Wingham Fish-In

Steve Burke

Hi,

I'm starting to get together a list of terminal tackle I need and so can some people give me some advice please.

Hooks

Various Sizes (following the barb/no barb rules) so I can fish sweetcorn, maggots, boilie size objects etc

Hook Line

What strength hook length should I be using, normally I tend to fish light so I was thinking 4lb hook lengths which could be used when float fishing and ledgering, is this to light? Should I use mono or braid.... or even flurocarbon? I was expecting to use mono or flurocarbon.

Back Leads

I have never used back leads but are they required?

Leads/Feeder Types

What type of feeders/leader weights would people suggest, I was thinking about open ended cage feeders (apparently I'll only need to cast about 30 yards).

Any help you can give me would be really appreciated.

Errrm

Firstly I'd definitely avoid braid because of the sharp gravel bars. I wouldn't recommend anything less than 5lb hooklengths for float fishing and 6lb for ledgering for the same reason. If in doubt go heavier. Mono is fine as the fish aren't line shy.

Also Wingham fish fight very hard when the water's as clear as at present.

I'd suggest a selection of feeders. In the swim I've provisionally put you in you'll probably be floatfishing in the margins and ledgering at 30, possibly 40 yards.

Backleads are optional at Wingham, but in your swim would be a liability.

Hope that helps.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi errm

I would err on the side of caution with terminal tackle - the fish are big and fight hard. The smallest hook I would use is a 12 (in a strong pattern) going up to a 6 for lobworm. I usually use a 10 for most baits.

I'd say that 4lb hooklength is too light. I wouldn't go under 6lb really, and sometimes use 8lb (this is mono). I had several tench last year using 8lb mono to size 10 hooks with 4 maggots on the hook, on a simple running maggot feeder. If you're getting bites that don't develop you can always scale down a bit, but that's unusual.

I often use braided hooklengths in 10lb, but only when hair-rigging baits. When putting bait straight on the hook, it's good old mono.

I wouldn't bother with backleads, more trouble than they're worth!

Any feeder will do - simple running open end or maggot feeder, or semi-fixed method feeder. I would go with whatever you're most comfortable with. The fish aren't 'riggy' and will happily scoff baits on quite crude tackle!

Oops, cross-posted with Steve!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Errrm,I can only say what I use but it may be of some help.

Mainline I use 8lb Maxima or Daiwa Sensor mono.I use this so that when Im bream fishing I can use light hooklengths.Also if Im using the Method feeder for the tench it gives my ultra short hook lengths some cushioning.Only problem with a light mainline is the sharp bars you will be fishing near.To protect my line I use a snag/rubbing leader of 20' of clear 20lb Amnesia (allthough any hard wearing heavy mono or purpose sold snag leader will do).

Hooklengths-For the bream Ive been trying Stroft and Preston Powerline hi tech monos.These are in 8lb.For the method and the Tench Ive found it better to use a heavy hook link suck as Suffix Heavy Skin.The outer coating helps protect and I just strip off enough to tie the hair and knotless knot with a half inch or so left stripped above the eye.15 or 25lb is ok.

Hooks Ive been using size 6 for boillies (Partridge Jack Hilton or Ashima Carp) and a range of Mustad Carp and Jack Hilton Carp in 10 -8 for the bream depending on bait.

Straight leads Ive been using 1 1/4 ozs leads on a short (Roberts Feeder boom type) boom.Method Ive been using in line method feeders (30gms?) with the sheild on.I think mine are Korda? or Korum? green metal ones anyway!

Back leads can be handy if your using multiple rods to avoid tangles but I dont use them myself.

Bring some SSG shot or tungsten putty to add weight to light bobbins if the wind/tow gets up.

A specimen sized disgorger can come in handy and if your planning to use a hair rig dont forget your stops and needle!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks everyone for the advice, I have amuch better idea of how I'm going to blamk now :-)

A specimen sized disgorger can come in handy and if your planning to use a hair rig dont forget your stops and needle!

I'm going to ask a stupid question, sorry :-). When using hair rigs I always just used a piece of stiff grass, of a small twig to thread through the loop on the hair.... what advantage do actual bait stops use? I'm assuming there is one, possibly the strength and rigidivity of the material?

Thanks again.

Errrm

Thanks everyone for the advice, I have amuch better idea of how I'm going to blamk now :-)

I'm going to ask a stupid question, sorry :-). When using hair rigs I always just used a piece of stiff grass, of a small twig to thread through the loop on the hair.... what advantage do actual bait stops use? I'm assuming there is one, possibly the strength and rigidivity of the material?

Thanks again.

Errrm

Just more convienient mate. I dont actually use shop brought stops but have a load of thin plastic that I simply cut then blob with a lighter to make a "dumbell" shape.Been using it for decades and it should last me out! Some of the plastic ties you can buy can also be cut up and used.Mind you the shop brought ones dont cost much and might be easier to find.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If anyone needs to borrow any Coarse Lake tackle let me know, I'm on the Carp Lake this weekend so can lend out complete setups suitable for Method/Feeder fishing for the Tench and Bream on the Coarse Lake if necessary. The only thing I can't lend out is alarms as I'll be needing them myself.

Thanks again.

Errrm

I have loads of spare (brand new) hair stops if you want them?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I have loads of spare (brand new) hair stops if you want them?

Thanks for the offer, I'll probably try some out to see if I prefer to ease and convinence to finding the correct type of stick/grass. Cheers.

Guest tigger
Thanks for the offer, I'll probably try some out to see if I prefer to ease and convinence to finding the correct type of stick/grass. Cheers.

The spikes on hawthorn bushes are good and nice and cheap !

Hi,

I'm starting to get together a list of terminal tackle I need and so can some people give me some advice please.

Hooks

Various Sizes (following the barb/no barb rules) so I can fish sweetcorn, maggots, boilie size objects etc

Hook Line

What strength hook length should I be using, normally I tend to fish light so I was thinking 4lb hook lengths which could be used when float fishing and ledgering, is this to light? Should I use mono or braid.... or even flurocarbon? I was expecting to use mono or flurocarbon.

Back Leads

I have never used back leads but are they required?

Leads/Feeder Types

What type of feeders/leader weights would people suggest, I was thinking about open ended cage feeders (apparently I'll only need to cast about 30 yards).

Any help you can give me would be really appreciated.

Errrm

Hi Errm,

I'll probably repeat what everyone else has said but don't got too light the tench fight like nutters and will smash a too light setup! I use a very short braid hooklength in 10lb usually but mono is fine. As Steve says the bars are very sharp, last time I fished I had to keep binning the last 10 feet of my 12lb mono main line due to the damage from the bars. As for hooks the first time I fished Wingham I used some Fox match carp hooks which opened out on the first few tench, I quickly switched to a stronger hook pattern ;).

I don't use back leads, unless you usually use them I wouldn't use them.

I'd use a semi fixed bolt rig type setup with any feeder or lead you care to use! Running rigs are fine but require more concentration, and if you only get a few runs over the two days you'll do well to spend 48hrs awake and by the rods!

The best advice I can think of is try to fish to your strengths and what you are confident with, Wingham can be quite unforgiving, its not really a place to try something out for the first time!

Rich