Disclosure

trent.barbeler

Dunno about all this other stuff. But if I ever capture anything worth of publication or disclosure I will probably "loop" deciding whether to disclose or not :(

What I find amazing is the stories I hear that prompt this disclosure debate in the first place. People becoming marked men or "stalked" by the less competant. I will never understand the motivation of such individuals. As I lead a closetted angling existance I accept all these as real issues, out side of my experience. It is therefore just very sad that we cannot all disclose our successes, particularly those of you on here that have the ability and dedication to push the envelope, for all to share.

Is this a good argument for syndicating every water :confused: as a way of avoiding the migratory leeches that seem to hound the able and the fish they find.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Lee….et ALL.

One reply……..My known facts as known by me to be true.

Debate amongst yourselves if you wish after this post but I shall not. Not for any worries on my part but because there is no need for me to do so. I initially posted because I thought the attack on the Hazelford Piscatorial Society, Tony Rocca and Cahal Daly to a public that was unaware of what had and has gone on, was out of order. (Granted, my opinion only.)

Facts……Litter, at the top end of the Barnsley stretch, was the major reason why a proportion of the people who walked there were making complaints to the club and using the resulting wedge to voice concerns about the anglers on the bankside. As you well know, the anti-angling voice looks to certain issues in which to try to drive a wedge into our beloved sport/hobby and aside from discarded line and tackle, litter is the top eye catcher.

The litter was not only restricted into the actual swims…….the place was a tip. Springtime is a good time for walkers and before Mother Nature has built her boundaries all the swims on that little walk you took us on are viewable to a reasonable set of eyes. Dog walkers have dogs off leads. Dogs do not stay on the one foot wide track running the bankside. Dogs come along and visit the water. Walkers throw sticks in the river for dogs to jump in and swim after. (Silly actions to par-take of anywhere on the river, never mind there….and I thought dog owners loved their best friends.) I have had walker’s dogs in my swim many times down river on the ‘Horsefield’ whilst I was fishing. Don’t recall one instance where an apology came from the owner but have been told many times “you don’t own the river”. (Which I am quite happy with…..the idea of sharing I mean.)

Your choice here Lee is whether you believe me. You know me well, so I am happy for you to choose ‘honest man’ or ‘liar’.

Lastly on the litter issue. As you well know Lee, all anglers are blamed with the litter on fisheries, even when the litter is not just confined to the swim. Hell, I know it is anglers most of the time…..you and I have both grumbled about rubbish at fishery gates and the great places that some anglers, thankfully the minority amongst us, find to place their empty bottles and used packaging. The entrance to a fishery is usually the area where bags of the stuff are left just as they drive off back home without all the rubbish. (Someone else’s problem when they are miles from the venue, eh!......and in that sentence there lies the real perpetrators I suspect…..and I think that you will know and accept this as well.) My point…….I have two club books that state that any litter in the swim and surrounding area must be cleared before leaving the fishery, whether yours or not. A sound rule but not a very forceful one if the waters are not patrolled by bailiffs and rules enforced, as I am sure you would agree.

Can I just say that having re-read my post the line…..quote “bear in mind that the two fields below this stretch are also owned by the club but bear no resemblance to the weir stretch with regard to rubbish”….does not read as you quote “Interesting that you state that the downstream pegs are virtually litter free.”

Some riverbank walker’s walk for the enjoyment of the scenery…..some look for issues to make. You and I were told that we shouldn’t be allowed to fish when there was just you and I and a few walkers in a massive open expanse of riverbank….and that was only a few miles up river of the venue we are discussing here. That was private land and did the dog walker’s stick to the footpath there…..no.

I came up with the decision to take photos of the stretch, before and after, so that I could use them in any angling PR scheme/project later down the line. I have presented two such stands and talks at local schools when my youngsters were attending. I have been asked if I will do another for a nearby school by a pro angling teacher friend of mine later this spring. Nothing sinister, nothing ulterior in my motives……just giving back a bit and hoping to help convert a few youngsters towards our concept of the right way to go fishing and manage the countryside.

When you write on a public forum such things as ….quote “The taking of photographs implies alterior motives to me. (Spelling not corrected due to quote being stated)….then I worry about how others would convert that sentence. Interestingly, a huge pile of builders rubbish was deposited at the top of the Hazelford stretch a couple of weeks ago. Now not for one minute do I think it was connected to a builder I know that lives about as far away from the fishery as I do…..but if I were a loon I could post with a similar sentence…..however, I am not a loon…..the loon was the person who dumped the rubble……guess whose cleaning it up. (So, ‘a fudge’ it is not.)

You are generous Lee….thanks for that…….family ties do exist in the area…….more villages than you state in the area but you got them in one anyway.

Regards councils and bans…….underground voices Lee…….any official angling banning meetings would have see me at least in attendance to sing our side of the song…….but then I have held social discussions with a fair few people in the area regarding the fishing……one long one took place in the post office in Bleasby, whilst I was buying a couple of Mars bars…….and the litter was the number one concern of the two other customers in there at the time. We came away agreeing to dis-agree…..and that not ALL angler’s are litter louts.

You believe what you will……again, you know me well enough to know if I am a liar or not.

Give my regards to Joey…….lovely birds.

I told you face to face whilst fishing with you that you were like the pied piper of the riverbank when you wrote. Mesmerising. You are when you write the articles and the reports….when you get political, you are the same but your track record lets you down from the hoards following behind you now.

You are correct regards the RSSG not having nothing to do with this……but I used the four letters for a reason…..you, and others who have posted since, know this reason…..no more needs to be said by myself on the matter in conjunction with this thread. (I will always bring it up whenever anyone else states things and gets the info wrong.)

We have an understanding Lee regards Private mail exchanges……we don’t go there. If we go there we are no longer worthy of posting on this and other websites….I intend to remain worthy.

Yours With Respect……

Steve.

[ 12. April 2004, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: 'eelfisher' ]

Malevans, I also have experienced the glory hunters following on a big fish capture........when I caught the first thirty from xxxxxxxxxx the place suddenly became very busy, going from one or two of us to fifteen or more in a matter of days.

You can get paranoid or do as I do, look on it as a further challenge. Certainly I do not feel that I should deny any of them the info on catches. Keep the bait to yourself though

You can also learn a great deal from the the circus, many of them are very good anglers in their own right and if some end up catching more/bigger fish then that is tough luck.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Lee,

When you contact Sherwood and District Council tomorrow you will find that they have served two notices on the Barnsley club for the removal of litter recently. Eelfisher is not aware of this but I have just spoke to Tony Rocca who is. He sends his regards by the way and is sorry he does not post on AN, thinks Eelfisher is way ahead of you though.

Mark.

Well I know threads wander a bit but quite how disclosing details of captures has turned into rubbish,dog **** and open or not acsess to certain stretchs of water has me stumped.

I recently was a victim of someone attacking my coments on another site here on AN.I personally think it is dam rude to members of a forum when this happens.It leaves everyone who is not directly involved or privvy to all the facts out of it on their site!Either conduct personnal arguments on the one site that it started on or better still by private emails.The fact that some of the people involved in this debate apear to only have joined this site to do so ****'s me off even more.

I dont really care if Lee is right or wrong,because as I have all ready said I (and most others here) are not privvy to all the info.If people want to debate the ethics of syndication/open to all fishing or infact any subject then fine just post a specific thread not jump on an existing one.After all that is surely what a good angling forum is about?

I (and I am sure many others here) find most of the discussions/debates here interesting, I bet my fat arse that very few are interested in personnal attacks and private tiffs.Look forward to seeing some interesting and informative posts from our new members..........

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Basically Budgie, you are right. Especially re those who have joined seemingly just to have a go at Lee. Lee, for all his errrrr, shortcomings(!), has always been a good AN member and I, for one, when I have time, read his postings. But a point of principal has been raised, and it is an interseting one!

Dear Budgie

I stand with you in the full context of your post.

One last short explanation from myself on this thread but not in the vein of my previous posts. This comes purely from what you have posted above.

I got involved in this debate as soon as I saw the threads title......I had a strange feeling it was going somewhere. This 'feeling' came from the references to 'open to all' fishing by Lee on several other threads running alongside this one.

The 'jist' was in the odd line that suggested something was coming soon.

