Blame Wordbender for what I am about to inflict.

Rustam Bana

Hello everyone.

I am new to the forum as well as the sport. I live in Bangalore, India, not too far from the Cauvery which is famed for its Mahaseer.

Last Sunday, a friend took me along to his angling club and I have been well and truly hooked since then and have spent most of the week looking at fishing related websites trying to make sense of all the terms and equipment - without much success, I might add.

Hence, I need your help in suggesting the appropriate tackle. I will need two types of tackle - one for Mahaseer and the other for grass carp, rohu (a form of carp), maral (snake head?) and probably a few other species I haven't heard off as yet.

Mahaseer fishing will be done on the River Cauvery and the other in canals and lakes. All of which are freshwater.

I have no fishing equipment and will be starting from scratch. The budget is in the 250 to 300 quid region and if I am unable to buy equipment for both types of fishing within this range, I would prefer to buy the non-Mahaseer fishing equipment first.

I need to know what type of rod, reel, line, hooks, swivels, floats, etc. are required to get started.

Since fishing equipment needs to be imported, I would like fairly good quality stuff which would last for a while.

Just to see if I am understanding the subject correctly, would the following equipment be appropriate:

Mahaseer rod: Shimano Beastmaster Uptide BMUPT96610AX or BMUPT9626AX.

Mahaseer reel: Shimano Baitrunner 10000XTE.

General Spinning rod: Shimano Beastmaster SBM210ML

General Spining reel: Shimano Twin Power 4000 XT RA.

Looking forward to your replies.

Thank you.

Rustam

[ 01. July 2005, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: Rustam Bana ]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rustam Bana - welcome to AnglersNet.

Since you are listing only UK rods & reels, I'll pass on any suggestions but there should be plenty of responses later in the day.

I can give a general comment that Shimano makes quality gear but their offerings in the US are somewhat different than the ones designed for UK sale. To get good gear, your money amounts will pretty much restrict you to buying one set of tackle though and I think you've started with the one that will see the most use.

As to blaming Wordbender, we can certainly do that. :D:D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hello Newt and thanks for the welcome.

I have been advised to buy the rods and reels from the U.K. and the terminal tackle from the U.S.. However, this is not written in stone, so I would very much like to hear your suggestions.

In what way is the Shimano gear available in the U.S. different from that in the U.K.?

Thanks.

Rustam

As an example of the differences, take the Baitrunner reels.

US Baitrunner reel from Shimano. This is the 3500 but the others are the same except for size with the 3500 being the smallest.

Posted Image

I have used one of these for about 5 years now and can say it is a really excellent piece of gear.

UK Shimano Baitrunner 10000XTE

Posted Image

I hear good things about them but have never even seen one so can't comment.

I like the UK rods for long rods to use with bait. You pay a bit more but they are better than you can find in the US. For shorter rods and especially for lure angling, I think the US has a much better selection.

I think if you give us a better idea of where you will be fishing and what size fish you expect, we can do a more reasonable job of making suggestion. Good, when possible, to include the scientific name of the fish too. Mahaseer is probably OK since I only know of one fish that goes by that name but grass carp, while it is usually Ctenopharyngodon idella can also be one of several other and very different species.

Once you get past rods & reels, you also need to think of landing nets and reel line (huge number of very different choices there) to name several items that have a significant cost and the various other less expensive bits that go along with your angling tool kit.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Welcome to Anglers Net, Rustam Bana

I won't comment on your tackle choice beyond saying that as my traditional fixed-spool reels wear out (I have been fishing for over sixty years), I replace them with Shimano Baitrunners and Stradics, which I find excellent. Top-of-the range Shimano reels sound a very good idea if you expect to catch large powerful fish.

I have not used Beastmasters, but I'm sure plenty of posters here have, so you will get plenty of advice from them.

For overseas travel I use Shimano Exage spinning rods - again, I find them excellent.

Buying from the USA or Australia might be less expensive than from the UK - provided you can get the model you want.

Like Newt, I would welcome more details of what fish you seek, and where.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

quote:

Originally posted by Newt:

I think if you give us a better idea of where you will be fishing and what size fish you expect, we can do a more reasonable job of making suggestion. Good, when possible, to include the scientific name of the fish too.

I'm more or less ignorant about what fish are available in the area but a Google search brings up the following:

Catla (Catla catla)

Rohu (Labeo rohita)

Tilapia (Tilapia mozambica)

Common Carp (Cyprinus carpio)

Silver Carp (Molitrisc hypophtalmichthys)

Grass Carp

Cat Fish - Tiger (Don't know yet)

Maral / Snake head (Don't know yet)

Gojal (Don't know yet)

Golsi (Don't know yet)

Kadas

Hope this helps.

Rustam

Hello Vagabond,

The tackle mentioned in the initial post isn't a must have - I do not even know if it's appropriate for the job.

I have mentioned the type of fish in the post above. As to where, other than the River Cauvery, there is a canal that takes the water from the river to the city. We have fishing rights over a substantial part of this canal and two lakes - one large (Forbes sagar) and the other small (say, 4 to 5 acres).

I am unable to post pictures here but I could e-mail them to you, if that would help.

Since I have a small car I was inclined towards buying a rod that takes down into more than two pieces but was advised against them. However, I will have another look at the Exage range.

Would you have links to a few good angling shops in the Melbourne area? I have friend returning from there shortly and could request him to do the needful.

Thanks.

Rustam

[ 01. July 2005, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Rustam Bana ]

Rustam Bana:

However, I will have another look at the Exage range.

Have a look at the Summerlands site

http://www.summerlands.co.uk/Shimano_Exage_Rods.htm

Although multi-piece rods have a bad reputation, in recent years there has been a huge improvement

I own multi-piece fly and spinning rods and even a couple of beach-casters (Exage again) that I take on overseas fishing trips.

[ 01. July 2005, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Poor old Terry gets blamed for everything, and quite right too! We should blame him for everything else as well.

I haven't a clue what fishing in India is like but those Mahaseer beasties look prime candidates for a multiplier reel set up, especially if you need an uptide type of rod.

Have a look at ABU reels.

Nice to see you on A.N Rustam, welcome.

[ 01. July 2005, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Can't help you with a Melbourne address, but here is a Perth tackle shop that might be able to help you.

http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/default.htm

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.