IFCAs are a'coming

Leon Roskilly

Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authorities, which are due to replace Sea Fisheries Committees (SFCs) in England in April 2011, will have extended powers and duties.

No longer simply existing to regulate commercial fishing, they will have a wider responsibility towards all 'stakeholders' and a far greater responsibility towards the sustainable management of the marine environment.

SFCs were criticised for being too focussed on, and under the majority control of commercial fishing interests.

'Advice' given to the Marine Management Organisation (MMO - itself now being set up as a new non-government agency) which will be rsponsible for winding down the SFCs and implementing the new IFCAs, includes the following:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/fisheries...nt-guidance.pdf

There was consensus during the Parliamentary processes of the Act that IFCAs should have a more balanced membership than currently exists in Sea Fisheries Committees to ensure they could fulfil the additional duties given to them through the Act, that no one sector is able to dominate the committee and that decisions taken by the IFCAs are subsequently balanced and that the desired „culture change‟ from Sea Fisheries Committees to IFCAs is achieved.

Defra also want the membership of the IFCAs to represent the right balance for each individual district‟s economic, social and environmental needs.

The needs of the individual regions will vary across the different IFCA districts, and may also vary over time, so Defra do not consider it appropriate to prescribe detailed membership proportions in this guidance note.

Those decisions need to remain flexible to respond to local circumstances, and should be taken by the MMO in consultation with the IFCA itself, and with key partners in the regions.

(Recreational Sea Angling is one of the sectors that the document suggests should form part of that 'balance')

So, how is that 'balance' for each IFCA to be decided?

(SFCs are already submitting their views on what is right for their area. Strange really that weight will be given to the views of SFCs criticised for not having a good balance, but understandably wanting to keep things as much the same as possible).

And should RSA have anything to do with IFCAs?

(They will have much more scope for managing and regulating both angling and bait-digging/collection etc)

These questions are urgent as potential membership of the IFCAs are now being recruited, with 'shadow' IFCAs being set up in October, just a few months away.

And how things work out will fundamentally affect sea anglers over the next few decades at least.

For more information on IFCA recruitment visit http://www.ifcamembers.co.uk.

(Applications will be accepted until 12 April, 2010).

To find out more about IFCAs see: http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/fisheries...ishman/ifca.htm

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

(They will have much more scope for managing and regulating both angling and bait-digging/collection etc)

Why is it the need to manage a requirement? What part of the rsa needs managing ? What is wrong with the rsa scene, apart from restrictions tell us what else can management offer the rsa? if the answer is restrictions, what is the point?

I have looked at the requirements for joining the new committess previously and the rsa are at the bottom of the list, very low down just like an appendix really. Looks like you need to be green and mean to have a to be of any use.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I really fail to understand what is so bad about recreational sea angling that it needs to be managed ? I continually hear people telling me about all the things that anglers do that they shouldnt, but when you ask for evidence - you never get a reply. Maybe Leon should change his screen name to "The Grim Reaper"

Easy chaps, with the shrinking of the commercial industry there are a lot of fisheries managers needing something to manage.........and if the clowns are daft enough to jump up and down shouting........"Hey we are over here, come and get us".......who can blame them if their opportunistic tentacles slither RSAs way.......... :headhurt:

I really fail to understand what is so bad about recreational sea angling that it needs to be managed ? I continually hear people telling me about all the things that anglers do that they shouldnt, but when you ask for evidence - you never get a reply. Maybe Leon should change his screen name to "The Grim Reaper"

There is nothing bad about RSA that needs managing, Glenn. The managers just think there is because they have been told so many times by sea angling misrepresentatives that, a) The fish stocks are so bad that something needs to be done about it, b ) There are millions of sea anglers out there, and, c) Sea anglers want parity with commercial fishermen.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

What stevieg said.

Nobody needs managers more than managers need managers!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Anyone imagine a manager following me a mile and a half up a muddy creek to see where and how many worms i dig. How can they manage a worm bed. They wouldn't even know where and what to look for, i certainly wouldn't assist them as i can't really see what the benifit will be to manage worm digging, anyone know. Or does someone want to guess and big it up for the do gooders to further scream for restrictions.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Anyone imagine a manager following me a mile and a half up a muddy creek to see where and how many worms i dig. How can they manage a worm bed. They wouldn't even know where and what to look for, i certainly wouldn't assist them as i can't really see what the benifit will be to manage worm digging, anyone know. Or does someone want to guess and big it up for the do gooders to further scream for restrictions.

Unfortunately, it won't work like that. All they'll have to do is wait by your car and peer into your bucket when you return to it.

The best people to manage worm beds, believe it or not, are professional worm diggers. They have been managing worm beds for donkeys years and still make a living out of them.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Unfortunately, it won't work like that. All they'll have to do is wait by your car and peer into your bucket when you return to it.

The best people to manage worm beds, believe it or not, are professional worm diggers. They have been managing worm beds for donkeys years and still make a living out of them.

I can just imagine tipping them out and them counting them. I can imagine loads of cctv cameras set up on the coastline as well, nothing queerer than fiction, or is there? :rolleyes:

Well for what its worth I think anglers will have to be involved in the new structures because if they don't we'll be stuffed

Everyone will have to contribute in some way big or small even if its just a case of writing a letter or dropping an e mail to the committee asking for the views of anglers to be considered or for angling to be included as a matter of course, when policy or planning for the future by-laws that they will invarably be wanting to introduce

If anglers don't get involved at the very outset there is a real possibility that anglers views will be marginalised or even ignorned

I had been thinking of getting involved in the new set up but have been reminded of a promise I made some years back not to other outside interests before the family and earning a wage otherwise I think my name would have been in the hat for the North eastern region

My only concern is that should someone put forward their name that they might not realise just how much of a committment they would be letting themselves in for and how the day time meeting slots can seriously play havock with your wages when they have to give up a days pay for free