I'M LEAVING....

Janet

Well my bags are packed, I'm ready to go....

No, unfortunately I'm not leaving on a jet plane! Instead I'm off this weekend for three weeks on a narrowboat cruise of the canal system, starting at Stone in Staffordshire, and heading south for the Thames.

Three whole weeks of no work, no television, no radio, no newspapers, no phones and a maximum speed of 4 mph......sheer bliss!

Three whole weeks of fishing every morning and evening, with barbecues on the bank, glasses of wine and good company.

If the past several trips have been anything to go by, it will mean counting ducklings as they chase us looking for breadcrumbs, swooping herons, swans pecking at the boat and stretching their necks through the side hatch, looking for a snack as we eat dinner, waking up to a duck chorus, watching lambs bouncing along the bank testing out the springs in their legs, kingfishers flashing past before perching on the bow, bluebell woods, rabbits on the towpath, foxes in the fields, canalside pubs, perfect evenings and perfect peace away from the usual rat-race…..

Benidorm it ain't!

I’m just taking a minimal amount of equipment and my telescopic rod, which can be stored safely away inside at night. I’m packing a big tub of worms, a tub of ready prepared hemp (it’s been sitting in the cupboard for months, so I may as well give it a try!) and some small feed pellets. If I can’t catch on the canal on bread and worms, then there’s no hope for me! Maggots aren’t allowed on the boat, but I may just accidentally happen to sneak a few on board….I’m hoping for a few nice roach, but will settle for a PB perch!!!!

I’ve found it very difficult to find out which angling clubs run which stretches of the canals we're going on, so I’m hoping I don’t run into any problems. It’s going to be very difficult as we’re travelling to try and find a tackle shop to buy a ticket to fish.

What is the usual protocol with canal angling clubs? Do they walk the banks and you pay as you go, or are you expected to buy a ticket in advance? I never have any problems up here, as the section I fish is a free stretch. I’ll only be fishing for maybe an hour in the morning, and hopefully a couple of hours in the evening after we moor up, depending on our schedule. The rest of the time we’ll be on the move.

I’m happy to pay, but how on earth do I go about it when I’m travelling?

Janet

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only suggestion I can offer re tickets is to ask at any locks or pubs. You could also ask other anglers.

However, don't forget that many canals have a closed season now!

Have a great time!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hi Janet

What route are you taking? The canal around this area is open and as regards day tickets most of the areas i know sell day tickets on the bank. If you dont see the bailiff you dont pay lol. And to be honest even the clubs i've been in that have canal sections the bailiffs always seemed very few and far between. Before anyone pops up with the why didnt you. The bailiffs job on the canal you got a part of the revenue you collected not just anyone could do it. On there private non day ticket waters i would check books on the bank of those i didn't recognise.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

You could also ask other anglers.

Have you ever tried to chat to an angler on the bank whilst cruising on a narrow boat? If you can get past their "drop dead" stare, you're still unlikely to get a positive response!

If we see an angler ahead of us on the bank, we try and coast past their swim in neutral, so as not to cause any disturbance other than a few surface ripples. If they happen to be fishing on a bend however, then we have to go past in gear, otherwise we'd lose steering. No matter how much care we take, we just seem to attract menacing glares.....if we can see that they're fishing the far bank, we try and keep to the inside, which risks grounding the boat. If they're fishing the margins, we try and keep to the opposite bank, despite having to duck beneath overhanging branches and risk losing our eyesight thanks to overhanging branches....

A little bit of give and take and understanding would go a long way! Although I'm now an angler, I'm also a boater, and it seems increasingly hard to reconcile the two, given some of the attitudes we've come across.

Janet

starting at Stone in Staffordshire, and heading south for the Thames.

I just checked and apparently, coconut palms arn't native and that would rule the area out of my holiday plans !

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I just checked and apparently, coconut palms arn't native and that would rule the area out of my holiday plans !

Here you go, mate; I'll lend you mine.... :P

post-8845-1209588235_thumb.jpg

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Have you ever tried to chat to an angler on the bank whilst cruising on a narrow boat? If you can get past their "drop dead" stare, you're still unlikely to get a positive response!

If we see an angler ahead of us on the bank, we try and coast past their swim in neutral, so as not to cause any disturbance other than a few surface ripples. If they happen to be fishing on a bend however, then we have to go past in gear, otherwise we'd lose steering. No matter how much care we take, we just seem to attract menacing glares.....if we can see that they're fishing the far bank, we try and keep to the inside, which risks grounding the boat. If they're fishing the margins, we try and keep to the opposite bank, despite having to duck beneath overhanging branches and risk losing our eyesight thanks to overhanging branches....

A little bit of give and take and understanding would go a long way! Although I'm now an angler, I'm also a boater, and it seems increasingly hard to reconcile the two, given some of the attitudes we've come across.

Janet

Janet we have a cruiser on the Thames and are public enemy no 1 to some fishermen who forget they are fishing behind a bush on a long bend out of sight of the boat,You sometimes cant do right for doing wrong with some anglers but have to say i have seen some ignorant boaters to both in cruisers and narrow boats.

I have a canoe that i use on the river to and i am a dog owner so i must be englands public enemy no 1 ;) Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Guest Jan V

Janet, it may be naive of me, but when I was fishing a canal over there I expected to see "canal boats" on the CANALS. Too logical? Yes they disturbed the fishing but so do jet skis, water skiers and such cause problems on the largest of lakes over here.

BTW, have a great time!

Edited by Jan V

The GU through Milton Keynes is mostly controlled by MKAA, day tickets £5 on the bank, but there's a good chance you'll miss the bailiff if you fish early or late. There are carp to 30lb, plenty of roach, perch, bream and gudgeon plus some decent pike and a cat or 2 in the sump pound (the long pound through MK from Cosgrove to Fenny Stratford. If you're coming this way (you could get to the Thames via the Oxford instead) then give me a ring (I'll PM my number) and I'll be happy to pop over and give advice on the good spots and techniques, might even manage an evening's fishing if I'm lucky.

We've also got a 12th share in a narrowboat (called Sometimes - she's sometimes ours) and I'm rather envious - we're not out until the beginning of June and have yet to manage a 3 week slot (but have managed 2 fortnights and 2 separate weeks in one year as many of our fellow owners don't cruise in the winter).

Have a fantastic holiday.

Will

Well my bags are packed, I'm ready to go....

Green with envy Janet....

Have a wonderful time... you deserve it... :thumbs:

Take notes... we are all expecting the wondrous story of your adventure, upon your return...

Take care ...Be safe

God Bless

Rob J

Palm Springs Ca.

Edited by Rob J

Show me someone who thinks they know everything...

I'll show you a fool...

Leave the area you fish... cleaner than it was before you got there !!!!