Lee informed us that he had disclosed info and that the area of the Trent he caught those fish from became busier....ie, the Tidal Trent.....no disclosure was made of the area, so the photographs must have given some clues or else the people who recognised Lee in the photograph must have done some detective work and sussed the venue....and it is a huge bloody venue. It may well have become busier after Lee's revelations of his superb catches but I suspect it was busy even then.....surely Lee didn't pioneer the Tidal stretches of the Trent...but then again he might of. (Certainly a fact, is that my Father and his two uncles were fishing Collingham and the surrounding area three years before I was born...and yes, they were catching barbel then. The last remaining Uncle, Charlie now 79 years old, disclosed to me at Christmas that 'processed cheesepaste' was the killing barbel and chub bait then....where did they get this bait?....from two elder brothers who were in the forces and saved the tins for when they were on home leave.)

Wandered a bit there....sorry.

Then, came the line "Helpful disclosure can carry severe penalties though."...which I fully agree with by the way. Being an eel fisherman for many many years I have seen first hand what disclosure of my waters can bring and it isn't just a few more anglers on the water either, it's the removal of my quarry full stop.......below this we have the implication that by him giving info out to others, that a stretch of water has now been 'greedily gobbled up'.

If you just read the words again you will see that this is the implication.....and it is just not true.....and I don't think Lee realised it read that way either, by the way.

However, then came an unwarranted attack on an angler that, by any small amount of detective work, could be found to be Tony Rocca. If you do not know Tony Rocca, then I will inform you that he is the angler who smashed the river Wharfe barbel record with a superb fish of 12lb 12oz last September....and he is a nice guy to boot as well.

I found this attack distasteful.

Then Cahal Daly, 'dogfish' to us on here, came on and tried to show that a one sided view was being spun on the thread.

Then came another personal attack on Cahal.

Then I thought.....try and post some facts, so that others will at least get some perspective of where this thread had moved to.

Long-winded and my apologies were made for that....then the debate continued. It would be nice now if all attacks now stopped.

Lee could have said what he wanted in a different manner....he certainly has the writing skills to have achieved this course of action....but he knew what he was writing and openly confirmed what he was after in his reply to myself.

Why not just state that a stretch of river on the Trent had been taken over by a group of anglers and then asked why this had come about.....I for one would certainly have come on and explained why to the best of my abilities.

I have done so now but not in a manner that I would have wished to have done.

I have no personal gripe with Lee.....but he is just like anyone else on here...if he posts to cause trouble without facts, and it involves me or my friends, then I shall confront him with what I know to be the truth....he would do the same with me and rightly so.

This thread saw 56 posts.....by 23 posters....of which 3 (if we say that Dave, although he posts under his title of 'winks' on here, is a new member.

I, like yourself, hope that we have more imput onto this web-site forum by our new angling posting companions.

I shall leave you with one strange sentence.....you work out how it can stand amongst an 'open to all' campaign.

Quote......."No more disclosure from me that’s for sure. Open to all fishing as far as I'm concerned depends now on keeping your mouth shut tight!!"

Yours With Respect.....

Steve.

PS.....Gone fishing now......second days fluff flinging, the first resulted in a lovely Rainbow of 5lb 7oz hitting the net.....my thanks to Cahal and Dave for taking me under their wings and attempting to teach me new tricks.

From the small 'PS' above, who caught the fish????.....(Writing eh, it can read so many ways!) Well, Cahal cast and hooked it and then plunged the rod into my hand so I could 'feel' the bug bite.....the answer....it was caught by the 'RATS'. :)

Dear Steve, All,

Good morning Steve.

I honestly haven't read a single posting since I last posted, nor your last one either Steve. I've been on my Easter jollies and frankly didn't want to be embroiled in this for to long at that time. Arose rather late and I'm off out in a moment on business so I'll respond later on.

I'll bet three gold clocks though that whilst I've been away its been intimidation via the internet with all the gang posting on this thread as usual resorting to personal attacks and character assasinations intended to discredit and frighten. I suppose they might think such actions will frighten me off Steve? Not likely old love is it? Still standing, still fighting for open to all fishing. And I'll undertake this without resorting to bringing my mates in to back me up either.

By the way Steve, I bet most can now clearly see you are anything but a prime candidate for mesmerization?? You? Mesmerized?? Hardly think so old love. The wide eyed "I was led astray honest" ploy might work with some.

Open to All. Keeping open to all fishing open for all is well worth the fight. Be ready open to all anglers everywhere because your turn to have your say is drawing close believe me and it has far more supporters than you might realize.

And as Arny said, "I'll be back"

Regards,

Lee.