over all, I think Green is the most watchable of the two.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I think it has to be remembered that both presenters / programs are largely on TV for their 'entertainment' value, rather than as educational / 'how-to' programs, and both can certainly be entertaining at times. That said, the problem arises when viewers (hopefully non-anglers, who would perhaps be none-the wiser), take what they see as fact, rather than with a large pinch of salt.

In their (personal) defence, Robson Green originates from up here, and until a few years back could still frequently be seen around Newcastle, and still is on occasion - I've met him on numerous occasions, both at formal functions and at the 'wrong' end of a Saturday night out, and he's actually a very decent sort of bloke - a bit 'laddish', but easy enough to talk to - and VERY keen on his fishing, though at heart he is (was?) primarily a game angler.

Jeremy Wade? Never met the guy, but suspect that I would like to - I had cause to email him via his website a few months back - with a bit a of a gripe, rather than anything else - and did not realistically expect any sort of response. Consequently I was VERY pleasantly surprised to get a quick reply from him personally (from his private email address!) that was obviously well thought-out and really quite lengthy ... it had obviously taken some considered thought, effort and time on his behalf ... and the contact continued to and fro over maybe a half dozen emails, all of the same ilk!

In either case, I'd be quite happy to be carrying the landing net whenever they venture forth somewhere exotic once more :-)

Edited by philocalist

All,

I'm with philo, and gozzer. I like gozzer's quote, "It's interesting to watch them both" for whatever reason. The operative is WATCH.

We have "bass guy shows" that are equally staged containing equally corny comments. They have brought millions of guys into bass angling. And, they are well paid for this contribution.

Phone

• Like 1

The problem with Jeremy Wade is that he is stuck with the River Monsters format of featuring a hunt for supposedly man killing freshwater fish. As a result, he features increasingly unlikely stories with every series. He had the same problem with his Jungle Hooks series where the pre planned narrative required that he stretch the catching of an Arapaima over an entire series of programs.

He's established an audience for his programmes now though and it would be nice to see him leave the killer fish nonsense behind and simply do a series where he sets out to catch some of the worlds more interesting species from unusual locations.

As for Robson Green, he's got better. In the first couple of series, he was clearly clueless. I confess that I kinda like his more recent offerings though and don't mind that the show's format has him doing at least one segment per programme where plays the tit. It broadens the audience (I know several people who enjoy his show who have never picked up a rod in their life) and gets angling on TV.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I must admit that I too have softened in my approach to Robson Green. Yes he's annoying with his shrieking and dancing every time he catches a fish but,there is a semblance of respect creeping in for the places he visits and, at last, the fish he catches.

Jeremy Wade? River Monsters leaves me cold. I just can't get into his mindset. Ok, it's done to make money but, with his zoology background he could at least be a bit more realistic.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

OK - I confess - watching Robson Greem has just had me almost peeing myself with laughter :D

Last night I was doing nothing more than innocently channel-surfing, looking for somethiong I could watch that would not tax the grey matter too much.

Entirely co-incidentally, up pops Mr Green, fliiting about over a large part of Japan.

................ which happend to coincide nicely with the fact that we've currently got a couple of Japanese girls (friends of my other half) over to visit for a few weeks, who were mildly amused - to say the least - at seeing him on UK TV, fishing in Japan.

The best bit? We were privvy to ACCURATE translations of what the Japanese locals were REALLY saying, rather than the program offerings ... totally priceless, and I cant imagine him getting many personal invites to return, based upon his perceived angling skills :clap2:

That said ... some very 'different' stuff going on over there. One clip had him fishing with what was essentially a telescopic pole (worth neck-end of three grand!), the 'bait' being a live fish of maybe 6", lightly hooked lip and anal fin, with a trailing treble ... the idea being that the 'bait' swims in amongst the target prey fish, which are then foul-hooked by the trailing treble.

The REALLY illogical bit? The 'target' fish were, on average, smaller than the bait in use!