let the games begin !!

hembo

what a fantastic start to the athen olympics ; lets hope the next 16 days bring some memorable moments . at last the world can unite for the moment.

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another bore ,cheap telly at its worst

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

How many will have their medals taken away afterwards for drug offences? I can't remember any Olympics in the last 20 years that hasn't been sullied by performance-enhancing drugs....

Thank God there's a Grand Prix this weekend, plus bike racing on Saturday!

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

All that fuss just to light a beacon. I'd have done it in two minutes with my lighter if they'd asked. Perhaps we should have sent them cardboard cutouts of the Elgin Marbles to make the opening ceremony more interesting. I suspect this might be the most boring games of recent times.

Roll on Sunday 'come on you reds'(cars I mean)

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I happen to enjoy the olympics myself. Not big on the opening or closing bits but that's just me.

I am looking forward to the competitions though.

Now Grand Prix racing - that one is right up there with golf and curling when it comes to pure excitement watching a televised event.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

Now Grand Prix racing - that one is right up there with golf and curling when it comes to pure excitement watching a televised event.

What's this? A Southerner who might not like NASCAR?? :D

I have no idea what could possibly be interesting about 3 hours of left turns. :confused: Except the crashes. :D

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

severus:

What's this? A Southerner who might not like NASCAR?? :D

I have no idea what could possibly be interesting about 3 hours of left turns. :confused: Except the crashes. :D

I understand your problem and feel your pain severus. Yankees seem to have trouble grasping the true beauty of NASCAR racing.

If I were at home I'd take a picture of the tailgate of my truck (with a nice, large magnetic 24 in bright yellow affixed in the dead center) but can't do that from work so you'll just have to imagine it.

The qualifying round was rained out today so on Sunday my man will be starting in the #2 position based on points and since it's a road course (turns in both directions :P ) rather than a standard oval track and since he's about the only guy high in the points standing this late in the year who does well on road courses, the other really good road course NASCAR drivers will be starting way back in the field. I expect to see him advance some in the points standing on Sunday. Quite likely a win if the #24 car runs well.

[ 14. August 2004, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Aha! Smoked you out, Newt! :D I thought you might be a NASCAR fan, in spite of your Grand Prix comment. Actually, lots of folks up here are rabid fans. And that's OK.

Are you ready for some football?

~ Mark Twain

quote:

There was a time when I really got in to Nascar, Dale Ernhardt (sp) was the one to watch if I remember right. Does he still race?

He got killed at Daytona a few years ago.

~ Mark Twain