Ray Mumford

colin the barber

Was it Ray Mumford who was known as the bionic bleaker? In the days when I used to fish a lot of matches I remember buying a video about whip fishing by him on the canal using squats & pinkies; a great match angler.

I believe the "bionic bleaker" nickname was given to Tommy Pickering not Ray Mumford.

As a very young match angler i recall Ray used to compete in our winter league, he could be very opinionated but a damm fine angler.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fished against Ray a few times around 2000. He may have been a good angler but i would never call him a good sportsman. I remember being on the next peg to him on the canal, he tried every trick in the book. Half bordering on rule breaking or damn right cheating.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Ray was also quite an acomplished carp angler (still quite rare in those days!).He had some quite definate veiws re the moons cycle as when to fish for them. I think Im correcet in saying his match thing was roach on the Southern venues?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Roach and bleak, but his "thing" was pole fishing, he was at the forefront of pole fishing in open matches Budgie and won lots of competitions and matches, he was very,very good but alas, very ,very odd and is (I believe) in a mental institution, in other words he is very ill, poor sod.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Roach and bleak, but his "thing" was pole fishing, he was at the forefront of pole fishing in open matches Budgie and won lots of competitions and matches, he was very,very good but alas, very ,very odd and is (I believe) in a mental institution, in other words he is very ill, poor sod.

Very sorry to hear about his illness. reminds me of Ray Webbs illness if what you say is correct.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I too am sorry to hear that, but to be honest I'm not too surprised.

My first encounter with him on the banks of the Trent at North Muskham, ended in a slanging match. Only the intervention of another angler stopped it getting nastier.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• 5 months later...
I too am sorry to hear that, but to be honest I'm not too surprised.

My first encounter with him on the banks of the Trent at North Muskham, ended in a slanging match. Only the intervention of another angler stopped it getting nastier.

John.

Stop slagging off a great angler that is now dead.

I had the greatest pleasure meeting him and fishing with him and Maureen

socially on the River Wye in Hereford.

He was his own man.

To him, how he was, how he fished, with emaculate tackle box layout,

Polished wellingtons, was his style, he was an icon of his time.

Respect a great Angler please.

Good old Ray, one of the most underestimated anglers of his time in this country.

I'm not sure where I posted this pic before of him, I know it was here somewhere on anglersnet but can't remember where.

I just saw this post about him and thought perhaps I should post him again. I took this snap while I was at the world champs way back in the 1980's. I think it was on the Rhine in Alsace.

He used to get on very well with our French angling brothers but never seemed to be wanted by us.

Pardon moi if you have already seen this pic!

post-a3459-Ray-Mumfordnnn.jpg

Stop slagging off a great angler that is now dead.

I had the greatest pleasure meeting him and fishing with him and Maureen

socially on the River Wye in Hereford.

He was his own man.

To him, how he was, how he fished, with emaculate tackle box layout,

Polished wellingtons, was his style, he was an icon of his time.

Respect a great Angler please.

goldenpost4u. No ones slagging anyone off dead or alive.Gozzers just expressing his opinion based on meeting the guy.Are you sure Ray died back in 2000? Cant remember seeing hearing anything about that and would have thought I/we would have.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!