closed face reels: what to buy?

bromley

Strange I know but I’m a fan of closed face reels and use them for most float work on the rivers and still waters. I’ve had a Daiwa 125M for many years now and it’s never let me down. However, after 10 years it’s a bit past is sell by date and I need another. I’ tried an Abu 704 a few years ago but was not that impressed as the pick up pin kept sticking and I sold it on.

What’s my best bet? Another Daiwa 125M, or is the new Abu 706 any good? Alternatively, a friend suggest that Abu have never bettered the 501 and I can get one in decent condition on eBay for £25 or £30 quid.

Advice appreciated gents

I have the 706, bought as my first CF for windy trotting days.

The first time I used it the line got caught around the pin behind the silver drum twice and was a pain to sort out. I'm a CF novice and so may have overloaded the spool or I just wasn't using it properly, I 've since removed some line but haven't had a chance to try it again.

It seems well made and is a lovely little reel so it'll definitely be getting another airing. Don't know how it compares with the older ABUs though, some have a bit of a cult following.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I still use a 501, bought in the 70s, never had any trouble with it. If you can get hold of a decent one, I'd say go for it.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I have a couple of DAM CF2s. Built like a brick built outside WC facility (and weigh about the same :D )

Solid and smooth and make these ABU things look flimsy ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I have a couple of DAM CF2s. Built like a brick built outside WC facility (and weigh about the same :D )

Solid and smooth and make these ABU things look flimsy ;)

Comparing the reel to a WC? What you trying to say about it Dave? :unsure:

Looks can be deceiving, I've had my ABU about 35yrs now, and it's still going strong. Smooth enough to land double figure carp, and fluke a double figure pike, both on 1.5bs hook length and size 18. :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

i've used and broke most makes of closed faced reels, the abu older 500 series was head & shoulders above the rest ,but the new 706 is even better and the best value for money as well with the extra spools you get with it and the case is a bonus .

dam cf's ,i've given them away fllt too flimsy & clunky ,most diawa's i've had are probably still at the bottom of the trent ,nestling next too the shakespeare c/f's except the one i broke in the shop which is probably still on the shelf under 6" of dust ,the crack 400 is just wiered & has nylon gears ,so not safe in my hands ,ryobi made a couple of half decent c/f's but they're hard too find these days .

abu hasn't always got it right the 1044 is ok but a tad heavy ,the old 507 {mk2} goldmax is/are shear rubish ,the old 704's not much better ,they all have poor veriable oscillation rations of greater than 1:1 .and have troublesome twin pin arrangements

at least the new 706 has only one pin ,and good solid gears and the anti-reverse is easy too reach + the spools fit the older 500 series

you treat them just like centrepins ,50m - 70m max of line and you should be ok

if i had to buy a new c/f it would have too be the 706 ,in fact i brought one as soon as they came out ,and sold off two of my older 500 series reels ,if abu brought out a larger version (like the origanal 507 {mk1} ) i'd be in closed faced heaven ,i like them that much.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I have a couple of ABU 501's and a some 507's never had a problem with them although it's rare I even think of using a cf. I guess I tend to fish in less windy spots these days.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I own 2 Daiwa 125s plus a 123. Reliable drag and easy to use. The 123 has no drag but still used now and then. The new Abu still has the strange anti back wind device which I find awkward. The Daiwa comes highly recommended in my opinion and has always been dependable though in fairness I do know someone who had one for one season before it broke.