Will the new proposed legislation stop fish theft?

Worms

Will the proposed new legislation regarding the taking of coarse fish prevent fish theft?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that bringing in the proposed ban on taking coarse fish with limited exceptions for pike grayling and livebait will prevent fish theft?

• Yes
    • No

1,000 views but only 20 odd votes? You don't have to stick your name on it, honest :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

The result so far:

YES 3

NO 22

TOTAL VIEWS 1125

The poll shows the vast majority of anglers on this forum are not fussed either way.

Maybe.

Or maybe it shows how many guests have viewed that can't vote.

And don't forget some people will have viewed more than once to read some of the 40 odd posts.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

The result so far:

YES 3

NO 22

TOTAL VIEWS 1125

The poll shows the vast majority of anglers on this forum are not fussed either way.

Or that the vast majority dont understand,know of the potential threat to our sport.

Or is it the dreaded and often found in the angling world "It wont affect me I'll still go fishing like Ive always done" head in the sand routine?

Its all been a bit of clever "conning" in my opinion. They initially seem to be giving what ALL anglers want ie an end to fish theft,an end to greedyness,an improvement of fish stocks......what angler in their right mind wouldnt want this let alone object to legislation that promises this?

And it seems the majority have fallen for it.Just the few on here who have struggled to realise that the right to take fish has nothing to do with actually taking fish!!! A far harder line to put over and get accepted as it initioally seems to go against what ALL anglers want!!! Madness.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Mind you even with a low 'turnout' I'm still getting a better response than the EA got to the official consultation! 1.44% of AN members as opposed to 0.053% of rod licence holders :rolleyes:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Or that the vast majority dont understand,know of the potential threat to our sport.

Or is it the dreaded and often found in the angling world "It wont affect me I'll still go fishing like Ive always done" head in the sand routine?

Its all been a bit of clever "conning" in my opinion. They initially seem to be giving what ALL anglers want ie an end to fish theft,an end to greedyness,an improvement of fish stocks......what angler in their right mind wouldnt want this let alone object to legislation that promises this?

And it seems the majority have fallen for it.Just the few on here who have struggled to realise that the right to take fish has nothing to do with actually taking fish!!! A far harder line to put over and get accepted as it initioally seems to go against what ALL anglers want!!! Madness.

You're right there Budgie. I've been on another site trying to explain the possible implications of this legislation. The question that kept coming back was "Why was I keen to see coarse fish taken from our fisheries?", I tried to say I wasn't keen to see it, but tried to explain that the right to take them, (whether we chose to exercise that right is up to us), is vital to the future of angling. They couldn't understand it, they seem to think that this legislation will protect fish stocks, even though they agree that it can't/won't be policed. :wallbash: I've given up trying. If I ever get back to fishing normally then I'll just do what I think right, and sod the rest.

I read the site of a member of the Angling Trust, and he said something that sums it up for me.

http://petemarshall.com/diary/

If you scroll down to the bit about the AT, and read where he said that angling doen't need rules just ethics.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• 3 years later...

I am a pike angler .But I don't want to catch pike at all costs. I wont fish for pike in the summer and I wont live bait anymore,its wrong i.m.o. I was glad when I thought there was going to be a ban on taking fish,then when it came out I was gob smacked,what was it ,you could take 15 roach up to 6" or something,so if I was lucky enough to find a shoal of 100 roach(which would take some doing round here)by the end of a week I could have wiped them out

Mick, do you really think that taking 15 Roach a day is to much?

I constantly hear about predation in my area, I am not to far from the famous 300 cormorant roost at Walthamstow Reservours. Considering they have been there for 20/30 years, I do wonder what they eat as they are in no hurry to move on even though they have eaten all the fish in the area. I was pondering this while watching the TV the other night when they covered the fish kill on the river Lea, where did those tens of thousands of dead fish come from?

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

First ban taking any fish, then further down the line a ban on catch and release for political reasons, hey presto we've accidentally got angling completely banned.

That's why the right to take fish is so important.

Btw I can easily go through 15+ live baits in a perch session. And it is still legal to take pike to eat (subject to conditions) under the 'new' legislation, whether you're Eastern European or good old British.

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music