Lower Itchen Fish-in, part #2

Newt

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a great day and caught a few fish as well so I was happy :)

I caught about 6 grayling (never caught them before :D ) up to a pound and a half, and lost 5 others, 3 at the net about the same size as my biggest and 2 smaller ones. Also caught loads of minnows and a chub which weighed about a pound and half or so as well.

The picture of the grayling (one of the smaller ones) was caught in the pool (pictured) along with the chub and all the minnows. The biggest grayling was caught under the tree (pictured)

Thanks to Gerry (Argyll) for taking me and my stuff along the river.

Good to see Budgie and Andrew again, always nice listening to your stories guys.

Good to see Lyn again, albeit only briefly.

Nice to meet Seph, Darrell, Ratty and everyone else (can't remember everyone's names )

Also a big thanks to Darrell for arranging everything.

Pictures below

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

James

Holding a grayling still, long enough for a piccie is not easy. Here's a 2 1/2lber

Posted Image

[ 21. February 2005, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Well Im back on line at last! What a terrific day it was on Saturday! :D Most enjoyable winters day fishing I ve had for ages.

It all started off with a good brekfast at ASDA which set us up for the day! Darral did a great job in organising this for us.The weather also held out although a nasty downstream wind made things tricky and you noticed the temperature drop when the clouds covered the sun!

Darral had cleared it for us to fish the top end of the fishery (normaly reserved for season ticket holders).The huge chub didnt show but it certainly lived up to its reputation for big Grayling.The first I hooked was a new PB of 3lb 5ozs so I was well happy.I finnished the day with 15 or 16 fish, three of which were over 2lb. :D

All of mine were caught on the float using braided line.First time Ive tried it for trotting but it certainly wont be the last!

Im sure Andrew will tell you all when he gets home tonight,but he had a cracking day to!

Didnt fish all day as we packed up a bit early being more than happy and had a wander round meeting a few new faces and chatting to a few old ones!

All in all a great day,great venue,great fishing,great company and top marks to Darral.Brekfast wasnt bad either!

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

argyll:

Beware of Russell, just as he said 'hi I'm Ratty' a bleedin' great water rat swam across the river in front of us. I think he can summon demons (or at least rodents) Might need The Flying Tench along on the next trip.

Perhaps. On the other hand he might be handy to have around if he can RUSSELL up a pike or two at the appropriate time. Come to think of it, if he can show me how to summon some flying tench we could make ourselves a fortune!

john clarke

This is my report on the River Itchen day out.

I really enjoy my day there and must thanks Darrell for organizing this superb fishery. :) Nice to see old friends and new faces. :D

My day start really slow after seeing Budgie catching his personal best grayling. I could not get going on the art of troting/float fishing. :(

So I walk back to the car to get the feeder rod and started looking to see "where" I could catch my first grayling.

After seeing and trying a couple of nice spot and twenty minutes in each one there was still no sign of fish to my credit!

So thinking of me having a blanked day as always me being rubbish at fishing As I wander down to towards the bridge I saw a nice looking shallow water running into a deep bay of a bend in the river.

So I decided to chuck the block end feeder right against the iron corrugated iron sheet place in ther water to stop the bank wearing away. As I was looking at the tip of the feeder seeing some "knocks" as I thought the cold wind playing tricks again and all hell broke lose! bang the bite which results my first ever grayling at 2lb 8ozs as I was plying this grayling I suddenly realized that my landing net was 4ft away from me so playing this grayling and reaching for the landing net and thankfully managed to grab the net and netted the fish.

So I called Budgie to "prove" that my first grayling was caught and after a couple of pictures (Hopefully Budgie will get them deleloped as soon as possible.) :rolleyes:

So went back to my peg and started catch a load of fish in the same peg as before.

My final tally was 22 Grayling and 1 Brown trout again another new personal best brown trout of 12ozs.

I can't wait for another meetings as soon as possible! So see you all there! :D

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Got my film back today.My pics were well disapointing but heres my brother with his PB Grayling of 2lb 8ozs-

Posted Image

And here is John (Keinboet) with his first ever Grayling.Didnt weigh it but certainly a 2lbr-

Posted Image

Best I could salvage of my 2lb 5ozs new PB-

Posted Image

[ 24. February 2005, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

seph:

Budgie

You need to invest in digital camera, well worth the investment

Thays for sure, a self focusing,self metering one at that.I get great pics with the Nikon but when ever I have to give it to some one else to take a picture..........

BTW dont know what the burn out on the side is had it on a couple of pics on this film.Some taken in Sept last year and the others at the Itchen.Not on thewm all.Any ideas?(Peter?)

[ 24. February 2005, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]