Disclosing a whopper on a stream?

BoldBear

The swim he was fishing was normally known to hold some nice chub at this time of year especially on such a mildish day as Saturday. but for some reason the Chub where not there and the Perch was the only thing he caught.

Is this normal? do Chub vacate the swim when there are Perch of this size in the vivinity? There may have been a couple more of them around on the day.

I will certainly be trying my new centrepin there over the xmas period.

I've found that chub and perch often share the same swims, though not always the same parts of the swim.

It could be that the chub usually get to the bait first, but in their absence the perch got a chance.

I've often been catching chub on worm or minnow when a decent perch as turned up, and just as often had it the other way round.

John.

Edit. I've just seem Andrews post, (cross posting). It just goes to show that there are no definitive answers to questions. We each have our own experiences and draw our own conclusions from them.

That's what's good about angling :D .

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found that chub and perch often share the same swims, though not always the same parts of the swim.

It could be that the chub usually get to the bait first, but in their absence the perch got a chance.

I've often been catching chub on worm or minnow when a decent perch as turned up, and just as often had it the other way round.

John.

Edit. I've just seem Andrews post, (cross posting). It just goes to show that there are no definitive answers to questions. We each have our own experiences and draw our own conclusions from them.

That's what's good about angling :D .

It is interesting isn't it? I think in this case, it could simply be down to bait. When I fish for chub, I nearly always use either bread, cheesepaste or sometimes luncheon meat. When after perch, I almost exclusively use lobs. So, when chubbing, I never catch perch. When perch fishing, I do occasionally catch a small chub, but the places I go perch fishing don't have many chub around.

If BB's mate had been fishing crust, he wouldn't have caught that amazing perch!

I would use lobs more for chub, but they're expensive and I can't be bothered to break my back collecting them when good old bread does the business.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Good question... Thinking about it, I usually either catch perch or chub, very rare for me to catch both from the same swim. I don't know why though. It did feel very perchy on Saturday.

I've caught Perch and Chub in the same smallish swim all through the summer along with Roach and Dace. Now the winter has set in all I catch is the odd dace and on occasion lots of Chub. You would think this river was void of Perch and Roach in the winter as they seem to vanish.

You would think this river was void of Perch and Roach in the winter as they seem to vanish.

They have probably shoaled up somewhere, its like the roach in my river, although i know a few spots that seem to have a shoal or two on my river.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I forgot to say, I meant larger than average perch and chub as opposed to littluns.

I think the larger ones where 1 1/2lb's which oddly enough where mixed up with the smaller Perch and even very small roach and Perch. I know 1 1/2 lb Perch is no monster but all the same you would imagine it would scare away the small stuff. Funny enough I was watching a John Wilson dvd the other day and he was fishing a swim which even he commented how it was like an aquaqrium, you could see all sizes of fish varying in species including decent Perch whish he did finnish up catching.

The dvd's called "Go fishing Stalking summer rivers"

Edited by tigger

A venue i'm fishing at the moment has some nice perch in, the biggest i've had this year being 3lb, but I know there is a 5lb 8oz perch in that water, it could even beat the record soon. knowing that every Tom Dick and Harry would be there like a shot trying to get that fish out. NO I would get my photo taken and put it back. I might let the fishery owner know and if he wanted the publicity it would be up to him, but hopefully he would realise what the down side would be.

Edited by scunnydelight

who cares what size it is, as long as it's a fish.

Yes, I think most sensible anglers would keep their big fish secret. It does make you wonder what the real records are though, doesn’t it?

Five pound roach, at a secret venue near you...

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Ive fished a water now for several years where the chance of catching a record pike is high.I doubt if more than a half dozen or so trusted people (who dont fish there) know and there are only an even smaller number who ever get to fish it!.If ever I was lucky enough then I would ensure that the fish was correctly weighed,measured and photographed. A couple of well known pikers (who also sometimes fish there/know I fish there) would be called and asked to witness it. And the only people who would ever know would be that same small group!

No worries about the fishing getting hammered but I wouldnt dare risk upsetting the waters management and loosing the privaledge I have there.They would hate any publicity that revealing such a capture would bring and all the resulting fuss.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!