"Anglers face prosecution" - BBC

Vagabond

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee says:

"4X4's? Damned contraptions. Most of em wouldn't get two yards past the field gate before some poor sod in a Mondeo had to go and tow em out. Anyway, most Freelanders only go to school and back or to the hairdressers."

Fancy a tug of war, Lee? Mondeo versus Freelander on the muddy field of your choice? We can follow it up with a game of conkers (I will provide the eye protection).

The point about 4x4s is that 4x4 is a transmission system. It's a means of diverting the energy from an engine into both axles of a vehicle rather than just one. That's all. There's nothing demonic there, just the most practical means of delivering power safely to the road (or off-road) surface.

Sadly, Labour and Lib Dem politicians too thick to understand this have taken up an anti-4x4 stance. That's correct: they are against something they don't understand.

This has already been demonstrated in a small town in Holland, where the Greens-led local council wanted to ban 4x4s from their town centre. After seeking legal advice (ie 4x4 is a transmission system, not a vehicle) they voted to ban vehicles over a certain size instead. As a result, Land Rover Defender 90s can legally drive into the town centre, but DELIVERY VANS cannot. You see, most 4x4s take up no more road space than any other vehicle. That's pleased the traders no end...

That's the sort of poor legislation you get when populist politicans make crap decisions.

So what chance has angling got against the right-on police? Bugger all, that's what.

Fenboy

trent.barbeler:

Anyway, most Freelanders only go to school and back or to the hairdressers.

Slightly off subject,but the best advert for a second hand Range Rover I saw said "The nearest this superb vehicle has been to off road is the greengrocers in Epsom high street"

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I believe that the statistics show that if a pedestrian is hit by a 4X4 then they are far more likely to die, especially if the vehicle involved is fitted with that city must have, a cow catcher!

Don't blame the government but we live in a 'sue' society. If the government is aware of a problem, e.g. the greater danger to pedestrians, and does nothing about it, then the family of someone killed by a 4X4 could, theoretically, sue the government, and the relevant minister.

I guess that most 4 X 4 owners buy one because it is fashionable or says something about them, I wonder what!!?? :D:D . A few might buy them because they are practical for their job or way of life.

Slightly off topic but I feel the need to clarify.

My brother's actual name is Warren. When I was but a small infant I couldn't pronounce "Warren" and it would come out as "Woggen". The name sort of stuck with him but over the years became "Woggie" or "Wog" for short.

There is no racist undertones to this in the slightest, just a name that has evolved through myself and our other 2 brothers since the early 70's when I was still in nappies. To anyone that knows him, he is known today as Woggie or Wog.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Dear Fender's,

How on earth can you throw the gauntlet down in a challenge between your 4X4 and my done 240,000 miles already Mondeo!!!??? Be warned, its had a new head as I blew the old one up!! And its negotiated tracks that tank commanders fear!!

Seriously though.

I've actually owned a very large and powerful 4X4 for some time now complete with enormous bull bars. My 4x4 whilst pristine and shiny like the Greek gods underpants, is no fashion statement. The beast takes me down green lanes and farm tracks the like of which no Freelander type could ever wish to get down or return from without a tow out. (actually towed out two already!!) Its a fishing vehicle purchased so I can go to fish places most never visit. Its type has also done extremely well over the years in the Paris-Dakar rally.

How many Tory MP's own 4X4's??

Couldn't agree more on the "nanny state" and the present mob sat on the labour benches. But then again, can't say I'm all that impressed with the whole bunch of em which ever side of the house they sit.

Grantham and surrounding area is a Tory stronghold. No, its a Tory bastion!! Our local MP is a thoroughly good egg in terms of what he actually does within the area so gets my vote at election time.

I used to be staunchly labour for nearly all my working life, but not now. I don't, can't, won't, support anything that seeks to take away personal freedoms and liberty.

And if this mob seeks to ban my freedom to drive through bog and swamp, the beast gets a coat of Advantage Timber!!

Safe journey and safe return by the way Fender's.

Regards,

Lee.

Cheers, Lee. Grantham, eh? You're just up the A1 from me. We'll have to have a trip somewhere that only anglers with Land Rovers can reach.

By the way, Peter, there isn't any evidence to show that 4x4s kill more pedestrians than any other vehicle. On the contrary, the superior visibility afforded given by an elevated seating/driving postion makes them safer to all concerned.

Besides, vehicles don't kill people. It's drivers.

Fenboy

Not what I said Fenboy! I didn't say that more pedestrians are killed by 4 X 4s. I said that a pedestrian hit by a 4 X 4 is more likely to die than one hit by, for example, a Mondao. Not my theory, a statistic but please don't ask me where from.