E.A. Powers Of Access?

Elton

old info i'm afraid only EA bailliffs or plod can ask to see your licence now , you dont even have to show it to a club bailliff if you dont want to

Err....the club I bailiff for requires me to ask to see the anglers EA licence along with their club book. If they don't want to show me their EA licence or haven't got one then they have to leave the waters.

I have to say I don't agree with the rod licence but if I've gotta get one ........ :D

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you needed a rod licence even if you are fishing on your own private lake. Don't mess with a water bailiff in Scotland, they just about have full power of arrest, and whilst not warranted officers, if they want to search your freezer they'll get a search warrant from the sheriff at the drop of a hat.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

As others have said, although it was a genuine mistake (and one I'm sure many make) you are guilty of the offence and should just pay the fines, feel annoyed, and move on. There's nothing in it for you if you try to fight it. And yes, if I had a little private pond in my back garden, I would still be legally required to hold a rod license if I wanted to fish it.

Even if you have a rod license, there's nothing useful written on it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

And yes, if I had a little private pond in my back garden, I would still be legally required to hold a rod license if I wanted to fish it.

Yeah, but would you be happy if an EA bailiff climed over your fence or just walked round your property to your back garden and asked to see your licence ?

Yeah, but would you be happy if an EA bailiff climed over your fence or just walked round your property to your back garden and asked to see your licence ?

No I wouldn't! But it sounds like he'd have the right to. It's all a bit daft isn't it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

No I wouldn't! But it sounds like he'd have the right to. It's all a bit daft isn't it.
A Customs and Excise man can bang on your door at two o'clock in the morning and demand to search your house and he doesn't need a search warrant.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Doesn't a rod licence only entitle you to fish with a rod and line (2 off)? Doesn't give you any rights to use the rod and line anywhere.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Im not so sure an EA bailiff does have any right of access.A right to check licences yes regardless of water being private or public but I thought permission to access the land had to be gained.They certainly cant be allowed to force gates climb fences etc.

Access can and often is one of the most delicate areas on any fishery leased of a land owner and as such a bailiff just marching on to the land to check anglers licences could cause a lot of friction with the landowner. Ive certainly experienced that!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Im not so sure an EA bailiff does have any right of access.A right to check licences yes regardless of water being private or public but I thought permission to access the land had to be gained.They certainly cant be allowed to force gates climb fences etc.

Access can and often is one of the most delicate areas on any fishery leased of a land owner and as such a bailiff just marching on to the land to check anglers licences could cause a lot of friction with the landowner. Ive certainly experienced that!

You may not like it but the power to "enter remain upon and traverse any lands...adjoining or near to any waters within the [river authority area] for the purpose of preventing any offence" is enshrined in law. EA bailiffs have the power of constables in this instance.