that perch

zedhead

Leave it out, chaps. i agree with rabbit in the fact i find live baiting small fish cruel and will not partake myself, but each to their own and if zedhead is after information regarding his type of fishing then i see no problem with that,as mentioned it is an open forum and everyone can choose what they wish to or not to read.

steve.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well said steve, however i am still a little mystfied on how people find using live bait morally wrong when using other live creatures wrong. in america amphibians are used as live baits and in evolutionary terms are much more advanced than fish!

what i am saying is that it is totally hypocrytical to resent live baiting using fish but using other live animals without any objection.

I used to feed my piranha fish live goldfish and people were horrified but in the real world its natural for predators to catch and kill.

Sometimes a predator will ignore dead bait but if it sees something struggling it can't resist attacking it.At the end of the day it's more of a stimulant and you should get better results using live bait.It is a horrible thing to do if you sit and think about it but thats life.

Tigger.

Some of us may not like the fact that livebaiting goes on (myself included) but it is an allowed tactic, and as has already been said, this is an open forum. Zedhead is requesting help on his fishing, and helping angers is one of the things this site is good at. All discussions about the wrongs/rights of livebaiting will stop right now....

Zed, if anyone can help you, it's Steve Burke. He's pretty much the authority on perch here (not to denigrate anyone else :) ).

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Just as a matter of fact rabbit, what do YOU use as bait? Not just at the moment whan you are in a "holier than thou" mode, but from the time you started fishing. If you have NEVER used a worm, maggot or caster, I think it quite safe to say that you are, at best, economical with the truth.

However, if you use such baits, you are being cynical in the extreme and should pack up fishing and join the other cynics in P**a

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

What about all the poor insects, moles, worms etc that are poisoned or chopped up and ploughed into the ground to grow the grain to make that cruelty free piece of breadflake ?

Short of becomming one of those fruit and nuts (picked without killing the plant) nutters, there is simply no way of producing food or bait without killing something.

As for the livebaiting issue, it's been done to death but getting ar5ey about someone using livebaits is a bit rich when the singular aim of fishing is to stick sharp metal objects (hooks)into harmless aquatic animals and drag them (albeit with great care) from the water for sport.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Zed , Try a 'pennel' rig.

Two hooks - one through the anal fin / flank and the other that runs loose on the mainline twisted round a few times and through the bottom lip.

Give the bigger Strippy a bit of time (as you would a pike) to turn the baitfish after first being hit and only tighten to it rather than strike. If you are using a bigish float it should self hook anyways.

I'm of the opinion that the better Strippy likes to eat smaller strippy's! But a decent worm or other live bait can get a nice fish or two.

Always put the fish back in a few swims away as you will soon spook the rest if not.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.