Favourite float tip colour for trotting

Tigger

I've always used red/ orange tips on my floats whilst trotting but sometimes it's not the easiest colour to see in certain light at different times of day and at range. I accidently broken the tip on one of my Steve maher floats recently and repaired it by glueing a peice of quite thick parrot quill into it. Anyway I painted it with ordinary white gloss and am looking forward to testing it out to see if it's any easier to see, especially at range. Has anyone else tried using a white tip and if so was it easy to see ?

If it doesn't put down much rain tonight I may get a slot of an hour to test it myself....hopefully !

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say I have - all my trotting floats are red tipped....

C.

I tend towards a bright orange or red, yellow at dusk. But I never change unless it's really difficult to see, I just bend and twist in order to see the sodding tip as it goes through the varying shadows and lit water. Probably also the reason why my back aches after trotting and I suffer from terrible sciatica about four times a year..

I would have thought a black tip would be easier to see than white.

Edited by arbocop

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

i like red ,no i like orange ,no no i like Yellow or is that black i likes ........ oh yeh thats right ,it depends on conditions but mainly orange

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I tend towards a bright orange or red, yellow at dusk. But I never change unless it's really difficult to see, I just bend and twist in order to see the sodding tip as it goes through the varying shadows and lit water. Probably also the reason why my back aches after trotting and I suffer from terrible sciatica about four times a year..

I would have thought a black tip would be easier to see than white.

I do the bending twisting thing myself lol. I also thought about trying black and will most likely have a go at painting one black also. I noticed a peice of white polystirene floating down the river a while back and it stood out like a sore thyumb through all the shadows and even in the glary bit where the sun was shinning so I thought I'd try it out. I know it sounds daft but I'm lookin forward to tryin it out :rolleyes:

here is some i prepared earlier

DSCF1635.jpg

they're orange ,yellow ,white ,black ,red ,pitty the flash has whiped out the intensity of the colours a bit ,i've made these for someone recently they're 7 bb crowquill's all have a green lower half with the top half painted the same as the tip with alternating black & white bands

the white was a bit of a whimm ,(must off been sniffing the lacquer's vapors too much) not sure how well they show up though

black is great for those days when theres a silvery white sheen too the surface from reflected low clouds

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Orange and black but I can imagine there should be some merit in white. Never thought of using white before as it happens.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I've always used red/ orange tips on my floats whilst trotting but sometimes it's not the easiest colour to see in certain light at different times of day and at range. I accidently broken the tip on one of my Steve maher floats recently and repaired it by glueing a peice of quite thick parrot quill into it. Anyway I painted it with ordinary white gloss and am looking forward to testing it out to see if it's any easier to see, especially at range. Has anyone else tried using a white tip and if so was it easy to see ?

If it doesn't put down much rain tonight I may get a slot of an hour to test it myself....hopefully !

For trotting bigger rivers I use the clear plastic loafers with a thick tip and the best colour I have found to paint them is definitely gloss black which seems to stand out the best for short and very long range trots in different light conditions.

You can paint the tip of any float by gently rubbing with fine sandpaper and dipping in a pot of plasti-kote fast dry enamel paint (a pot costs £2.89 in Wilkinsons or B&Q superstores), hang the float upside down and before its completely dried just dab off the excess. Job done.

They also sell in spray cans but I prefer the pots. There are several colours in the range, I have used them to paint feeders, leger weights and the white one I have used to paint the avon tops of my barbel rods.