CHUB FISHING

Chub Frenzy

Im going to be chub fishing this winter and (bit inbarrasing being called chubfrenzy) i need to know some secret winter baits. I have fished for chub in summer with bread and i am wondering if this works when the water is carrying colour and cold. Cheesepaste has been sugested by anglers mail and other mags but how do i make it the best way.

Many thanks

CHUBFRENZY

Im going to be chub fishing this winter and (bit inbarrasing being called chubfrenzy) i need to know some secret winter baits. I have fished for chub in summer with bread and i am wondering if this works when the water is carrying colour and cold. Cheesepaste has been sugested by anglers mail and other mags but how do i make it the best way.

Many thanks

CHUBFRENZY

There's more to AN than just the forums - go to the home page and there's 2 excellent articles currently being featured which should answer all your questions - one on winter chub fishing and one on making cheesepaste...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I use ready rolled pastry for the basis of my cheese paste and always make sure there is plenty of smelly cheese in the mix like danish blue though any cheese will do really and a 50/50 mix of pastry to cheese should work well. You can elaborate as much or as little as you like but simple seems to be good on most days. I have a personal preference though for soft almost runny paste made from one of the green groundbait mixes with a bit of ground hemp and chinese five spice for good measure. Simply mould a good lump round a hook with a piece of corn or some other hookable tough bait to keep the paste in place and wait for the line to straighten!

Many thanks

CHUBFRENZY

Chub will scoff just about anything...

CHUB FRENZY,

please keep one thing in mind when fishing for chub. Bait; out of all the fishes that swim in the rivers in this country, the chub is the least likely to need any bait with food colouring or additives in it. Really, move away from that chain of thought, keep it simple.

The ONLY baits ive ever needed for chub are; bread flake/crust, lobworm, maggot and maybe my secret natural bait. if you cant catch on them, then you may aswell use cowpat paste (again, secret), as nothing is likely to work.

If your not catching, its most likely due to your swim choice, or the fact that youve scared off the fish.

Dave

Forget about "secret" baits. Stick to the tried and tested ones. Cheese paste is one of the best, along with some of the others mentioned on here. They all work, but only if you find the fish first. That's the only "secret" to angling that you need to bother about.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

It is possible for chub to be finicky and the golden rule seems to be you find them and not them find you. There is howver in my humble opinion one exception and that is the trotted caster or single pinkie approach. Chub will seldom use energy to dart out for things unless they will gain loads of energy in return for example from a big ol' bait. However I caught some of my better winter specimens last season on nothing more than one caster on an 18 and even then the bite was often finicky.

That said I don't know it all and still havn't found a way to catch the 7-8lb specimens that occasionally show up locally so if anyone has advice on what would most likely be a good approach for sorting out the big lumps from the average fish I would love to know.

I fished a pond today as the river was running to high and fast. I filled a kamasan animal barbed hook up with 10 or 12 maggots mixed red and white and float ledgered. I managed countless chub up to 4lb, a solitary common carp of about 3lb and a couple of perch both about 1 1/2 lb. I had to throw handfulls of maggots in to get the chub going and keep feeding them after every fish to keep them frenzied up.