A wonderful evening on the stream

Anderoo

Nice report. My fly rods will get dested off on Wednesday for a visit to the Severn.

I thought my 4/5 weight was light when it comes to handling chub in a fast current but things must get a bit hairy with a #2.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might not be the 'done thing' Dave, but I've had a few chub, dace, grayling and trout on float fished nymph, in the past.

Great fun on light match gear.

I'm not suggesting it is or is not the "done thing" just that it seems (IMHO) a clumsy way to present a fly.

As for "great fun", well, whatever floats your boat.

I remember giving pole fishing a trial, using size 18 gold hooks baited with single maggot.

Had a dace take the maggot and too slow a strike "bumped" it off the hook. As I shipped the pole in a trout of about a pound appeared from nowhere and took the bare hook. Yes, "great fun" on the pole, and perhaps the ultimate in sparse nymph dressing.

I suppose artificial maggots and artificial sweet corn used on float tackle are now considered a branch of fly fishing :rolleyes:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I'm not suggesting it is or is not the "done thing" just that it seems (IMHO) a clumsy way to present a fly.

As for "great fun", well, whatever floats your boat.

It was indeed fun catching them in an unusual (for me) way. A 3" porcupine quill, a couple of 'dust' shot, worked between beds of weed, held back, then let run.

It was like the time I used a piece of carrot to catch perch chasing fry in the shallows, like wise a piece of silver foil.

Maybe not the most productive methods, but I did it just to see if I could, and had fun trying. :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Good man Andrew.

The Chub is, I think, entirely excusable. It's a lovely looking stream.

I've proved in the past that I'm no expert on photography, in-fact quite the dunce but I reckon the last shot is great.

I love this time of year. It might be all the greens on show in the hedgerows and fields, a baton change of the seasons, the hive of activity on the banks or maybe it's because I can't fish the rivers round here if I wanted to, which I sort of do but am glad I can't if that makes any sense.

I'll see you in a few days.

Yes, that last picture is superb - looks just like one of "my" bits of the Upper Medway.

Anderoo, (and anyone else that feels on the same wavelength) may I recommend a read of the following books ?

Minor Tactics of the Chalk Stream and Nymph Fishing for Chalkstream Trout

both by G.E.M.Skues

and Keeper of the Stream and Nymphs and the Trout both by Frank Sawyer

Between them they cover much of the original thinking behind fishing the upstream nymph. There are a few more recent books , such as those by Ollie Kite, which simply rehash the basics, but the real story is within those four volumes.

Alas, none of them are cheap, but there is a huge amount of watercraft in those four books, that is applicable to all lowland trout streams not just chalk streams.

Apologies in advance if the old saw re grandmothers and eggs applies.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yes, that last picture is superb - looks just like one of "my" bits of the Upper Medway.

Anderoo, (and anyone else that feels on the same wavelength) may I recommend a read of the following books ?

Minor Tactics of the Chalk Stream and Nymph Fishing for Chalkstream Trout

both by G.E.M.Skues

and Keeper of the Stream and Nymphs and the Trout both by Frank Sawyer

Between them they cover much of the original thinking behind fishing the upstream nymph. There are a few more recent books , such as those by Ollie Kite, which simply rehash the basics, but the real story is within those four volumes.

Alas, none of them are cheap, but there is a huge amount of watercraft in those four books, that is applicable to all lowland trout streams not just chalk streams.

Apologies in advance if the old saw re grandmothers and eggs applies.

Thanks very much Vagabond, I'll keep an eye out for those. As you know I've been struggling with the upstream nymph, and I expect that they're a lovely read too. When dry fly fishing most of the 'watercraft' is done for you as you can see the fish (or, at least, where they are) and see what they're feeding on. But the upstream nymph - a whole other ball game!

The grandmothers and eggs doesn't apply - I'm still pretty inexperienced with fly fishing and welcome any help or tips!

Thanks for the comments about the photo. I have plenty of others, but they may give away my secret location :rolleyes::lol: Then I'd have to kill you :D

Good man Andrew.

The Chub is, I think, entirely excusable. It's a lovely looking stream.

I've proved in the past that I'm no expert on photography, in-fact quite the dunce but I reckon the last shot is great.

I love this time of year. It might be all the greens on show in the hedgerows and fields, a baton change of the seasons, the hive of activity on the banks or maybe it's because I can't fish the rivers round here if I wanted to, which I sort of do but am glad I can't if that makes any sense.

I'll see you in a few days.

The offer's still open if you fancy a trip westwards :) I agree, it's the nicest time of the year to be by the river, but I'd still fight to keep the closed season. Being out with a fly rod makes it a bit special.

See you at Wingham for the pin-tench challenge!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

As always mate that's a great report and well backed up with the photos.

As for the Chub - if you were spinning for pike and spotted that fish you'd do the same thing. No problem what so ever with taking an opporunity. :)

Cheers,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

but they may give away my secret location

Don't worry we'll find it. I've seen so many episodes of Morse where the vital clue is hidden in a seemingly innocuous photo, the 'villain' always overlooks a tiny detail giving away the location. I'm off to load up Photoshop and I'll report back in say.....six years?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back