dog walkers and canoers

viney

encounter plenty of dog walkers as the ponds on the route of the greensand way ,99% are fine (the owners are as well) a few consider the pond as a dog bathing place got no problem with that if theres no anglers that end.

the biggest problems i have seen are anglers reluctant to move their poles as horses come past on the dam ,if the poles were broken then i'm sure they would complain but its a bridlepath after all.

some horse riders are very annoyed when their horses refuse to go near a pole or indeed have to find another route when some pratt parks directly in the gap we leave so horses can get past the car barrier ,its not all one way folks theres good and bad in all.

our members can take their dogs fishing so long as their on a lead ,most follow the rules some refuse and get a verbal.

not encountered canooists for years the village bans them but all said most avoid anglers if anglers treat them as valid river/canal users too

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too fish a few waters which canoeists and boat owners use and I haven’t had any real difficulties. At worst they ignore you and just navigate through, most say good day and the boat owners generally slow down I guess in the belief that a slower propeller will cause less disturbance, don’t know if it does but I always acknowledge the gesture.

Dog owners are a different matter most of my encounters have been very annoying and one scared the life out of me. I was at the Lambourn when a huge mutt spotted me and ran up barking aggressively, the owner said that it was because he felt threatened by the rod. Ok so we’d established why pooch was upset but the owner did very little to regain control of his pet. Others are just ignorant of the disturbance the dogs cause in the water but I suppose if I fish those sort of venues it’s something I’ll have to put up with.

If I had a dog I’d want to take it somewhere to do dog stuff.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I used to do a bit of canoeing but not for about 15 years or so. I don't get much trouble on the Lugg and Teme. Although you can get quite a few in the summer most seem aware of anglers and usually coast through....some even say hello!

As for dogs, well I own an English Springer Spaniel.....a water dog! He loves going in the river and I let him go in just about every day. I do however tend to check that anglers aren't about before I do so. I have had similar incidents with other people's dogs investigating my fishing tackle and a mix of responses from owners. However I usually find that a polite request gets me much further than a rant!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

... but I suppose if I fish those sort of venues it’s something I’ll have to put up with.

Exactly my feelings, I fish places where people swim, boat, canoe, walk their dogs etc etc. Sometimes you get disturbed, sometimes you don't. I have my fishing disturbed far more frequently by idiotic anglers than other river/lake users. If in doubt I just fish places away from the masses, but in general this is to avoid other anglers rather than anyone/thing else.

In terms of selfishness, self-righteousness etc anglers are in my experience top of the tree. Afterall rivers and lakes in public places only exist for our use.

Rich

In terms of selfishness, self-righteousness etc anglers are in my experience top of the tree. Afterall rivers and lakes in public places only exist for our use.

Rich

Yeah but Anglers are the only one's who actually have to pay for the pleasure and so called up keep of the waters.

Edited by Tigger

Yeah but Anglers are the only one's who actually have to pay for the pleasure and so called up keep of the waters.

some canoeists and boaters pay licence fees remember ,i regret anglers licence fees do little to venues its the owners and clubs that stump up the majority the EA are nothing more than tax enforcers i'm afraid

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I too fish a few waters which canoeists and boat owners use and I haven’t had any real difficulties. At worst they ignore you and just navigate through, most say good day and the boat owners generally slow down I guess in the belief that a slower propeller will cause less disturbance, don’t know if it does but I always acknowledge the gesture.

Dog owners are a different matter most of my encounters have been very annoying and one scared the life out of me. I was at the Lambourn when a huge mutt spotted me and ran up barking aggressively, the owner said that it was because he felt threatened by the rod. Ok so we’d established why pooch was upset but the owner did very little to regain control of his pet. Others are just ignorant of the disturbance the dogs cause in the water but I suppose if I fish those sort of venues it’s something I’ll have to put up with.

Rusty most boat owners will go straight down the middle track slowly to try not to disturb anglers unless they have been signalled by said angler to come close ie fishing far side or visa versa to minimise the disturbance ,Sometimes they come across anglers hidden from sight behind a bush and it can appear as if they have deliberately come close ,Some boaters are just ignorant to anglers as some anglers are to boaters good and bad in......

You do the right thing in acknowledging the boats as it encourages them to continue to do so [slow down that is] .

Used to take my dog Piking with me but got fed up of others mutts just barging into the swim ages before the owner arrived ,some of this was even at a cemex lake that had private banks and even after pointing this out to them they still tried to make out i was being unreasonable .

Public access areas and water like Northcroft are a nightmare and as you say sometimes it just comes with the territory but a major overreaction makes you feel better <_<:rolleyes: steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I think the best ones are the owners that allow their dog to run down the beach, urinate on you bait/gear/sandwiches, then for some reason get irate when a carefully aimed size 12 flies at their dog. It doesnt just happen once either. Im sure there has to be a dogs on leads rule somewhere. In any case with all this practice Jonny Wilkinson better watch out. Pity i have to dry my stuff afterwards

That must have been fantastic. Can i come fishing with you next time on the off chance that she comes round again

Viney don`t suppose it happened at the bit behind Northcroft?? free bits like that are a nightmare with uncontroled dogs and i have had a couple of issues there in the past myself but find a a total overreaction is the only thing they understand .

Tigger close but i reckon Punch the owner then shoot him and train the dog as they are only doing what these ***** teach/allow them to ,Canoe a bit myself but have never had a problem with fishermen as its mainly on the Thames and being a angler tend to be more aware of where Fishermen are likely to be .

Good and bad in all including Anglers Steve.

it was indeed! sent my application for NAA today so hopefully will no longer have the need to fish free spots :)

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88