Will the new proposed legislation stop fish theft?

Worms

Will the proposed new legislation regarding the taking of coarse fish prevent fish theft?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that bringing in the proposed ban on taking coarse fish with limited exceptions for pike grayling and livebait will prevent fish theft?

• Yes
    • No

Will the new proposed legislation stop fish theft?

No and it hasn't, the EA don't even turn up to reports of people fishing in the close season.

Last i heard there were 4 people working for the fisheries dept in the field in my local area and they spend most of their time electrofishing/surveying.

I've never been checked for a license, despite being sat next to and seeing various different EA staff on many occasions, i even managed to get the guys repairing a lock to let me drive a mile down a gated track to drop my kit off as i turned up at the same time as them.

This is because the people doing maintenance etc don't give two about anything other than getting their task done and fair play to them. If it was privately run things would be a lot different.

I wouldn't mind paying £27 per rod if it saw my license checked, with bailiffs on 24hr call who actually turn up.

I wouldn't mind paying £27 per rod if it saw my license checked, with bailiffs on 24hr call who actually turn up.

How about paying about £150+ per rod? That's about what it would cost to have the country covered the way you'd like it to be.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

How about paying about £150+ per rod? That's about what it would cost to have the country covered the way you'd like it to be.

John.

Is that really how much it would cost to get the EA staff i have come across on the bank to ask to see my licence?

Say the 4 fisheries people in my area are working off the current £27 licence fee, its not going to take an extra £120 to get another 4 doing continental shifts is it?

Is that really how much it would cost to get the EA staff i have come across on the bank to ask to see my licence?

Say the 4 fisheries people in my area are working off the current £27 licence fee, its not going to take an extra £120 to get another 4 doing continental shifts is it?

It's not just about the four in your area, it would have to be carried out nationwide. There are areas much bigger than your local one, and it would take many more staff to effectively cover it all. They would not just check licences, but be on call to cover illegal activity anywhere, any time, and have the vehicles, and equipment to enable them to do it.

john.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I am out of work at the moment but I would think that £150 a year would be a small price to pay to have the E A on hand to stop what is happening here in the lea valley park, You join your chosen club , pay your money, go fishing and stick to the rules,then they turn up, in their hi vis jackets ,no permits ,no anything,what happens, NOTHING.

• Like 1

It's not just about the four in your area, it would have to be carried out nationwide. There are areas much bigger than your local one, and it would take many more staff to effectively cover it all. They would not just check licences, but be on call to cover illegal activity anywhere, any time, and have the vehicles, and equipment to enable them to do it.

john.

IMHO very much doubt it would cost an extra 500% to get these tasks carried out, the fisheries team already have a lot of gear and managers etc and its done off the £27, also your not going to get groups of shall we say non english people in the yorkshire moors carting off sacks of bream and tench, it needs to be done where the main population are.

I was pretty annoyed when i turned up on the river on 15th to find out some EE's already fishing and had been down there all close season, they'd been reported many times by the bailiff apparently and no one had come to investigate, the bailiff even had their car reg. The EA had told the bailiff the guy who checks the locks would drive down and have a look, of course that was going to happen...

All,

I'm with gozzer.

My reasoning may be a bit more practical. I am the President of "they are just fish". Fish cops would be no more effective than "human" cops. We can't seem to stop crime at any price - can we? God points out the perps have been reported many times. That doesn't sound to promising does it?

You could have a few trophy waters - mox-nix. In general all fish would be put and take. For far fewer bucks you ultimately would pay for "fish cops) you could have a dozen hatcheries and a delivery system.

I believe you would find it soon would become just like the United States. We are 99% "catch and release". You know why? Because we are too lazy to tend to the fish after the capture and wouldn't eat them anyway. About a 50/50 chance they are toxic in one fashion or another.

Phone

• Like 1

off out today catching mackerel, they will be dead and deboned for the use of catching loads of lively conger eels, it's gonna be fun fun fun. :fishing1:

So sorry for you freshwater guys who love pointless legislation.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Rod licence revenue is about £25m a year and while the EA seem rather reticent about how many enforcement officers they actually have (My father photographs them to prove to people that they exist), they do occasionally publish a few figures.

During the period from 1 April to 30 June 2013, EA enforcement officers visited 29 different river locations and 39 still waters in the North East from North Yorkshire up to Northumberland.

So, they visited a total of 68 venues in 91 days across the whole of their North East region - and that's when they're bragging about how tough they are.

That sounds like two part timers with a van to me.

Extrapolate that accross the EA's six English regions and you get a dozen part timers and six vans for the entire country, that's not a lot of enforcement on a £25m revenue stream.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Let's not forget that EA employees are not just there to check for licences and illegal fishing. They are not the servants of anglers alone. Sometimes I think we slag them off a bit too readily as they their name suggests they are responsible for the environment not just the fish in our rivers, canals and stillwaters.

• Like 1

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not