ZenMaster

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Something I noticed is the crazy prices of Centre Pin Reels.

The likes of the dam ROBO reel like this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Its already at £100 with 6 days left! I think thats crazy and I think £30 range is what people should be paying for a good centre pin and up-to £60 for a very good reel.

Around £300+ for a reel, £200 for a spare spool and £50 fora line guard is just insane imho.

The next batch of the Zen Master will have a smaller knob on the back (i know, my knob is too big :blink: ) and I will keep that model going.

The Zen Master Pro will still be simple but will have ball bearings, and steel handle (maybe) and I might add a side casting seat if it dosent add too much to the weight.

I want these to be known as good reels at great prices.

The picture of the reel I have attached retails at around $500 in the states. Crazy IMO.

I also wanted to say that all opinions on here (as varied as they are) will all be considered when designing the Pro model.

Any posters on here can get a discount when they are available if they want to buy one.

I will keep checking in, and thanks again. I feel like I have come to the right place.

post-19501-1274867819_thumb.jpg

I think they are .

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Most of my posts are not coming up. Could there be a reason for this?

I gave a link in a very long winded post to a certain auction site and I am wondering if thats why it got blocked or if thats why its gone to checking or something.

Its for a DAM ROBO going for a small fortune with 6 days to go. Crazy IMO.

I was also giving thanks etc for comments and was answering questions and responding to comments. Can thise posts be brought back from the abyss (sp?)?

This is assuming this post makes it through.

Also, if you guys have a local tackle shop that might want to stock these reel please either give them my details, or give me theirs (mention it to them first please). This way you guys can see them if nothing else.

I will even supply shops low volume because with the low weight postage is very low.

I love the idea of the light weight and don't agree that you need any weight in the reel to balance the rod, paticularly given where you hold the rod using a CP. All the reel does is add weight so the less it weighs the better IMO.

Interesting that Sportsman. I have to admit to writing the comment based on my gut feel but your view has forced me to conduct an impromptu scientific test.

A 15' rod assembled in my garden has a balance point somewhere around the second ring (exactly where isn't important). Holding the rod in a normal CP position is behind the balance point and so the rest of the rod exerts leverage on your wrist. Adding a reel brings the balance point towards the butt and closer to your wrist so less leverage is exerted. All up weight increases but the reel is ‘helping’ you out.

This only works to a point, a heavy reel might bring the balance point to where you’re holding the rod but then the total weight is too much to hold all day. Equally a lighter reel won’t help you much, although the total weight is less the position of the balance point (further away) means you’re having to deal with more leverage.

A long winded way of saying that (I think) there is a minimum ideal weight for a reel if you’re going to be holding the rod all day but it depends on the length & weight of the rod being used.

I dropped physics in the second year of secondary school so if I’ve missed a fundamental law it wouldn’t surprise me.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Interesting that Sportsman. I have to admit to writing the comment based on my gut feel but your view has forced me to conduct an impromptu scientific test.

A 15' rod assembled in my garden has a balance point somewhere around the second ring (exactly where isn't important). Holding the rod in a normal CP position is behind the balance point and so the rest of the rod exerts leverage on your wrist. Adding a reel brings the balance point towards the butt and closer to your wrist so less leverage is exerted. All up weight increases but the reel is ‘helping’ you out.

This only works to a point, a heavy reel might bring the balance point to where you’re holding the rod but then the total weight is too much to hold all day. Equally a lighter reel won’t help you much, although the total weight is less the position of the balance point (further away) means you’re having to deal with more leverage.

A long winded way of saying that (I think) there is a minimum ideal weight for a reel if you’re going to be holding the rod all day but it depends on the length & weight of the rod being used.

I dropped physics in the second year of secondary school so if I’ve missed a fundamental law it wouldn’t surprise me.

You are right about the weight and balance, which is why way back in the 70's and 80's when poles really started to take off in the match scene many match anglers would add lead to the base/bottom of their poles to achieve a balance that reduced the effort of holding a pole for a long period and eased striking considerably.

I have already said I am going to test some of these reels myself on a variety of rods from cane to carbon and on various length rods from a converted Fly fishing rod to a new J W Youngs Trotter.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Most of my posts are not coming up. Could there be a reason for this?

Until you reach 15 posts, each one has to be approved by a mod before it becomes visible.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Any posters on here can get a discount when they are available if they want to buy one.

Sounds good to me !

I'll have a black or alloy coloured one, small knobs, normal foot in 4 inch please :thumbs::D

Guest Wilko 09

Nice one ZenMaster,

I'd be interested in a Black Pro