Getting some inside information

poledark

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that link Peter.

If I can find it, I will post a fabulous picture I have of a cob attacking our narrowboaat as we cruised past their nest.

We knew they were there, from warning signs on the towpath that there were swans nesting nearby, so we tried to stay well away from the bank and cruise past in tickover so as not to disturb them. The male swan arrived seemingly out of nowhere, and chased us down the canal, causing us some real steering problems! You do NOT want to be in charge of the tiller on a narrowboat when a magnificent creature like that takes a dislike to you! I left my OCM in charge whilst I grabbed the camera for a once in a lifetime photo opportunity! I don't think he's ever forgiven me....

Although it was rather scary to be attacked by something so large and hostile, it was also a privilege to see a magnificent bird like that defending its territory and its young.

When we went past a couple of weeks later on our return journey, I was delighted to see that the pair had managed to hatch a very healthy looking brood of six/seven cygnets. It was hard to count them, as they kept shuffling around whilst we cruised past! Althought the cob was still there, I'm pleased to say that he seemed to have mellowed somewhat, and we didn't have the trauma of our previous encounter!

Janet

Budgie's right. I thought we were supposed to force-feed them lead shot? You know, the stuff that was outlawed decades ago and has never been seen by 99.99999% of the angling population since?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Quote Janet Although it was rather scary to be attacked by something so large and hostile ,Used to do a lot of canoeing on the river and when they come after you then its well scary being at there level so to speak.

We have the black ones [Australian ] i believe at our marina and they have bred successfully for the past couple of years,They are much more aggressive at defending there territory than our native ones and there is little doubt who rules the roost there,When they get airborne [not often in the marina as they are well fed to say the least] the black ones have white tips on the end of there wings which stand out big time esp on a sunny day Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Glad you liked the pic :) I actually got a really good 8 minute HD video, and that is just one frame. Arnie, like most birds in the winter, is constantly hungry and gets very bold and "pushy" Seems to eat anything except banana, which gets stuck in his beak Quite amusing to see him trying to spit it out :) We had a very good discussion, but nothing conclusive emerged

For the softies among you I am told, that Mrs Arnie is alive in a RSPCA place, she can't fly and has a damaged leg, but is otherwise OK.

Us anglers are a daft lot really, swans can be a b####y nuisance but this one knows exactly how to behave when around fishing rods and lines, and really is a superb creature :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Glad you liked the pic :) I actually got a really good 8 minute HD video, and that is just one frame. Arnie, like most birds in the winter, is constantly hungry and gets very bold and "pushy" Seems to eat anything except banana, which gets stuck in his beak Quite amusing to see him trying to spit it out :) We had a very good discussion, but nothing conclusive emerged

For the softies among you I am told, that Mrs Arnie is alive in a RSPCA place, she can't fly and has a damaged leg, but is otherwise OK.

Us anglers are a daft lot really, swans can be a b####y nuisance but this one knows exactly how to behave when around fishing rods and lines, and really is a superb creature :)

Den

Yes its strange how some swans can "adapt" so well to anglers.Ive similar pictures of a pair that had a long weekend at my local reservoir.They obviously came from a water where anglers were a regular feature and knew all about our lines in the water and food in plastic boxes!

Ive seen Canada Geese act the same as well.

Before during "anglers v swans" debates with twitchers/rescuers Ive shown my pics to show how well nglers and birds cn (and in deed often do) get on quite happily..........sadly the common retort is that its not natural for such interaction! Seems we cant win!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Budgie's right. I thought we were supposed to force-feed them lead shot? You know, the stuff that was outlawed decades ago and has never been seen by 99.99999% of the angling population since?

We always got the blame for the lead poisening of swans over the years because of the ocaisions swans were rescued with line and the odd bit of shot. But what about the wildfowlers blasting shot up in the air and missing their targets. It all came down somewhere. Mainly in the lake where swans are feeding. Not being funny but the average cartridge is about 30 grams and thats a lot of size six or seven shot. More than most of us lose in a season

Edited by wayne baker

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Back on the same lake again, and guess who rushed up to greet me :)

200812221510551.jpg

"Ello Den"

200812221510555.jpg

"What you reckon on the wings then?"

The draught from those wings made me stagger back!

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic