86 replies to this topic

#61 Zigs

Zigs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:43 PM

Hi guys & gals,

just popped into A.N. for a minute to see whats going on, was amazed to see 31.000 hits on this thread, nice one.

Now if each person that has read this can pass on the info to a few more anglers, we should have the U.K. enlightened by the end of next year. After which time i'll be running for prime minister as leader of the slightly fishy party. :)

#62 Chub Frenzy

Chub Frenzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:37 PM

When you cook a mackerel is there a legal size it has to be, as i have seen people bag fish that look like they are under 6 inches long. How do you unhook them with out touching it.

#63 Leon Roskilly

Leon Roskilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,436 posts
  • Interests:Fishing (Coarse, Sea & Game), Conservation & Cycling

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

When you cook a mackerel is there a legal size it has to be, as i have seen people bag fish that look like they are under 6 inches long.

How do you unhook them with out touching it.

Yes, 30cm for the North Sea (areas IVa, IVb & IVc*), 20cm elsewhere.

*map: http://www.neafc.org/page/577

Hold the shank of the hook and shake them off.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

#64 benacre

benacre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:46 PM

I only catch enough throughout the summer for my winter Pike Campaign. I dont fill buckets up for the sake of it
I'm lucky to go fishing everyday (when the FPO allows me)

East Anglian Fishing Forum

http://www.easternanglers.co.uk/

#65 Vagabond

Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,006 posts
  • Interests:Angling, Ichthyology

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:24 AM

Cant be a sin, can it?

Most certainly not!

I think we should try to look at this in perspective. The original paper refers to :-

In the late 1970s we carried out several experiments to try to find out why dead mackerel were being found in vast numbers in the SW, co-incident with the purse seine and trawl winter fishery.

The short answer is that the fish died due to skin damage interfering with their ability to maintain osmotic balance, and the skin damage was due to abrasion between crowded fish in the nets.

ie mackerel in the order of "tons" rather than the hundreds caught by anglers.

In other words, compared to the astronomic numbers of mackerel killed by the fishing industry, the number of mackerel caught by anglers is small, and the numbers released by conservation-minded anglers is miniscule.

Releasing rod-caught mackerel does not make a ha'porth of difference to mackerel stocks.

All it does is show that those who release mackerel, care enough about our fisheries to make this token gesture. (that sounds patronising, but it really isn't meant to be - salt of the earth, such folk).

But what happens if the pre-release handling is less than perfect ? The mackerel will die, not directly because of damage to the osmotic balance, but because of impaired swimming ability, which means it is snapped up by a hungry cod, bass, tope or porbeagle. All of these fish (and others too) eat mackerel every day - and go for a sluggish one first. So your released and dying mackerel indirectly saves the life of one of its siblings (until the next bass feeding time, anyway) and at least it is returned to the marine food chain.

The paper quoted from above shows how serious trawling/seining is for mackerel stocks - there were so many injured and dead mackerel the predators could not eat them all - hence the researchers finding "vast numbers"

There is really only one sure-fire way to avoid killing mackerel, that is, when you have enough for your supper, for bait, or even for a massive bait-up with chum, STOP FISHING FOR THEM AND TARGET SOMETHING ELSE. I suppose that the best we can expect from those that continue to feather on "for sport" is that the mackerel go back into the sea in whatever condition (see two paragraphs above)

Catching loads of mackies only to dump them in a bin, on the quayside, or behind the beach is pathetic. However, it only tells us what a wally the catcher is, it doesn't REALLY make a serious dent in mackerel stocks, even though there seems a huge number of wallies out there.

If you want to see what DOES make a dent, pay a visit to a busy fishing port.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .
Certhia's world species - 215
Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato
...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

#66 MainBassMan

MainBassMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Interests:FISHING Fishing & FiShInG - CONSERVATION

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:17 AM

What no mackeral!!!!!
BassMan - The holder of Possibly Very Good Catches - Luv to fish from Yaks!!!!

#67 Brett W

Brett W

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

Any signs of the mackerel in around the south/east Devon beaches at the moment?

#68 Zigs

Zigs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

Any signs of the mackerel in around the south/east Devon beaches at the moment?

I,ve been fishing at west bay & cogden this weekend, non showing, only saw 2 landed last weekend.

Plenty of crabs on the bottom though.

#69 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,193 posts
  • Interests:Coarse, game and sea angling. Cars, gardening, cooking, lousy guitar playing. Stuff.

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:38 PM

Plenty of crabs on the bottom though.

You want to see the doctor about that. :D

#70 Zigs

Zigs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:18 PM

You want to see the doctor about that. :D

I'll rub some blue unction on em :D