Move onto monitors . . .

Sutton Warrior

OK, I'v sorted the computer. Now its time to look at the monitor. I though that was going to be easy-peasy . . . especialy as Poldark has this new Samsung T220 that he is 'in love' with :P

Orderer the Samsung T220 on line, for collection at the local PC World, but thought I'd have a look first at the 'Monitor display' isle . . . How disapointed was I, they were all displaying a poor quality promo picture, so a very kind and patient assistant called Matt dismanteled the display, took the screen to a dedicated PC, pluged in . . . agreed it was better but still not sharp??? text has an obvious ghost, looked at some pre loaded pictures, not to impressed, but have no idea of the origins or original quality. Matt seemed to think that Vist and the way it presents had something to do with the gosting, no sharp edges . . . ????

I tried another similar spec and priced 22" screen (HP w2216) by 'HP', Howlett-Packard, not the brown source . . . :D The HP was considerably better to my eyes than the Samsung, both sharper and more vibrant colours, but still with a hint of goasting on text. Neither were properly set up, unfortunatly Matt did not know how to use the menu . . . we eventualy had one running in chinese!!! <_< Definatly needed the 'destruction' book. the menu text was 'pin sharp' on both monitors.

Can any one throw any light on the ghosting, or the fact that Vista might be at falt and XP will be much better, says Matt.

Thanks in advance, I'm hoping to get something tomorrow, the new computer is ariving on Friday.

SW

Can't help with the ghosting SW, except to say that mine is pin sharp. Detail in pics that I have not seen before. Example is the bluebell wood pics I have.....never looked much on the PC so stopped taking them a couple of years ago. Checked out my "old" pics, and was amazed ( :) ) to see individual little bluebells right into the distance.

The model I have is the Syncmaster T220 20000-1 2ms.

No doubt there are other makes equally as good.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

It will be down to the video card and the quality of the monitor.

Any good combo should give you a sharp picture with no ghosting. Any monitor that ghosts with when hooked to a decent video card is defective or set up totally wrong and Vista is good about doing a decent job of auto-setup.

Lots of good info on Colin's link but bear in mind the sorts of display they are looking for - a screen view that is as good and sharp as a high quality colour print. You can get that but not at anything I'd consider a reasonable cost unless you earn your living with camera and prints. Their 'high quality' monitors are the equivalent of £25k-£30 cameras.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Also , the ghosting in question sounds more like 'slur' to me. It's rather common on my job , more commonly known to us a "pal slur". It's receding in regularity now though with the onset of HD sets. It still is there with the 'i' (interlaced) versions of the sets , you just have to look a little harder.

Interlaced , the lines on the screen interlace (rather quickly) line 1-3-5-7-9.....etc and line 2-4-6-8-10...... etc, with the older normal crt's and sd , the speed of the interlacing sometimes created a slur , always to the right of the image (if you've ever noticed)

In fairness too , anyone and everyone seems to be having a go at making electrical appliances these days , just seem to throwing components together and hoping for the best.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

SW, had a litle play with the settings on the 220. I reduced the display to 1280X1024 and the lettering on AN definitely looked "shadowy". I then went back up a bit to 1600x900 and it looked nearly as bad. So I reset it to 1680x1050 and everything was pin sharp again.

From what little I know so far, the resolution will be set by your graphics card, and with the 9400 that will be 1680x1050 for the 220, (max of monitor)

I suspect that the card/setup in the shop was at fault, mine went perfect "straight from the box" :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

SW, had a litle play with the settings on the 220. I reduced the display to 1280X1024 and the lettering on AN definitely looked "shadowy". I then went back up a bit to 1600x900 and it looked nearly as bad. So I reset it to 1680x1050 and everything was pin sharp again.

From what little I know so far, the resolution will be set by your graphics card, and with the 9400 that will be 1680x1050 for the 220, (max of monitor)

I suspect that the card/setup in the shop was at fault, mine went perfect "straight from the box" :)

Den

What you say sounds about right, the Computer they hooked up to was a fairly low cost unit, probably with an OB video chip, rather than a dedicated card.

SW

Stupid behavior for a shop trying to sell the things but not unusual; nor was a clueless sales person in a tech area.

You may have been the first customer who didn't want the world's hottest gaming machine and hand the video display.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Stupid behavior for a shop trying to sell the things but not unusual; nor was a clueless sales person in a tech area.

You may have been the first customer who didn't want the world's hottest gaming machine and hand the video display.

PC World is a stupid shop Newt. The lack of product knowledge is astounding sometimes. It's not the first time that I have been there and have been unable to resist interjecting between another customer and a sales person, because the customer was being given extremely bad advice.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

PC World is a stupid shop Newt. The lack of product knowledge is astounding sometimes. It's not the first time that I have been there and have been unable to resist interjecting between another customer and a sales person, because the customer was being given extremely bad advice.

me to ,went for a job there once !unfortunately my skill was in repairing old pc's rather than persuading suckers to buy new ones so i failed :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson