sea angler mag

macky

Nobby1:

Also, did you see that bloke being attacked by a giant Cod, as I see it, in an un-provoked attack it leaped onto his back and tried to devour him.

or is it was a modest 8 lb fish being carried by a dwarf? :D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About three years ago I wrote to the editor of SA and said that the magazine seemed to be like an old broken record and repeated things over and over again. The "reported catches" section were he same for 1997 as for 2001. I tried to say "Dear Mel, do you think the mag could be looked at and re-evaluted, regarding the content, because its a shame that the circulation is going down and it used to be a fine magazine"

I got an immediate response, which was in short; "You are a self-publicist! There is nothing wrong with the magazine" I did not respond to his reply, just stopped buying the magazine.

Perhaps, EMAP may notice the falling circulation as well.

Enfield North London

I've not bought it in over a year now - there was just nothing new in it each month, wish they would spread their wings and start doing more coverage throughout the whole of the UK and Ireland.

Also, annoyed me not to see any decent coverage of major Sea Angling Boat & Shore events which England teams "didn't" win over the past few years.

Please don't tell me they have resorted to adult adds in the advertising pages toward the back!!!!

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Has anybody else noticed how the 'most stupid question of the week' is always the one that wins the prize in the questions section i.e. the 'can you show me how to - tie a knot - make a flapper rig - hook on a squid' etc. Any genuinely intelligent question that doesn't require pictures in the reply and might actually be useful to novices is given an inch at the bottom of the page.

Hello Rikky.

About the same time you wrote to `Mel Russ`, I was involved with in a spat with Chris Clarke who wrote the catch reports for most of the S.Coast?

All I did was question the validity of the reports. Mainly because I was staying with the in-laws at the time and fished Worthing pier or Shoreham harbour several hours every day of the week. Me and Victoria spent most of the summer there looking after her sick father. Then, much to my suprise Sea Angler in formed me that bass were to be had from Shoreham harbour arms and the mullet were suicidal. Also that mountains of doggies were giving themselves up at night from Worthing pier? I went to `Ken Dunmans` a tackle shop, not 100yds from the pier entrance and asked where this information had come from, as the pier shut at 10pm!!! Try the tacle shop on the Brighton Rd, the owner is a friend of Chris Clarke, that`s where the story of the bass and suicidal mullet came from as well!!

So I had a bitch on the internet and with Ski Strangler and got the same brush off from that publication. Only to recieve an e.mail from Mr Clarke that I was just jealous of him, because he was European Champion? Shortly afterwards his sea reports were scrapped. Just wonder if he`d been informed about his `little earner` disappearing before he wrote his snotty email to me? I`ve got nothing against the guy. He`s a very able angler, and shown his worth since his nasty farm accident. But how can you rely on a couple of mates that happen to be tackle dealers to write a `honest` catch report?

At least on the `net`, catch reports, whils`t not being available all the time. Aren`t a load of bull/s trying to sell you bait.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Macky?

They are, reports built on `experience`!!

Just a pity that the actuality bears lttle resemblance to the experience.

How many times have we seen `bumper` catches one year and wondered where the sods had gone the next?

According to recent patterns, there will be masses of suicidal bass in Portland race later this summer? Except that a pair of Scottish trawlers have based themselves in Weymouth!

So should I advise folk to head to Weymouth for the bass later in the year? I`m sure the local tackle shops would love it. But I fear I`d be way off the mark.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

I'll still buy 'Sea Angler',

but the difference (TSF) is the involvement of the editorial staff + peripheral chappies like Barney Wright, Jules Shambrook, Henry (not Cooper).

Wagging me tail because we have met S.A. in midstream .....

I have spoken to Cliff (Dep Ed S.A) and he's down to earth and helpful.

The other chap appears to walk on water ........

[ 01. April 2004, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: H.A. ]

Satchmo:

Good point on the adult ads - absolutely out of order. Is Sea Angler going to have an 'Anglers Wives' section in the back  pages next?

I bleedin' well hope not

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote