Prince Harry

five bellies

I think What needs to be kept in focus is Harry was a teenager three years ago when he called a coleague and friend a Paki,I dont Know one Man who hasnt said Or done something as a teenager that dosn't give him a Cringe of embarrasment in latter life, Off course what he said was unacceptable,and cant be defended even by the fact that the lads where Pal's, But every News report for the last two days have been swamped by, a stupid remark made by, an at the time un-world wise boy He said sorry and no one has died, The Rag Head remark is common Military Parlance as was Fuzzy wuzzy in the Sudan war. Terribly politicaly incorrect but so is War! I think every Brit soldier in the Gulf and Afghanistan would be stuck on for using that Term, A story told to me by a Falklands vetran was Bennies was a term used by Service men for for Falklanders When It came to light, the MOD banned the term Bennie

Falklander then Began to be called NOTS When Challanged by an officer as to what a NOT was, A sqaudie repleid Not a Bennie sir.

they were actually called "stills" " still bennies"

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they were actually called "stills" " still bennies"

Thanks for that Dave it was a while ago when I heard the story!

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

In that case you were totally F(*&^ed!

:bigemo_harabe_net-195::bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Not me just my Ancestors :D

Its amazing that wasn't that very long ago. I remember seeing somthing similar as a boy on a pub in London.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

"Tractor Boy" is the term you are looking for :P

Have also heard Suffolk folk called "snickerdoodles" - a term more properly used to define a cinnamon-flavoured cookie. Still pondering the connection.....

Errr, on the first count that offensive term relates to a Town supporter!

Re the second, and its only a guess, perhaps cinnamon was grown in the Easter Counties. I do know that my long departed Gran used it for everything from family planning to a flu remedy! Her cinnamon cakes were superb, heaven knows how I was conceived, perhaps the gas was off that week!!! And it really did work as a flu remedy.

So often these terms are derogatory, and not without humour, and sometimes quite clever. Squadies, and more generally marines have been know for generations as 'pongos' by matelots and the seafaring community. Where the army goes the 'pongos', for example. I referred to King Johns, I suspect most of you have cracked that one by now, but it originated in Norfolk a few years ago. There is only one county between Essex and Norfolk but attitudes and customs are sometimes miles apart. Not unheard of to hear a Londoner or Essex 'John' refer to Norfolk folk as 'swedes', inbreds, or even peat digging inbreds, mainly because of our quieter manner and more laid back attitude to life. No getting away from the fact that the countrymen of Norfolk do get critiscised by folk from South of the Orwell for their slower pace of life. So, with a twinkle in their eyes, the good men of Norfolk held a coronation for their friends from Essex!!

Are we talking about offspring of that awful 'oh I don't want to be a Royal it's too much hard work, I'll throw myself down three stairs into the cabinet and kill myself and then write a book for my kids to read about it' woman? Are we surprised he has no decorum?

Geoff

Are we talking about offspring of that awful 'oh I don't want to be a Royal it's too much hard work, I'll throw myself down three stairs into the cabinet and kill myself and then write a book for my kids to read about it' woman? Are we surprised he has no decorum?

That might mean somthing to you mate But Ive read it about half a dozen times and I still dont now what you are on a about, Help the fat fella out, Who? :lol:

Edited by five bellies

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I am a Johnny Reb by birth and by inclination.

What makes a modern 'Johnny Reb' , apart from geography?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Attitude. I can sympathise. Been a Reb all me life ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Attitude mostly. I'm a strong "State's rights" advocate and think the Federal government should restrict itself to only those matters that need national rules and control. Otherwise, I'd like them to leave matters of local interest to local government.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President