Eel fishing - Can you single out the big boys?

Dales

I suppose you could hook a lob on in the same fashion as you do...say a rag/lug worm when fishing the sea...hook through the nose and thread the worm around the hook and up the line bringing the hook out of the worm half way or so down it's body, maybe that'll stop the little blighters nipping off bits of the worm as easily.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea if this will work, but I was told of this method to catch large eels about 50 years ago.

2 lobs on a hook, put the hook into the middle of some loose wool, about the size of a half fist up to the size of a fist.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I have no idea if this will work, but I was told of this method to catch large eels about 50 years ago.

2 lobs on a hook, put the hook into the middle of some loose wool, about the size of a half fist up to the size of a fist.

I think you are on about "babbing" Rod.This was an old method used to catch eels for the pot,No hook was used just a ball of wool with loads of worms in it attached to some line/cord.The eels would try to get the worms but their teeth would get caught up in the wool.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

my old man goes for eels a lot he quite a good fisherman i'll ask him about them, he was actually talking about going out for a night session with me soon for eels, he was telling me they will do anything to get off the hook including "ripping it out" how fun!! looks like the challenge will be on dales, who can catch the biggest fattest eel, dales i want bloomin pictures young man!

I think you are on about "babbing" Rod.This was an old method used to catch eels for the pot,No hook was used just a ball of wool with loads of worms in it attached to some line/cord.The eels would try to get the worms but their teeth would get caught up in the wool.

Thanks BUDGIE sounds about right certainly the man who told me was a gamekeeper on a very large estate and I am sure they would be for the pot...hehehe...well someones pot.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I think you have to find a lake with big ones in first :) I catch a lot of eels using the method with maggots in the feeder mix and maggots on the hook (no hair) Most are around the 3lb mark, but every now and then a 5lber or more pops up...I've even had a couple of 6's using the same tactics.

If you have a good head of good average (3lb+) eels in the lake, then you have a good chance of a 5 or 6, and I would think that Wingham fits the bill.

One thing I have found over the years, is that eels are very crafty feeders. They will nibble and strip a bait from the hook, often without you even being aware of it (ask a lot of carpers :) ). This is why I don't use a hair rig or maggot clips, I use a short hooklink, thread a maggot on the hook shank, and follow this with about 8 others straight on the hook.

My biggest ones have come on a feeder with a VERY short (1") hooklink.

I like Eels..................

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I am not an eel expert but to avoid them I don't use maggots (especially dead maggots) or worms after dark. So, I would stick out lots of dead maggots and chopped worm and play the numbers game, and try to catch as many as possible. The average size is high, so there's every chance of a really big one.

I'm just wondering whether or not I would like to fish next to someone who is doing that...

+ they might attract every eel out of my swim

- they might attract every eel in the lake through my swim

:lol:

I had a few seasons Eel Fishing and mainly used Air Injectected Lobworms on the JS rig.

You got what you got, lobworms are non selective, when it comes to size of Eels.

The Only thing you can do is try different waters that you think may hold Big Eels.

Bob

I had a few seasons Eel Fishing and mainly used Air Injectected Lobworms on the JS rig.

You got what you got, lobworms are non selective, when it comes to size of Eels.

The Only thing you can do is try different waters that you think may hold Big Eels.

Bob

Been thinking about an Eel session at Wingham for a few years now but never got past the Tench/Bream bug to give it a go.

I caught a very good Eel at an AN fish in once but never got to weigh it after it spat the hook out in my landing net and escaped through a hole in the mesh.

I don't think I like the sound of that, as it's sport fishing and I would not want to take the risk of an eel or any other fish swallowing the wool or getting tangled in it. But I guess if you were fishing for the pot it would be an interesting idea and if you were planning to bump it on the head it makes no difference, but it's catch and release I am into.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek