The 'Northern Fish-in' - 27th/28th July

Guest Webbo

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoops, sorry Aero I missed the email notification to your post.

All the places have now been taken but if you wish to be added to the reserve list let me know and if a place becomes available I'll let you know.

Here's an update:

We have passed all the cheques received for the entries over to Pat Whalley of Macmillan Cancer Relief, a total of £800.00 and are now receiving donations in a slow but steady stream (watch them stop now :) ), tackle donations are now coming in for the raffle and over 160 emails have gone out to various companies and tackle shops regarding our appeal for raffle prize donations.

If you own a tackle shop, related business, any business, fishery, etc, and wish to donate something and haven't received an email I have included a copy of the contents below for you to see or pass on, anything will be gratefully received.

A page has been set up on our site acknowledging the companies to date ( www.maggotdrowning.com/fishin/sponsors.htm ) and will be added to as and when.

For all those who want to contribute in some way - buy a raffle ticket. The raffle is now logged and complies with the 'Lotteries & Amusements Act, 1976' and tickets will be available on-line towards the end of June. Further details to follow nearer the time.

So thanks to everyone sofar and here is the body of the email.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sirs,

I manage a non-profit website that is for the UK Coarse Angler and late last year we were asked by our regular visitors if we could organise a fish-in at a northern venue with the aim of raising funds for charity. Not wanting to turn away a challenge I said that we'd look into it and take it from there.

Shortly afterwards we had a phone call from Mr Stan Britton at Elvington Lake, Nr York offering us the full use of his fishery for the weekend of 27/28th July this year for free on one condition and that was that all ticket sale revenue for the event went to the charity.

We were thrilled to say the least and so the 'Northern Fish-in' was born.

It was put to our regulars to choose a charity and the one that was chosen was Macmillan Cancer Relief. Following this we contacted the charity and after a meeting with Pat Whalley, their Fundraising Manager, the event was registered.

We advertised the event on the website and sold all 40 pegs for the weekend at a cost of £20.00 per ticket raising £800.00 within a couple of weeks. This has since been passed on to Pat.

Anglers Julian Cundiff and Rich Jennings from 'Carpworld', 'Carp Talk' & 'Crafty Carper' are amongst the ones that have bought tickets and are helping to promote the event.

Sponsor forms have been distributed amongst all the participants to raise sponsorship from their friends and family and again we have received some encouraging feedback.

And then the problems started which is the reason behind this email. We wish to have a raffle over the weekend both for the anglers and for visitors to the event to raise further funds by the sale of raffle tickets. I have contacted a large number of local tackle shops trying to raise tackle donations for the raffle and so far, bar a couple of exceptions, I have received nothing. We cannot have a raffle without prizes so we are faced with two alternatives. One is to speculate on the amount of ticket sales and buy prizes which would go against the ethos of the event which is to raise funds, the other option is this email which is an appeal for donations. Can you please donate something, anything, no matter how large or small that we can use for raffle prizes? The more we have to offer the greater the number of tickets we would be able to sell which in turn would mean more raised for Macmillan Cancer Relief.

We will, of course, publish a list of all the companies which have donated prizes on our website.

Hopefully you will help support us with this fundraiser and if so I would be very grateful as a great amount of time and effort is being put in to make it the success that is intended.

If you require any further information or to speak to either myself or Pat Whalley in person please feel to contact us:

Dave Webster -

Telephone: Home ......., Mobile ......., email: Dave@maggotdrowning.com

Pat Whalley -

Telephone: Macmillan Cancer Relief 0113 2064082, Mobile: 07801 307058, email: PWhalley@macmillan.org.uk

If you can donate something, anything, please contact us or send it to me at the following address, everything received will be receipted by return.

Dave Webster,

5 Broomhill Drive,

Moortown,

Leeds LS17 6JW

West Yorkshire

Yours sincerely,

Dave Webster

http://www.maggotdrowning.com

www.maggotdrowning.com/fishin/fishin.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just and idea, if your local shop is not on-line why not print this off and give it to them?

Regards to all,

Dave

Webbo,

You're good at this. You should give this "organising events" thing a go for a living

All the best,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

ALAN FAWCETT:

Shuddup Elton..you'll give the soft nurven git a big head.

Anyway it's Stu who's done all the hard work Honest :rolleyes:

Hi Alan

just tell Dave & Stu, That when we come to Elvington I will bring my small camping gas fire

just in case they are a bit cold in the bivvy

mind you they arn!t far from a Pub I should

imagine+ :P:P

david

• 3 weeks later...
ALAN FAWCETT:

quote:

Originally posted by John S:

I'm afraid so
:(

Gutted n i was hoping to run a book on how many times you'd fall over before you got to the bank :(

Start the book mate, I'll be there after all :D

See you

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.