What was your first EVER fish?

Chris Plumb

What Species was your 1st EVER fish  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What was your first ever Coarse Fish?

• Barbel
    • Bleak
    • Bream
    • Carp
    • Crucian Carp
    • Catfish
    • Chub
    • Dace
    • Exotic - Grass Carp/Goldfish/Orfe/Pumpkinseed
    • Eel
    • Gudgeon
    • Mini - Bitterling/Bullhead/Minnow/Stickleback/Loach
    • Perch
    • Pike
    • Roach
    • Rudd
    • Ruffe
    • Silver Bream
    • Tench
    • Zander
  2. 2. What was your first EVER Game Fish?

• Arctic Charr
    • Brown Trout
    • Rainbow Trout
    • Sea Trout
    • Grayling
    • Salmon

I remember mine like it was yesterday lol Sunbury lane, River Thames, summer and a bleak caught on single white maggot Lol I was bout 4-5 years old, i dont think i set up though Lol and i doubt my dad was gonna let me mess around with hooks at that age so i guess i didnt bait it myself, but i def casted it and struck into the fish, Would that count? Or are we talking bout me setting up too?

if we're talking me having to do everything then that would prob be a gudgeon, again down on the thames bout mile from where me 1st fish was caught.

Lord, help me to catch fish so large this season, that talking of them afterwards, I have no need to lie.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive put down minnow as I used to catch these using a 9' split cane fly rod with an Anon Shaw Olympic fixed spool loaded with 4lb line! We fished on the Bristol Frome "free lining" maggots on a semi fixed line! Just flicking it out and letting it drift around in the current.Ultra cult stalking! Only small but a definate improvement on the first few years of my angling career (which started at 5!) where I went regularly but caught nothing!

But then again it could be sid that my first proper fish was a roach I caught on the cannal at Bathhampton.But as I wound in and it was just on the end I felt kind of cheated.

Not long after though I caught a "proper" fish "properly" in the shape of 2lb tench caught float fishing at Bitterwell Lake.

All great stuff and the memorey of those trips leaves me with more of a feeling of the excitement of those days than most of my more recent catchs.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

First coarse fish, perch; first game fish, brown trout ;first fish EVER, cod

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

My first fish where i tied my own knots, etc. Was a perch. I can still remember the difficulty i had getting the maggot on the hook. The fish i caught was about the size of a fifty pence piece, but i was chuffed to bits.

The first fish i can remember catching was mackeral. On holiday as a kid, somewhere around Ullapool, i caught three on my first go and i've been "hooked" ever since.

Tony,whats a Poddler the local name for? Pouting?

It could actually be a 'Podley' which is a name you'll hear slight variations of up and down the country but it refers to the humble saithe or coalie. I could be wrong but the similarity is too close to be coincidental.

Incidentally, I think the 'Podley' could have been my first rod caught fish. That or a flattie....I think.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Cant believe only 53 members have caught a coarse fish :)

Yeah - I was hoping to attract a few more lurkers out to vote - seems quite many folks can't remember their first fish.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Sticklebacks with a net in a very hot summer in treeton dyke in Sheffield. Can't remember what it was on the rod. Something small like a roach. My grandad used to set me up tiddler bashing

Edited by SPSwallow