North Sea Quotas running out

Toerag

Steve its not just the under 10's that have no whiting quota. All the boats are dumping up here. How much quota do the French have ? and how come they have quota and our boats dont ? Its all wrong, our fleet was just reestablishing itself and benefitting from recent stock increases. I understand the Navy are quite good at their job though. Hopefully they will be checking these boats and their log books. The stories of blinders are already being told.

Ill put me helmet on and take cover now B)

Hi glennk

QUOTE/ The stories of blinders are already being told. In most cases thats all they are stories, the French are very good fishermen

Good question where did the French get all that quota from off Whitby.

Did DEFRA do a quota exchange with the French or did the French buy it from the UK fishermen???????????????????????

steve

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good post

My god, I do believe that the penny has finally dropped. Well better late than never.

I kept a full record of catches aboard chieftain for the four years I was there. Can pass them on if anybody wants them.

Big cod would have to be booked to 2040 to catch anywhere near the same. I also believe that the penny dropped on that along time ago too.

Sore you and the dog after crabs the other day when we came in

Regards.

Still booked 7 days a week john why is that i wonder and 99% are regulars. :D

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Hi glennkQUOTE/ The stories of blinders are already being told. In most cases thats all they are stories, the French are very good fishermenGood question where did the French get all that quota from off Whitby.Did DEFRA do a quota exchange with the French or did the French buy it from the UK fishermen???????????????????????steve
It is a good question Steve isn't it. Is the same quota not for sale to our guys ? have they saved their quota until now ? (I know our boats landed their fair share of whiting in the first 3 months of this year so maybe they used all their quota ?). How come the French have all this quota for fish and the locals don't - surely the French don't get extra ?
Still booked 7 days a week
Well then you can start paying me for all the advertising I do for you :P

Its not only the whiting been hammered what about all the other ground fish whats happening to them? Ive seen the size of gear been used and its doing serious long-term damage to the already battered ground.

Inshore ground simply cannot take that sort of pressure.

Its not only the whiting been hammered what about all the other ground fish whats happening to them? Ive seen the size of gear been used and its doing serious long-term damage to the already battered ground.

Inshore ground simply cannot take that sort of pressure.

Hi clem

Welcome to the club

steve

When the Lisbon Treaty is ratified the EU will have full controll over fisheries management in the UK, DEFRA will have to ask nicely if it wants to do something, not that it will, DEFRA will be thankful that the god foresaken task of fisheries management will no longer be a burden to them

steve

Guest challenge

Glenk

So if one boat tows four nets, why do two boats tow one net? And how will that sit with your theory that two boats towing one net (pair trawlers) catch 10 xs what one boat towing one net will catch? By the way our (British and some Whitby boats) have been towing four nets for years.

Clem.

But these boats are working aback of twelve miles? What do you class as inshore grounds?

I would expect that the French get there quota from the same place as our boats get there’s when they have exhausted there own quota.

I believe that this French boat was encouraged to come to Whitby by a fish selling company. Apparently French boats that regularly land into Humber ports have been actively approached for the last 18 months to land in Whitby and many other ports who are finding things difficult now that very little fish is being landed.

The same sort of competition happens on the continent all the time with British boats (Whitby boats included) that land there.

Big cod.

Am pleased to here that you’re booked 7 days a week

I think that 70 hours a week is plenty for any man. My 168 hour weeks with john got a bit tiresome come September

CHALLENGE

But these boats are working aback of twelve miles? What do you class as inshore grounds?

I would expect that the French get there quota from the same place as our boats get there’s when they have exhausted there own quota.

Working back of twelve on what they call the "nerf-sanc" (9-5) grounds John. Come night time when you lads are tucked up then the compass starts to wander. These are inshore grounds broadly speaking I would say.

Are you allowed to apply the same stringent regulation on these boats as British boats John?

Edited by clem

CHALLENGE

Working back of twelve on what they call the "nerf-sanc" (9-5) grounds John. Come night time when you lads are tucked up then the compass starts to wander. These are inshore grounds broadly speaking I would say.

Are you allowed to apply the same stringent regulation on these boats as British boats John?

Hi clem

Do the whiting go offshore for the summer and come back inshore for the winter if the French have left some that is?????????????????????

steve