Still alive

Sportsman

Well, that's me home from the hospital after my neck surgery and as the title states, still alive and with everything working :P

I have a 4" wound to the front of my throat, slight difficulty in swallowing and very slight pins and needles in my fingers but 90% of the pain in my arms is gone.

I also have two nylon and stainless steel artificial discs :thumbs:

I'm told that the op took four and a half hours and all went according to plan.

I am also told that when I had my accident in February I was within a couple of mm of being quadriplegic so I guess I will just count my blessings.

I still have a fair amount of scaffolding around my neck so I guess it will be a while before I go fishing ( or anywhere else) but it was all much easier than I anticipated and now I have an excuse for not doing anything around the house, at least for a while.

Thanks to all those who sent their good wishes

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, Just imagine lifting into a new PB - that will keep you going until you heal enough to go fishing again.

I was away at Reepham fishery last week and had a fabulous time, my first real (reel?) outing since my shoulder replacement......and it worked fine!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Good news Dave. I'm so pleased that it all went well for you after hearing of all your problems.

Wishing you a speedy and successful recovery.

I know we don't know each other, and it's unlikely that we'll ever meet, but speaking for myself I regard many of the AN members as friends....even though I only "know" them through this site.

It's a great community, and I'm sure we are all wishing you the best!

Janet

Good to hear that you're on the mend.

Hopefully, you'll have recovered enough to get a few sessions in before the warm weather ends.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Thats excellent news and I can imagine your relief now its all over. :thumbs:

Now comes the hard bit, doing what you are told and not rushing anything, take it easy and give nature a chance to mend everything.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Yep, rushing back can get you into trouble.

When I had my eye surgery, the eyeball was filled with gas that was slowly absorbed by the body.

Obviously, you can't do anything when you are effectivly blind but there shouldn't be a problem if you only have a tiny buble left - should there ?

I whent fishing, I waded out, had a great session and turned around to come back to discover that the changing angle of the sun had made it much harder to see where I was putting my feet. The only option was to look directly down to see where I was going. Looking down caused the bubble to float up onto the retina making me blind. Look up and I can see. Look down and I go blind....Problem

Fortunatly, once the initial moment of panic had subsided, the very obvious solution presented itself - close the bad eye !

I'm not always that dim honest but it does show that the most stupid things can catch you out when you have an impairment.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hi Dave, I'm so glad you are on the road to recovery ...and hope you get fit and well quickly..:)

What a guy you are, assisting folks ( me) while you are/were ill mate...its really appreciated..:):)

Good luck..

:):)

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Take things easy Dave, soon enough you'll be back on the bank catching a PB so there's no point trying to rush it.

Best wishes to ya :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.