A few hours out yesterday.....

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#31 AddictedToScopex

AddictedToScopex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, gym and software development. No time for anything else. =)

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:15 PM

I think it is likely that without looking properly they are just labelled as chub. I know I for one will be checking more closely from now on. 

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

#32 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,825 posts
  • Interests:fishing,fossils,researching intrepid reels and general being naughty

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:05 PM

Supposed to be better to catch in the winter so i am surprised most clubs dont stock them ,my pond could do with some theres few out in the winter and i walk down and theres only one fool to be seen out in the frost ...me LOL

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness  it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Whitby scallops caught by scottish boats best that money can buy,the nearer the shore they're dredged the better they taste

#33 lutra

lutra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • Interests:fishing

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:18 PM

Makes you wonder where they've  suddenly appeared from?

Last winters bad floods I think. Most anglers I've spoke to that target the smaller stuff or trot seem to have had one or two this summer. Seems like they are quite widespread.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

#34 Tigger

Tigger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:11 PM

Last winters bad floods I think. Most anglers I've spoke to that target the smaller stuff or trot seem to have had one or two this summer. Seems like they are quite widespread.

I've had a few deformed ones amongst the fish i've caught, these deformed ones looked healthy enough but it was another reason that I thought they where hybrids.

However they've got in there there must have been a serious number of them....i've had quite a lot this year!

#35 lutra

lutra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:46 PM

I've had a few deformed ones amongst the fish i've caught, these deformed ones looked healthy enough but it was another reason that I thought they where hybrids.

However they've got in there there must have been a serious number of them....i've had quite a lot this year!

Can't say I know a lot about them, but some of the mates used to fish on the swedish rivers and catch a lot of them, so they will probably be quite happy to stay here and be with us for good.

#36 gozzer

gozzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:09 PM

Been catching ide in the Yorkshire Calder for the last 30 odd years, no idea where they came from though. I think more are caught than we realise, because some anglers just give them a cursory glance while unhooking, and probably think they are hybrids.

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

#37 lutra

lutra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:01 PM

Been catching ide in the Yorkshire Calder for the last 30 odd years, no idea where they came from though. I think more are caught than we realise, because some anglers just give them a cursory glance while unhooking, and probably think they are hybrids.

John

No sign of them taking over then John? 

Do they get to a good size in the river?

#38 Tigger

Tigger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:10 PM

No sign of them taking over then John? 

Do they get to a good size in the river?

I just hope they don't hybridise with the roach etc...that's all we need !  

I know they put up a better fight than either the roach or dace so they're ok to wind in but i'd rather they weren't there.

#39 BoldBear

BoldBear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Golf and collecting Fishing Tackle and books.

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:22 PM

I just hope they don't hybridise with the roach etc...that's all we need !  
I know they put up a better fight than either the roach or dace so they're ok to wind in but i'd rather they weren't there.

If that happens Tigger our superb roach fishing is going to take an Ide-ing Lol.

Keith
Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

#40 Tigger

Tigger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:30 PM

If that happens Tigger our superb roach fishing is going to take an Ide-ing Lol.

Keith

If I knew for sure they would hybridise with our native species i'd knock them on the head and freeze 'em for piking.