What is the relationship/difference between...

Rustam Bana

i've said it before and i'll say it again, steer well clear of bosfish. high prices and terrible service are two things no one wants

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my rod-making days I successfully used Parcel Force to send even 13 foot 2 piece rods. But only sometimes!

The reason I'm told is down to local delivery problems. Apparently some areas can accept them, some can't. I seem to remember that the size of delivery vans was mentioned.

This was one of the reasons that I switched to Initial City Link, one of the few delivery companies that didn't impose a limit. They were also less expensive and more reliable than Parcel Force.

On a more practical note, it may therefore be worth finding a supplier who uses a more flexible company like Initial City Link.

Having said that, sending parcels overseas via such companies can be very expensive unless the shop does a lot of such international business.

All in all, argyll's suggestions of looking at 3 piece rods may well turn out to be the best solution.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

quote:

or have the stuff delivered to one of us with a business address so it can then be uplifted by a courier. [/QB]
Hello Peter,

I have used this method when buying secondhand but for new purchases, I prefer direct delivery as the 17.5% VAT I save on, goes towards postage and in this case a bit of customs duty as well - 15%.

The other problem is the person who has my money in England is currently on holiday and wont be home for a few more weeks. Hence, the need to pay by credit card.

Rustam

Morning, argyll!

You have been more than helpful so please do not apologise.

I realised the Uptiders would be a problem last night after receiving BCFT's e-mail and re-checking the specs.

In the event that I am unable to import an Uptider, I wonder if a Shimano Beastmaster Super Cat (BMSCAT) would work?

336/280 cms length, 358/406 grams weight, 1.4m transport length, 3 sections, 9 guides, XT40+T carbon and 300 grams casting weight.

Thanks for the link to the other sites, though I will give Bosfish a miss as advised by Jeepster.

Rustam

Steve,

I have indirect experience of City Link and concur with your opinion of them.

Royal Mail's 'International Signed For' has also proven to be very reliable to date.

You could well be right about a length restriction at the delivery end - India, in this case. My post office does not even permit me to send a package larger than 2', leave alone 1.5m.

Rustam

'I wonder if a Shimano Beastmaster Super Cat would work?'

I'm not familiar with the rod Rustam, perhaps Budgie (the catman :) ) might be. Its spec is remarkably similar to an uptider (length/casting weight 10ozs) so without getting too fussy I would say probably 'yes' although I woud expect its action to be a little less tippy than a decent uptider and that may be no bad thing for its intended use.

Heres an idea. Since the Royal Mail and not the Indian postal system appears to be the problem, how about trying to find your rods somewhere else in europe where oversized packages might not be a local problem ?

You probably wont find an uptider outside of the UK, its a peculiarly british thing, but your shimano cat rod is here in Germany at

http://www.angel-ussat.de/shop/angelruten_shimano.htm

They will definitely have carp rods and most germans speak a little english too. Written english even better. Check out the rods and send them an email. Anything else I can do, just let me know.

[ 13. July 2005, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Thanks, argyll.

With the aid of my aged Langensheidt I can just about get by with written German - only when it's absolutely necessary. :D However, www.thaifishingguide.com is prepared to post or courier to India and they claim not to have any length restrictions in Malaysia. Let me see what their quote comes to.

Best wishes.

Rustam

argyll:

Machts nicht Rustam..

Viel gluck und guten nacht      

Inclined to agree with you, there, Argyll.

I believe that we have been tolerating something like a covert and persistent pre-advertising campaign for a new, shortly to become available, third rate (take it from me)International Angling Travel PRODUCT...

My response?

Muted by the sudden unavailability of a nearby bucket.

[ 13. July 2005, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Re the Shimano Cat rod.Not used it and not seen it so cant really comment!

Most of the avaiable purpose made cat rods avaiable in Europe tend to be between 4 and 6lb TC, 10' long and with a sensible through action.Most Ive played with are fine for boat fishing but not my preference for bank fishing.

For a general rod which you could use for all your fishing I would have thought a 2 3/4 -3lb test curve pike rod of 11 or 12' would fit the bill.I say pike rod as in these TC's they tend to have a slower action than a similar sized carp rod.Coupled with a 4500 or 6500 Shimano this outfit would be a good compromise.

It would also be a starting point from which you could re asess your tackle requirements as your experience of the waters you will be fishing grows.

Paul,would you think this outfit would be ok for Masheer in all extreme conditions?

I would be happy to tackle most cat,carp and masheer situations with it.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!