St George tie pins banned. Because they MIGHT be racist!!

Slack lines

Jails Watchdog Bans St George Tiepins

Feeling cross: Prison officers say they wear the emblem to support a cancer charity

Prison officers wearing St George's Cross tiepins have been ticked off by the jails watchdog.

The English national flag could be "misinterpreted" as a racist symbol, the Chief Inspector of Prisons, Anne Owers, said in a report on Wakefield prison.

The pins had been bought by officers at the top security jail to support a cancer charity.

A section on race relations in Ms Owers' report said: "We were concerned to see a number of staff wearing a flag of St George tiepin.

"While we were told that these had been bought in support of a cancer charity, there was clear scope for misinterpretation and Prison Service Orders made clear that unauthorised badges and pins should not be worn."

As one of her formal recommendations, Ms Owers said: "Staff should not wear unauthorised tiepins."

Brian Caton of the Prison Officers' Association said: "If the only problem the chief inspector found was tiepins carrying the Cross of St George, which is, after all, the English national flag, then there can't be a lot wrong with Wakefield prison.

"Staff at this establishment are among the most professional in the Prison Service and deal with some of the most difficult, damaged and dangerous inmates, including some of the country's most high-profile criminals."

Soham killer Ian Huntley, last week handed a 40-year tariff for murdering Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, is among inmates at Wakefield. Serial killer Harold Shipman killed himself there in January last year.

Making the most of it

Chi dorme non piglia pesci

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone tries to prevent me from wearing the symbol of my country they had better be prepared for a spot of bother.

Anne Owers should be hauled over the coals and made to apologise to the POA.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

It was on talk sport today about this, what a load of b*ll*cks, I think its some stupid PC tart's chance to get her name in the spotlight.

So who finds it offencive in nick. The Sihks?, Moslims?,Budist? Some how I dont'nt think so.

I bet they'd be glad to see a screw in it, if it was there turn to pick the soap up in the showers.

And if they was offended by it tough, they should behave and they wouldnt be in nick in the first place

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.

Personally I am offended by the attitude of certain ethnic people to women of their own group, I have witnessed this first hand, but tolerance is all about putting up with things which you may not agree with.

Anyone who would be offended by my countrys national flag has a choice...

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Peter, Not just England mate, The George Cross is part of the Union flag....so, its an insult to the whole of the UK......PC brigade strike again......make you wonder where they get these idiotic ideas from.... :mad: next thing will be the St Andrews Cross.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

My children are naughty - can I smack them - No I lost my parental control on chastisement.

My children want a bar of chocolate at playtime - can I give them one - No I lost my parental control on feeding them.

My children want to play with water pistols on a hot day - can I let them - No I lost my parental control on what toys to let them play with.

My children attend school smart but it's getting expensive - can I buy cheaper clothes - No I lost my parental control must buy through the school.

I don't want my children 'f'ing all over the place - Can I stop them - No I lost my parental control swearing is accepted in school.

I want my children to respect me - will they - No because someone else has taken away all my parental control.

I want my children to learn about our culture - can they - No I lost my parental control school is too busy 'practising' other cultures and hasn't time to teach our own.

So who has all my parental control - Oh yes those guys in suits 300 miles away.

So I have unruly children, who have forgotten all the manners I taught them, all the respect I have given them, and all the love and fun of being a child.

Whose fault is that - Oh yes thats when I suddenly regain my parental control and its my fault :mad: :D

Wendy

"Prison Service Orders made clear that unauthorised badges and pins should not be worn."

As one of her formal recommendations, Ms Owers said: "Staff should not wear unauthorised tiepins."

Can't find much wrong with that!

Pity they had to be St Georges cross, wonder if we would have had this fuss if it had been anything else.

Were any of the inmates actually offended?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/