dog walkers and canoers

viney

it was indeed! sent my application for NAA today so hopefully will no longer have the need to fish free spots :)

If you can stretch to it Viney worth considering TAA membership too. They don't have nearly as much water as NAA but it is cheaper and they do have a couple of very nice Kennet bits which IMO are worth the ticket alone. If you can stop Tony (at Thatcham Angling) laughing and joking so much he'll sort out membership in a jiffy.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can stop Tony (at Thatcham Angling) laughing and joking so much he'll sort out membership in a jiffy.

Tony laughing and joking? When was this!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Tony laughing and joking? When was this!

He is such a happy go lucky chap,Rumour has it he did laugh once back in 1978 :lol:

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

i know theres rules and stuff about being curteous etc to other people using rivers/surrounding areas

whilst fishing, but surely this should come our way too? on several occasions ive had dog walkers not watching their dogs while they hassle me for my bait ( the dog today ate have a sandwhich bag of spam liberally covered in chili powder, serves the owners right!) or on many occasions ive seen a tennis ball splash into the water a few meters up from me shortly followed by a dog!

and today while sitting their a few canoes came past, one of which decided to stop infront of my splashing to stay still to look at a woodpecker!

sorry for the rant its just annoying that people cant respect other people!

Whilst fishing a beach match at blackpool i witnessed a dog snaffle a couple of another anglers sandeels,,unfortunately the sandeels had hooks in them ready for the next cast,,The dog owner was understandably upset as his pet had a couple of hooks stuck in its mouth/throat and started giving the angler a piece of his mind.The angler was fuming that he'd lost a rig and would have to bait another one up and told the dog owner to f*#k off,which he did quite quickly..

I think canoeists and boaters believe we all fish under our rod tips,sometimes they will see us while they are paddling along and go further out,,normally to where your baits are...Once i was fishing a water in the lake district and one kayaker shouted to his friends,"hey lads there's a dead fish here and started prodding it with his paddle,,,,it was my deadbait,,,,idiot.

Whilst fishing a beach match at blackpool i witnessed a dog snaffle a couple of another anglers sandeels,,unfortunately the sandeels had hooks in them ready for the next cast,,The dog owner was understandably upset as his pet had a couple of hooks stuck in its mouth/throat and started giving the angler a piece of his mind.The angler was fuming that he'd lost a rig and would have to bait another one up and told the dog owner to f*#k off,which he did quite quickly..

I think canoeists and boaters believe we all fish under our rod tips,sometimes they will see us while they are paddling along and go further out,,normally to where your baits are...Once i was fishing a water in the lake district and one kayaker shouted to his friends,"hey lads there's a dead fish here and started prodding it with his paddle,,,,it was my deadbait,,,,idiot.

Hehehe...do you ever get the odd time when you wish you fished with explosives...hehehe

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

• 2 weeks later...

I am a fisherman and love dogs. I do get annoyed when people cannot control their dogs but saying that my present dog does see all fisherman as naturally friendly sweety holders. This is due to her being fed boilies by a fisherman when she was a puppy. However, she is well trained and is not allowed in the water until she gets my command. She also knows to sit still and quite on the bank and will even watch the rod for bites. She has also learnt to tap the end of the rod with a paw as she knows this always causes an amusing reaction from me.

If there is one thing in the world I hate most its dog haters. why is it some people believe the whole world belongs to themselves or just humans. And as for keeping dogs on leads at all times, would they like it. It is cruel to keep a dog on a lead, they are born to be free just like us. Normally it is the owner that wants training. Also, the law is under close control, not on a lead.

It is this prejudice against dogs that sees them banned. I have always took my dogs fishing with me. They are trained with livestock and my last dog would crawl to the bank edge and new not to cast her shadow on the water. She has also saved me from a group of youths trying to make away with my tackle before aswell. Unfortunatly she has to now stay at home due to winghing idiots whilst I have to watch other dogs being walked in the same areas anyway. As always its people like me who invest time in training the dog that end up paying. I have even offered to display her obediance and pay some type of membership for her but to no avail, apparently all dogs are grouped together. Imagine what parents would say if we did the same to kids.

My fishing, and the next two days as she sulks because she knows where I have been, are no longer as enjoyable for the loss of her company.

A little tip, if someone trys to kick my dog, if she doesn't bite you then i will.

Now for canoists. There is a club on my local freewater and they used to be great. Then some fisherman started to use their launches. A sign was errected for that two peg stretch saying canoists had priority. Fisherman gave them abuse. The sign dissapeared to be found blocking the waterway further down stream. Now, apart from for me, these canoists can be a pain. Guess who i blame.

Do i need to mention the line, hooks, sweetcorn/lunchen meat cans etc etc that have caused injury to swans and wildlife.

I'm sorry to rant but there is a lot of fisherman out there that need training or banning - shall we ban them all. I think not.

Got to admit Ive seen far more anglers who are out of order than canoeists/boaters.Jet Skiers are another matter though.........

In general the angler is more affected by a boat/canoe passing than the fish are!

Bit of tolerance and politeness is all that's required in 99% of situations.

Dog owners,yes I agree its the owners that are the problem not the dogs.......I know............I'm a prime example-

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Bull-Ma...l+Mastiff+Brief

Just two other little anecdotes re dogs! I hate it when leap frogging and a dog comes up pees on the rod rest knocks the indicator and sets the alarm off....startled they then belt off along the bank hitting your other rods as well!!

Dog walkers who have an entire pack of unleashed hounds who comment that the amount of rods your using is "a bit excessive"! Get this a lot on the res in the winter after they give you the "cant fish here mate" speech........

I love em though just part of the days rich tapestry! :rolleyes:

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Got to admit Ive seen far more anglers who are out of order than canoeists/boaters.Jet Skiers are another matter though.........

In general the angler is more affected by a boat/canoe passing than the fish are!

Bit of tolerance and politeness is all that's required in 99% of situations.

Dog owners,yes I agree its the owners that are the problem not the dogs.......I know............I'm a prime example-

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Bull-Ma...l+Mastiff+Brief

Just two other little anecdotes re dogs! I hate it when leap frogging and a dog comes up pees on the rod rest knocks the indicator and sets the alarm off....startled they then belt off along the bank hitting your other rods as well!!

Dog walkers who have an entire pack of unleashed hounds who comment that the amount of rods your using is "a bit excessive"! Get this a lot on the res in the winter after they give you the "cant fish here mate" speech........

I love em though just part of the days rich tapestry! :rolleyes:

Budgie that link is hilarious saw a funny thing at a lock a couple of summers ago as we were going through massive gin palace in front of us with the Admiral complete with gold edged cap has obviously arranged to pick up some friends at the lock to take out for a day on the river ,the lock slowly fills up until the swim platform bit on the back of said boat is level with the side of the boat and he invites them to step aboard with there chests slowly puffing out in pride as the crowd sat at the lock eating ice creams look on enviously his dog intervenes .

The Shepherd was having none of this strange people boarding his boat in a lock of all places and charges down from the bridge at a rate of knots all fangs and slobber .

Nothing he could do to placate the dog enough to allow them on and they were left there complete with ice box of goodies as he had to sheepishly sail of into the sunset without them ,You had to be there to get the full effect but the look on there faces as the situation went form look at us everyone we are out on this big boat bet you wish it was you to being left on te side with the boat dog wagging its tail looking very pleased with its self at protecting its masters property and the Admiral himself a bright shade of crimson 50% embarrassment 50 % anger .

Made my morning anyway as you say all part of life's rich tapestry Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: