Favourite float tip colour for trotting

Tigger

I mainly use Flourescent Red but have got floats painted black which as steve has already said is very effective when the light is low on the water creating a silver glare. I have also used white but this was after dusk as the light was really fading and I wanted to continue for another hour or so and it stood out really well in the fading light.

I think we all do the bending at some point just to get that little extra distance from our floats in bad light or glare....thats why all fishermen get the hump after a bad day....touche!!!

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well......forget the white tips, I tried one out today and it was pretty poor to say the least. It was a blustery, dull and very overcast day with intermittent heavy rain and with a horrible glare on the water(don't know how as there was no sun to talk of). Black would have been the best option I think for todays conditions.

Don't think there is a best colour, just what is better at the time.

In a local club we fish a small river, there are a number of swims where the river flows under trees, then into the open, under trees etc. no matter what colour you have, it is difficult to see the float, the dark colours vanish under the trees and the light colours in the open.

All to often your float can disappear when the sun comes out, or the sun goes in, it starts raining, it gets windy etc.

Your favourite has got to be one you can see :rolleyes:

You just have to take a selection, B)

A selection of rubber/silicon tubing painted in different colours to slip over the top of the float?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Depends quite a bit on conditions but as a rough guide in water that is not too ripply on a bright day I like flourescent orange and as the light fades I swap for a flourescent green/yellow. In just about all dull conditions the greeny yellow is good but when a river produces bright reflections I favour black even with sunnies on. I guess that floats weigh very little and I tend to walk with a selection of colours all with a similar pattern and weight loading so that if I move from a clear section to an overhang it is simple to swap.

A selection of rubber/silicon tubing painted in different colours to slip over the top of the float?

Something I've not yet done is try trotting under the cloak of darkness and I was thinking the other day about removing the tip from one of my floats and replacing it with a stiffish plastic/rubber tube suitable to house a starlight. I think it would be interesting to see what was feeding in the dark.

Hello George more and more of us Northern lads on here every week

Hi Brian, Always nice to see local lads and share fishing experiences have only recently joined as got a bit more time on my hands to browse the forums.

cheers

George

Something I've not yet done is try trotting under the cloak of darkness and I was thinking the other day about removing the tip from one of my floats and replacing it with a stiffish plastic/rubber tube suitable to house a starlight. I think it would be interesting to see what was feeding in the dark.

Tigger if your into DIY float making then you can buy starlight holders which are incorporated into floats when you make them, during daylight hours a flourescent piece of plastic is slotted in and after hours you replace it with your starlight..

I have trotted after dark and mostly connected with Chub & Trout & the odd Barbel but its real fun watching your starlight trot downstream then disappear as you never know what you hook into until its in the net or there abouts.

Tigger if your into DIY float making then you can buy starlight holders which are incorporated into floats when you make them, during daylight hours a flourescent piece of plastic is slotted in and after hours you replace it with your starlight..

I have trotted after dark and mostly connected with Chub & Trout & the odd Barbel but its real fun watching your starlight trot downstream then disappear as you never know what you hook into until its in the net or there abouts.

I'm no float maker George but have just been fiddling with a broken float :rolleyes: . I was thinking of drilling out a hole in the float body(obviously where the tip was) slotting in the plastic tube and glueing it ready to insert a starlight when I have a stab in the dark. By the way your floats look very nice ! My favourite floats for trotting are the Steve Maher rang, I don't know if you've ever seen them. There not the traditional style like yours though, your's are deffo more pleasing to the eye.