Notebook / Laptop Advice

Elton

I could do with some advice.

When I'm at home, my time is generally spent running Anglers' Net and selling stuff. I have very little time to write articles. In fact, the backlog of mundane work builds up every day.

I want to go fishing more this year and, as some of that will involve days on carp lakes and the odd night in Travelodges, so this would be an ideal time to write articles and reviews. Not only will I be free from distractions, but I should also be in the right frame of mind.

I own an old laptop. The battery is useless and, even when I did use take it with me, it was too big and didn't last long enough.

What would be the best solution for me? I need something, basically, that will just allow me to type. It needs to be fairly compact, but by the same token, I don't like small keyboards. It also needs to hold a good charge.

I'd really appreciate some recommendations, especially on the possible 'secondhand' front, as I'm pretty skint. I'm going to list a load of stuff on Ebay to pay for whatever I get, but don't want it costing an arm and a leg.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i keep a whole lot (well actually all) of my intrepid details on my pda so when i'm at a boot fair i can instantly see if i have the particular model ,its box etc ,trouble is its only a small screen but works under windows and the modern ones have wireless as well as bluetooth ,as for the keyboard i use the onboard one but you can get "real" ones that connect to the pda via bluetooth or direct connection.

pocket sized but use windows mobile 2003 word and excel and media player so you can store your music etc.

mines good enough for what i want but perhaps to small for what you want.

the modern ones have built in phones and gps ,i look and wish :D

you can enter details via your pc or t' other way round and they sync together.

hp are a very good make and their website ofcourse far better than some!

if its just for stuff where word processing is the main use its far smaller and lighter than a laptop ,if you need a larger screen then laptops are best but in between are tablet pc's but i havnt any experience of those.

you can get a larger battery for mine but it also charges via usb (you can get car cigarette lighter plugins with usb sockets as well as built in mini inverters) or ordinary car lighter doodas

they have small by modern standard built in memory (as in storage) but have slots for memory cards etc ,mine has a gig CF which is plenty for me

theres always a constant supply on fleabay

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Back in the days when I used to write a bit, I carried a small "dictaphone" type thingy.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Back in the days when I used to write a bit, I carried a small "dictaphone" type thingy.

Den

Den,

I have most of the articles 'written' in my head - my memory is almost like a dictaphone. It's just when I get home, I'd like to be able to simply upload them to AN, add a photo and move on to editing chesters' posts and stuff... :)

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Den,

I have most of the articles 'written' in my head - my memory is almost like a dictaphone. It's just when I get home, I'd like to be able to simply upload them to AN, add a photo and move on to editing chesters' posts and stuff... :)

go for a full sized PC then :P

the pda's record as well so they are a dictaphone

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Asus EeePC 900 google it, it's the dangles
A stonking bit of kit for the asking price. There's a review here Elton.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

With what you have said regarding keyboard size you are going to need a standard laptop and not a compact type unit.

Rather than gamble on a secondhand unit on e-bay, Google laptops for students this fires up lots of sites for low cost and refurbished laptops that come with guarantees, i have seen good spec units starting from around £190.00.

Hope this helps. :thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Asus EeePC 900 google it, it's the dangles

That was gonna be my suggestion as well. Perfect for what you want and whilst the keyboard is small, it isn't too small. I have one and the battery charge is also pretty damn good too. Oh and mine was 210 pounds, they're probably even cheaper now.

Rob.

Where did you get it, Rob? Prices seem way above that on a quick search.

Now off to do a bit more searching....cheers, chaps :)