Self-Defence on the bank

Gaffer

I'm part way through writing an article on Self-Defence for the angler and just wanted to ask for your views, opinions and experiences.

The article will address Self-Defence and the law, and the worrying trend for anglers to feel the need to arm themselves, albeit manly improvised weapons (Stainless steel bank sticks, etc).

The article will go into the Do's and Don'ts of physical retaliation, from two perspectives, the first being the day angler and the second from being the night angler.

Any views, opinions and experiences will be greatly appreciated, but please keep this thread positive and refrain, where possible, from giving the Anti's ammunition and/or incriminating yourself.

Many thanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ovbious inclusions would be how to hold/use a Maglite style torch in the event of you suspecting that someone is sneeking about at night.

You could also include suff like making sure that the lanyards on things like disgorgers that hang around your neck are not so strong that they can be used to pull you arround or strangle you. It's also usefull to be able to grab something like a disgorger for use as an impromptu Kobutan

On a similar line, it might be worth suggesting that baliffs who wear ties (are there still any left ?) should seriously consider a clip on.

[ 15. October 2005, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Ken L ]

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

The important things to remember are a) What is the weapon you are using. i.e. A maglight is fine as an angler has a good reason for carrying it and the fact that it doubles as a handy cosh is simply bad luck on the potential mugger. However a wooden pick axe handle or rounders bat may be more difficult to explain possession of.

B) Proportionality. You may use only that force which is reasonable to discontinue the assault on you or another or arrest the offender. The area where most people fall foul is when they go over the top with the amount of force they use or fail to stop it's application once the threat has been removed.

1. If you feel you're in genuine danger, run away if possible. Even martial arts students are taught to run when facing knives and guns. Maybe very hard to do, given that you're minding your own business and should be left in peace to get on with a bit of fishing. You may lose some kit, but not many muggers will want to scarper with a bunch of 12' fishing rods and 15kilos of seat box full of tackle. Keep phone and camera in your pockets, so you don't feel such a need to defend your stuff.

2. Weild mobile phone and digi camera, then talk. Defence is the best means of defence (sometimes). A mugger may not be deterred, but a feisty sab could be.

3. Proportional force, as mentioned. Also maybe hard to do when provoked. A lure rod armed with hefty multi-trebled plug could be a reasonable deterrent

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

I think outlining the extent to which one can defend oneself within the law is an excellent idea to be encouraged.

Elaborate arms are not required, for effective deterrent at close range a mini-maglite or even tommy bar is sufficient, if only just a little longer than the width of one's hand it is pretty hard to remove when grasped tightly.

Don't forget the ancient self defence art of 'running away' when threatened, kit can be replaced, I can't think of anything I'd rather not lose on the bank than my life.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates