fishing is like camping....

PhilZenith

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love doing overnighters.

Just received my new 2005 model JRC stealth brolly today, my new wychwood 3 leg pdc bedchair yesterday and my new wychwood sleep system bag and waterproof, breathable, fleece lined cover on monday.

Guess what I am doing at the weekend?

Thats right.....................

MATCH FISHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have my 2nd charity match of the year on Sunday and cannot see her indoors letting me out on Friday night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

:D Rudd

So the JRC is all present and correct this time?

Phil in terms of using tents, I know this seems really stupid but some fisheries have a no camping policy, normally not their own but to do with local by-laws or something. But they will allow bivvies , so be prepared to be booted off if you take a normal tent with you to do a night.

James

Gobio:

Peter, camping and fishing go so well together, cannot pike fishing and camping be combined?

It is for many, and if they enjoy it then why not?

Well, my reservation being that whilst camping some folk would not give bite indication the attention that pike need.

What is forgotten by many is that carp fishing is not pike fishing. I have witnessed people lob out their deads, set up their alarms, and then go about setting up their camp. Pike don't self hook as carp do, plain and simple. And whilst setting up camp the inevitable has happened and the campers have been upset, and a good pike has died.

I wouldn't camp and fish for pike. Yes, I spend the night in a tent, or a boat, or my shed, but I don't fish at the same time. Personally I choose not to. I don't think it is fair on the pike, nor on those who follow me.

Iv had a couple of nice night sessions this week, i used to do them years ago quiver tipping and float fishing, staying awake under a brolly, but with the carp gear i just bought i decided to sleep the nights and then stay until the evening the next night.

Instead of going overboard i bought some cheap gear to see if i liked doing nights or not.

I bought a fishing shelter for £15, a collapsible camp bed for £10, and a sleepline 300 sleeping bag for £15. all from army and navy. Its was all comfy and i managed to get some nice kip, (better than some nights on the sofa). It all weighed less and took up less room than my chair and brolly, in fact the shelter and bed went into a sports bag with the rest of my gear, and the sleeping bag went over my shoulders in its rucksack style bag.

I managed to get all my gear to the lake via my motorbike, gear in sports bag over shoulder, sleeping bag on back and rod's/landing net tied along the sides, and to think most people cant fit their gear in a car.

The shelter had enough room for my bed to go at the front and my gear at the back, it also has 2 pockets for keys, knife, torch, etc.

It wont do for the winter, but i will be back on the pike by then.

As for fishing nights for pike, tuesday afternoon i brought in one of my rods for a re-glug, and felt a fish on, as the fish surfaced it decided to tail-walk, a pike of about 11lb had decided to take a 18mill source boiley (great way to christen a carp rod) unfortunately he sliced the 25lb snake skin hook length, and was left with 3inch of it and a size 6 hook in his lower jaw :(

If a pike can take a boiley fitted to 8 inch of hooklengh, onto a (safety) bolt rig, with backlead and sit there without setting off the alarms, imagine what damage could have been done if the boiley was a deadbait full of trebles :(

I managed to christen my rods with 11lb and 7lb commons off the top and then had a screamer on a 15mill tutti that i thought i missed and brought in a 1lb 2oz roach :)

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image