Wild parrots in London - cannot be!

Snatcher

I know this is an old thread but if I start a new one, someone will only post a link back.

I was fishing last weekend and got into a conversation with a birder type - I'll refrain from the T word.

We talked about how the fencing off of a field adjacent to a lake has destroyed a skylark breeding area because the field isn't grazed by geese anymore and the grass is now to long. We mentioned that it’s unusual to see the herons nest building so early and all the rest of it.

We then started on about woodpeckers when he happened to mention that there are eight pairs of Ring Necked Parakeets breeding in old woodpecker holes in a dead tree in West Bromwich - I'm not going to say exactly where.

I knew that there was a population in the South East but I'm gobsmaked that they’re here.

I actually saw a parakeet in 2007. I heard the squawk and knew what it was immediately but only saw it in silhouette as it flew over me. I assumed it was just an escaped pet but maybe it was one of these breeding birds.

Parakeets aren't the only exotic birds breeding in the area either. We have Peregrines in the city centre and I know of a location nearby where Eagle Owls are breeding in the wild - and yes, they really are European Eagle Owls.

Are these birds spreading or has someone just captured some in Surry and released them to have pretty garden visitors in the Midlands?

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't now how far the parakeets are spreading, but spreading they are. We've have had them in Sanderstead now for a couple of years. Although they were at first a welcome addition to our fauna, there are so many of them around in Greater London now, and they are so raucous, I've actually grown tired of them.

Geoff

We talked about how the fencing off of a field adjacent to a lake has destroyed a skylark breeding area because the field isn't grazed by geese anymore and the grass is now to long.

Can't your geese fly? :D

We mentioned that it’s unusual to see the herons nest building so early and all the rest of it.

February is when herons start nest building down here in Hampshire.

Are these birds spreading or has someone just captured some in Surrey and released them to have pretty garden visitors in the Midlands?

Ring-necked parakeets are definitely spreading , there's a small population in the Lymington area.

Saw lots of them just upstream of Henley on the Thames but they seem to spread a bit father down the river each year,Loud little buggers Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Ayjay. The Geese can fly but they just head off in another direction to waddle and feed where there are a few trees about. Not much difference to the geese but the skylarks don't like trees.

Either that or the geese are just getting stuffed on bread and chapatties.

Nest building usually starts in the second week of feb up here but I suspect that after the last weeks weather it's back to that agaon for this year.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

There are Macaws flying around in east Cumbria just uner the Pennines. While not totally wild, they do fly freely arounr the town of Kirkby Stephen.

https://www.blogcatalog.com/search.frame.ph...40facd46c837c3b

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I don't now how far the parakeets are spreading, but spreading they are. We've have had them in Sanderstead now for a couple of years. Although they were at first a welcome addition to our fauna, there are so many of them around in Greater London now, and they are so raucous, I've actually grown tired of them.

They are all over the UK in localised populations, lots of seperate releases/escapes. They ahve been on the increase since the 60's. I have seen them in Devon and Dorset. They are a big problem becuase they compete for habitats with other hole nesting birds, particularly where there are a shortage of holes in trees. Although most Ecologists/Birders etc agree, there is not the evidence to prove it and as with all wild birds (apart from Corvids and game birds), they are protected - even though they are introduced - but English ntaure are researching their impact currently.

Temperature isn't an issue as they originally came form an alpine area. They are horrible noisy things. :angry:

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

True story this...

As a young teen living at home, woke up one weekend morning after the usual heavy session the night before, look out the window whilst laying in bed (leave my curtains open at night) to see a ruddy great macaw sitting on my window sill. Did a couple of double takes and pinched myself...nope till there. Called my parents to show them, and luckily the bird didn't stir (so they didn't think I'd been abusing illegal substances), and even stayed there long enough to take some photos from the outside of the house (daren't move the net curtain to pics from inside). Eventually bird did fly away, never to be seen again, and we we're non the wiser!

Geoff

Seen a pair of green parrots in Kensington Gardens last year - nice to see mind :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy