So can you kill a burglar in your house

Snatcher

Some years back I was awake v.early and spotted a bloke eyeing up my garden shed over the gate, I waited for him to walk back up my path whilst I decided whether to lamp him with a length of heavy cable or not... I decided not, and when he emerged with his back to me about a foot away, I asked him what he was looking for, the look on his face was a gem and his acceleration in the vertical plane was a sight to see. He ran... very quickly.

I later gave an accurate description to the police which they readily recognised as a local felon. He has never returned to my knowledge.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SandTiger:

The Bill has been published, so it might be helpful to read that rather than newspaper commentaries:

This is the main text of the bill:

1 Amendment of the Criminal Law Act 1967

(1) The Criminal Law Act 1967 (c. 58) is amended as follows.

(2) In section 3 (use of force in making arrest, etc.), after subsection (1), insert—

“(1A) Where a person uses force in the prevention of crime or in the defence of persons or property on another who is in any building or part of a building having entered as a trespasser or is attempting so to enter, that person shall not be guilty of any offence in respect of the use of that force unless—

(a) the degree of force used was grossly disproportionate, and

(B) this was or ought to have been apparent to the person using such force.

(1B) No prosecution shall be brought against a person subject to subsection (1A) without the leave of the Attorney General.”

Discuss...

Only read the first page, and may be able to help get round the above.

Any person may use reasonable force in the aid of an arrest.

Now under comman law we all have the powers of arrest, ie: citizens arrest.

So if someone is braking into your house, you are arresting them under common law, you may use reasonable force, you may use self defence and you may protect your family and property.

If the nearest thing to hand is a knife you may use it, if the nearest thing to hand is a baseball bat, you hit him in the knee, run to the kitchen, grab a bread knife and twist it into his heart, you are a murderer.

On the wall above my fire place are 2 air pistols, an air rifle, a 46inch katana sword, a 26inch wazaki sword, a 50lb pistol grip crossbow, various fantasy daggers upto 18inch, various 1,2 and 3 blade throwing knifes, an old wooden police baton, a pair of knunchucks and a short uk style police baton. I can use them all.

If someone broke into my house and i hit them over the head with the police baton and they died, would i get done for manslaughter or murder?

Surley if my intention was to kill i would of chosen one of the other objects, i would hope that the outcome would be that i acted in self defence and within reasonable force, but in this country i'm not so sure.

As a side note, if anybody touch's your property without prior consent, it is assault, but self defence dos'nt work like that

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

you can only use resonable force so if he's unarmed your collection will be classed as excessive if you use it ,if he's armed with a knife then clumping him with a chair is ok

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

DJMCJERICO:

DJMCJERICO:

The Bill has been published, so it might be helpful to read that rather than newspaper commentaries:

This is the main text of the bill:

1 Amendment of the Criminal Law Act 1967

(1) The Criminal Law Act 1967 (c. 58) is amended as follows.

(2) In section 3 (use of force in making arrest, etc.), after subsection (1), insert—

“(1A) Where a person uses force in the prevention of crime or in the defence of persons or property on another who is in any building or part of a building having entered as a trespasser or is attempting so to enter, that person shall not be guilty of any offence in respect of the use of that force unless—

(a) the degree of force used was grossly disproportionate, and

(B) this was or ought to have been apparent to the person using such force.

(1B) No prosecution shall be brought against a person subject to subsection (1A) without the leave of the Attorney General.”

Discuss...

Only read the first page, and may be able to help get round the above.

Any person may use reasonable force in the aid of an arrest.

Now under comman law we all have the powers of arrest, ie: citizens arrest.

So if someone is braking into your house, you are arresting them under common law, you may use reasonable force, you may use self defence and you may protect your family and property.

If the nearest thing to hand is a knife you may use it, if the nearest thing to hand is a baseball bat, you hit him in the knee, run to the kitchen, grab a bread knife and twist it into his heart, you are a murderer.

On the wall above my fire place are 2 air pistols, an air rifle, a 46inch katana sword, a 26inch wazaki sword, a 50lb pistol grip crossbow, various fantasy daggers upto 18inch, various 1,2 and 3 blade throwing knifes, an old wooden police baton, a pair of knunchucks and a short uk style police baton. I can use them all.

If someone broke into my house and i hit them over the head with the police baton and they died, would i get done for manslaughter or murder?

Surley if my intention was to kill i would of chosen one of the other objects, i would hope that the outcome would be that i acted in self defence and within reasonable force, but in this country i'm not so sure.

As a side note, if anybody touch's your property without prior consent, it is assault, but self defence dos'nt work like that

I used ALL of the above (and then some more) on the b'stard who came at me and my girlfriend through an open window just last night. Dark, hairy and probably foreign too, he lost all of his eight legs. Sorted!

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

dogs are no problem our doberman was killed with slug pellet laced meat by some nasty person (not to be mentioned as racial hatred will be heaped on my door)and i know a sqeezy lemon filled with ammonia will stop anything man or beast,scrubbs cloudy highly recomended if it hasent been outlawed bu the EU

[ 17. August 2005, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

isnt a sawn off air rifle a GAT

No a gat is one of them stupid pistols/rifles that you pump by pushing the barrel into itself.

The guns you get at the fun-fare that fire cork's are gat guns.

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

just as much good though :D

a real airgun is a .38 webley with a built in air tank pumped up with many pumps on a foot pump with a ether injector (it had a crows foot so must have been a experimental one) the only airgun i ever owned that could bruise your shoulder

[ 17. August 2005, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Hi all

i also have 2 small kids and i agree with skippy and any parent.

basically if anyone trys it on with this house they are already dead the minute they get in even if i have to chase them down.

if thier dead they cannot do it again(plus they are dead so no legal problems i.e being sued)

sg

[ 17. August 2005, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: billy5000 ]